• Register Today It's free!

Engine fitment

Dave McNulty

Reaction score
City, State
Cinnaminson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford Sportrac XLT
What differences are there between 05 explorer 4×4 engine and 05 sportrac 4x4 engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4x4 SOHC engine has a balance shaft where the 2wd version typically does not. If swapping engines, the lack of the balance shaft in the replacement engine isn't considered that big of a deal.

If both engines are from '05 4x4's I don't know that there is any difference, particularly in the long blocks. The long blocks were the same from '98-'10 or '11.

The 4x4 SOHC engine has a balance shaft where the 2wd version typically does not. If swapping engines, the lack of the balance shaft in the replacement engine isn't considered that big of a deal.

If both engines are from '05 4x4's I don't know that there is any difference, particularly in the long blocks. The long blocks were the same from '98-'10 or '11.

When I look for used engine for my 05 sportrac 4x4, used or rebuilt/reman suppliers alway state: "fits explorer exc. Sportrac. Seems like the sportrac engine is unique. I know the intakes manifold is different..but remans dontt include the intake, so curious why 4x4 explorer engine won't fit 4x4 sportrac.

I had an 02 4x4 sport trac I flipped. Found a low miles engine from an 02 explorer Sport. Junk yard says compatible (it went in perfect) but '02 4 door 4x4 explorer engine was NOTcompatible. Curious if anyone knows differences?

Real difference once again is basically upper intake, and fuel injectors. The long block is the same on both engines with the exception for a 2 wheel drive versus an 4 wheel drive vehicle. Regular Explorer 4wd and Sport Trac 4wd, plus 2wd are compatible for engine swap just requiring the long block to be the same (4.0 SOHC). Koda is correct.

Long block is an automotive term for an engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft (usually), and valve train. A long block does not include fuel system, electrical, intake, and exhaust components, as well as other components. The yards are just referring to what's listed in their guide and this swap has been done here many times.

I brought a 2007 Mustang 4.0 2wd drive entire engine to replace my 4.0 2003 4wd engine. We used only the long block from the Mustang and changed the upper intake, fuel injector, fuel rails,spark plugs and wires, engine wiring harness and other upper intake parts from the Explorer Sport engine.

Ok great info! Thank you.
You would think the used engine suppliers would i tell you this info... that engines are compatible if you use your intake, fuel rails/injectors, wire harness, etc. Sure would make finding a lower miles replacement engine easier! I ended up putting all new OEM timing chains, cassettes, and guides and tensioners in since it still ran. (Only left front was cassette was serviceable, the remaining tensioners were broke) Hopefully all goes well. Going back in next week sometime.
Hopefully I won't need an engine.
Thanks again for the great info.

Ok great info! Thank you.
You would think the used engine suppliers would i tell you this info... that engines are compatible if you use your intake, fuel rails/injectors, wire harness, etc. Sure would make finding a lower miles replacement engine easier! I ended up putting all new OEM timing chains, cassettes, and guides and tensioners in since it still ran. (Only left front was cassette was serviceable, the remaining tensioners were broke) Hopefully all goes well. Going back in next week sometime.
Hopefully I won't need an engine.
Thanks again for the great info.

They probably don't know and don't want to take a chance on getting something returned. Most people know more about what will work and what wont. Having to reuse a lot of the bolt on peripherals is common practice for engine swaps.

They probably don't know and don't want to take a chance on getting something returned. Most people know more about what will work and what wont. Having to reuse a lot of the bolt on peripherals is common practice for engine swaps.

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for the input.

Real difference once again is basically upper intake, and fuel injectors. The long block is the same on both engines with the exception for a 2 wheel drive versus an 4 wheel drive vehicle. Regular Explorer 4wd and Sport Trac 4wd, plus 2wd are compatible for engine swap just requiring the long block to be the same (4.0 SOHC). Koda is correct.

Long block is an automotive term for an engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft (usually), and valve train. A long block does not include fuel system, electrical, intake, and exhaust components, as well as other components. The yards are just referring to what's listed in their guide and this swap has been done here many times.

I brought a 2007 Mustang 4.0 2wd drive entire engine to replace my 4.0 2003 4wd engine. We used only the long block from the Mustang and changed the upper intake, fuel injector, fuel rails,spark plugs and wires, engine wiring harness and other upper intake parts from the Explorer Sport engine.

Does your Mustang motor run perfectly with the Explorer fuel injectors?
I also have 2007 Mustang 4.0 that I'm putting in a 2001 Explorer Sport. I see you are using Mustang spark plugs and I noticed the reach was longer on the Mustang plug, but I also noticed the Mustang injectors extend into the head (reach) farther (as well as the plugs). I've been toying with the idea of using the Mustang injectors by changing the explorer electrical connectors, but not sure if it is worth the trouble. I would appreciate the feedback. -Ben Jammin

Does your Mustang motor run perfectly with the Explorer fuel injectors?
I also have 2007 Mustang 4.0 that I'm putting in a 2001 Explorer Sport. I see you are using Mustang spark plugs and I noticed the reach was longer on the Mustang plug, but I also noticed the Mustang injectors extend into the head (reach) farther (as well as the plugs). I've been toying with the idea of using the Mustang injectors by changing the explorer electrical connectors, but not sure if it is worth the trouble. I would appreciate the feedback. -Ben Jammin

I utilized the Explorer upper intake, Explorer fuel rail and Explorer injectors along with the Explorer spark plugs. Yes, it does run perfectly with the Explorer fuel injectors plus idles and sounds nice and quiet. I am 100 percent happy and have no regrets about buying an good used Mustang 4.0 engine (51K) instead of a new 4.0 long block. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel, and didn't chose to try and experiment with the Mustang injectors and/or Mustang spark plugs. I don't know if anyone has experimented with the Mustang injectors and Mustang spark plugs.

I utilized the Explorer upper intake, Explorer fuel rail and Explorer injectors along with the Explorer spark plugs. Yes, it does run perfectly with the Explorer fuel injectors plus idles and sounds nice and quiet. I am 100 percent happy and have no regrets about buying an good used Mustang 4.0 engine (51K) instead of a new 4.0 long block. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel, and didn't chose to try and experiment with the Mustang injectors and/or Mustang spark plugs. I don't know if anyone has experimented with the Mustang injectors and Mustang spark plugs.
Thanks. I agree it is enough work without experimenting, so I’m going to use the explorer injectors. I’ve already bought the mustang plugs, so I’m going to use them and if it doesn’t work out I can change them to Explorer plugs. Appreciate the feedback.

Back