Engine bay noise with A/C running | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine bay noise with A/C running

Ray500

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited AWD
Hi All,
I purchased a 2016 Limited AWD in the winter. Now that the weather is warming up, I am noticing when I turn the AC on, engine bay gets noisy as I drive the car and push the gas peddle etc. It sort of sounds like a whine or secondary engine growl which makes it seem like the engine is trying extra hard to get up to speed. The noise gets louder as you push harder on the gas. As the AC stays on, the noise kind of gets quieter but never completely goes away. I read somewhere that it could be normal operation of variable speed compressor or some other people say it could be a belt/tensioner or compressor bearing issue. Do you guys have any such noise? Is it considered normal operation? If not, any idea what the problem could be? My 07 Grand Caravan makes no such noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Ray.:wave:
I would not say that it is normal. Almost sounds like it could be a bearing noise. Is the Explorer still under warranty? If so, I suggest a trip to the dealer.

Peter

Thank you Peterk9. Unfortunately my bumper to bumper warranty has expired and I don't believe air conditioner is covered in powertrain warranty. I was just thinking maybe this could be a common issue but doesn't appear to be as on one has really chipped in with a similar problem.

Hi All,
I purchased a 2016 Limited AWD in the winter. Now that the weather is warming up, I am noticing when I turn the AC on, engine bay gets noisy as I drive the car and push the gas peddle etc. It sort of sounds like a whine or secondary engine growl which makes it seem like the engine is trying extra hard to get up to speed. The noise gets louder as you push harder on the gas. As the AC stays on, the noise kind of gets quieter but never completely goes away. I read somewhere that it could be normal operation of variable speed compressor or some other people say it could be a belt/tensioner or compressor bearing issue. Do you guys have any such noise? Is it considered normal operation? If not, any idea what the problem could be? My 07 Grand Caravan makes no such noise.

We had the same issue with ours. It sounded like bees buzzing almost. Took it to Ford and they replaced the plastic piece below the windshield/top of hood. It's the plastic right below the wipers. Hard to explain, but I think it may have been a recall.

We had the same issue with ours. It sounded like bees buzzing almost. Took it to Ford and they replaced the plastic piece below the windshield/top of hood. It's the plastic right below the wipers. Hard to explain, but I think it may have been a recall.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
That piece is called the 'cowl'. Many members have had that issue and there are several threads on it.

Peter

I have had that noise as well...at least it sounds similar. I just took it in today and they said it was the A/C compressor. I thought "hmmmm.... that sounds familiar And sure enough, I also had the A/C compressor replaced just over a year ago during an oil change when they found the same problem. It was fixed then using my Ford Extended Warranty. I thought well that's not good that it only lasted one years. The service tech agreed and said she would do some checking to see if they could get it replaced again without paying the $100 deductible. NOPE. She said that when something is covered with the extended warranty, the 2 year parts guarantee gets slashed to only 1 year. And since it was just past that year I have to pay the $100 deductible. That is some fine print they don't tell you when you pay for an ESP. Not only do you have a deductible on each and every repair (in addition to the considerable cost of the ESP), but they don't stand behind the parts. If I paid cash for the repair, they would have backed the part for two years. Is there still a Ford Rep on this forum? Because I would love to hear an explanation on this...

I have the Ford PremiumCare and have $0 deductible. The Ford reps are no longer on this Forum. I believe it has been about 2 years since they were here. This is that contact info they used on the their posts.
p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford

Peter

Thanks, I'm going to call them this evening. I'll let you know how it goes...

I just had my AC compressor replaced this week on our 6 month old EX for the exact same noise you describe. They (dealer) said it was not "normal" and got it replaced (the EX was in for the Exhaust CO TSB anyway at the same time anyway). Well, after only 2 days, the noise is back and sounds just as loud as before. It is definitely something to do with the AC, since, if I turn the AC off, the noise is gone under acceleration. I'm sure the dealer is going to be overjoyed hearing me call them back on this. LOL

UPDATE (5 Jul 18). Just took my EX back in to the dealer today (as stated above) for what I originally thought was the AC compressor making the same noise (faint gear like whining). And even the dealer thought the AC was the source of the noise since it only seemed to happen when the AC was activated and under acceleration (that last part should have tipped them off and myself as well). Long story short, it was NOT the AC at all... when a different tech was road testing the vehicle, he pinpointed what the source of the noise was: the PTU. He compared it to other brand new (2018) EX's on the lot and they were silent. After opening up the PTU on ours, it was almost dry!! The gears inside were lashing when hot (hence the whine sound), they ordered a new (updated part# I'm told) PTU and will install it tomorrow. Our EX has less than 10k KM's (6k miles) on it and I thought ours being a late (Job #2) 2017 build, it would have had the updated Police style PTU. I guess ours just missed the cutoff, the tech said all of the 2018's have the new, "beefier" PTU on them (as he put it, not my words, LOL). I'm glad I persisted with this noise, since we were just about to go on a 3000km road trip in a couple of weeks. Just thought I would let others know in this thread, that the noise may not be your AC compressor at all..... but the dreaded PTU problem I've heard about on these.

UPDATE (5 Jul 18). Just took my EX back in to the dealer today (as stated above) for what I originally thought was the AC compressor making the same noise (faint gear like whining). And even the dealer thought the AC was the source of the noise since it only seemed to happen when the AC was activated and under acceleration (that last part should have tipped them off and myself as well). Long story short, it was NOT the AC at all... when a different tech was road testing the vehicle, he pinpointed what the source of the noise was: the PTU. He compared it to other brand new (2018) EX's on the lot and they were silent. After opening up the PTU on ours, it was almost dry!! The gears inside were lashing when hot (hence the whine sound), they ordered a new (updated part# I'm told) PTU and will install it tomorrow. Our EX has less than 10k KM's (6k miles) on it and I thought ours being a late (Job #2) 2017 build, it would have had the updated Police style PTU. I guess ours just missed the cutoff, the tech said all of the 2018's have the new, "beefier" PTU on them (as he put it, not my words, LOL). I'm glad I persisted with this noise, since we were just about to go on a 3000km road trip in a couple of weeks. Just thought I would let others know in this thread, that the noise may not be your AC compressor at all..... but the dreaded PTU problem I've heard about on these.

Thank you for the update, I have always thought our Explorer was rather noisy when running the A/C.

This may sound dumb, but what is a PTU? I am assuming Power Take off Unit? Or is this something to do with AWD?

Yes, it is Ford's version (on transverse mounted drivetrains, like our Explorer's, Edge, Flex, Taurus, etc.) of a power transfer case that conventional 4WD's (like the F150) use. It is bolted to the transmission on the passenger side output shaft. It is always spinning (just a simple set of gears driven off of spline on the FWD axle) and sending power to the rear differential. All the "magic" happens via an electronically controlled clutch pack at the rear end. Its been shown in the past that the PTU is a rather weak point due to heat (the exhaust is very close to the unit) and lack of oil capacity to lubricate it in harsh conditions.
I may have spoken too soon, since only a couple of days after getting our EX back, the noise has returned. I'm thinking it wasn't the PTU afterall, or, if it is, the new unit was faulty pre installation... good grief. LOL...

Thank you for the update, I have always thought our Explorer was rather noisy when running the A/C.

This may sound dumb, but what is a PTU? I am assuming Power Take off Unit? Or is this something to do with AWD?
PTU = Power Transfer Unit.
I don't see how a PTU would create any additional noise when the A/C is running, especially if the vehicle was parked. I have never noticed any more noise whether the A/C was on or off.

Peter

I don't see how a PTU would create any additional noise when the A/C is running, especially if the vehicle was parked. I have never noticed any more noise whether the A/C was on or off.

Peter
Thanks for that, I was wondering the same thing on how that could have anything to do with the A/C.

The noise my makes is what I am thinking is normal, its not bad, but its much more noticeable than my other non Ford products. Also the noise has not gotten worse and the temps have been rather high here where I live(100-109F) so I am not too worried.

Peter
This is exactly what I told them the first time too... I think at this point, they are just "finding" things to replace and hope for the best. Argh.... frustrating. I'm going a long 2 week trip to the east coast next week... maybe something will actually blow up... (hope not). LOL.

I have a 2017 XLT I bought used with just over 21k not very long ago. I have noticed that with increasing temps that I get these "whines" explained here. Never considered the AC compressor and have always worried it was the PTU. Since buying the 2017 I have put 7K on it without any noticeable issue other than this. I do a lot of bay area driving so I am stuck in crappy traffic a lot. I do notice that there is some hard shifting during those traffic times.

I do believe I am going to try to see if the "whine" goes off after turning off the AC... at any rate it sounds like a visit to Ford is in my future.

I have a 2017 XLT I bought used with just over 21k not very long ago. I have noticed that with increasing temps that I get these "whines" explained here. Never considered the AC compressor and have always worried it was the PTU. Since buying the 2017 I have put 7K on it without any noticeable issue other than this. I do a lot of bay area driving so I am stuck in crappy traffic a lot. I do notice that there is some hard shifting during those traffic times.

I do believe I am going to try to see if the "whine" goes off after turning off the AC... at any rate it sounds like a visit to Ford is in my future.
Your profile shows 1993 XLT. Time to update.:)

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I actually still have the 93. It's sort of wasting away in my drive way. Runs well and has a new clutch but I started doing a 6" Duff build on it before acquiring my 73 Early Bronco Project. When that happened the 93 just sort of when into limbo. I also have an 89 Bronco 2 2wd that is on the back burner. Fords run deep in this family. Lol.

Anyway, I certainly need to add a vehicle or two that is for sure.

Cheers

Nemi

Any updates to the whine noise. Just brought mine into the dealer and they are going to try the compressor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any updates to the whine noise. Just brought mine into the dealer and they are going to try the compressor
Nope, no updates. Several thousand km's later and its still going strong. AC worked all summer (even though it did make noise on hot days) and it hasn't gotten any worse and is very quiet most of the time. It is going in for another service shortly (just an oil change service, but, the dealer said they will listen for the noise and investigate again - different dealer this time). So, I'm at the point where it just a drive and "monitor" kind of situation, but, it's not a daily driver vehicle for us anymore (picked up a Fusion for work commuting duties, much cheaper on gas) and the Explorer has an extended warranty anyway, so, not overly concerned at this point.

Back