engine knock after top end rebuild | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine knock after top end rebuild

Sounds like very low throttle pre-detonation.

Double-tripple check your EGR vac lines. (proper routing)

A wide open EGR at idle will cause pinning at very low throttle.

In particular the DPFE:

The Lower/larger/longer hose on the rear port

The short smaller diameter on the front port.

And the EVR (EGR actuator)
DSCN1372_zpse2abceb1.jpg

...For other fuel related testing and pics, go here...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221335

...This is for a 93-94 X...I can not find one for the 91-92 X yet..:(
0900c1528018ede5jx4.gif

Vacuum Diagrahm's

91-93 Explorer
0900c1528018ee0f.gif

__________________________________________________________________________________

94 Explorer
0900c1528018ee10.gif

_____________________________________________________________________________________

95-99 Explorer/Mountaineer 4.0L
0900c1528018ee14.gif

____________________________________________________________________________________

96-99 Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0L
0900c1528018ee15.gif

_________________________________________________________________________________________

0900c1528018ee1cyl0.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only thing is that his is a 94 and dont belive he has all that...but I do agree I think it low idle ping of some sort or hope so atleast...

Yes, I know it's a 94', so's mine, that's why I'm chim'n in here.

I have an affinity for 94' owners. :D

And he does have the EGR system, you can see it in his video.

I hate to say it after all he's been through but I think he's gonna have to flash the PCM to get the EGR to cooperate with the higher compression heads. The exhaust manifold pressure differential is going to be different at least at idle. I'm hoping it will not be out of range of the DPFE to compensate.

Most likely though it'll just lope a bit at idle. Once he gets it sorted out.

If he has egr shouldnt he have cps? Could have sworn I asked if he did..my 94 doesnt have either

And where can you get a obd1 ecm flashed?? Only way I know to change a ecm is with a chip of some sort and your talking big money at that point

And where can you get a obd1 ecm flashed?? Only way I know to change a ecm is with a chip of some sort and your talking big money at that point

Here:
http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/104/28/

Too much unless you're a serious mod madness guy? Yours is modded to the hilt I just assumed you cracked your eec-iv and tweaked it.

Here:
http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/104/28/

Too much unless you're a serious mod madness guy? Yours is modded to the hilt I just assumed you cracked your eec-iv and tweaked it.

Im not tuned at all on my NA motor..my sc motor I am sct dyno tuned.I looked into having my sc motor flashed but couldnt find anywhere that could do it.I was told I would need a chip to tune it, why I went sct.if I could have my NA flashed cheap I would do it in a heart beat..

Has cps? Like I was thinking earlier maybe his cps is a tooth off.

You talking Crank or Cam position?

I don't think he removed or did anything with those, did he?

other than the cam chain?

Well, he needs to double check all the usual suspect first then we can go nuts with the tune.

For right now he should pull the octane sorting plug to retard the timing 3* I would think.

You talking Crank or Cam position?

I don't think he removed or did anything with those, did he?

other than the cam chain?

Well, he needs to double check all the usual suspect first then we can go nuts with the tune.

For right now he should pull the octane sorting plug to retard the timing 3* I would think.

Cam

Yea that would least tell if its a octane thing

No need to move that to do the head, so hopefully he didn't.

His last post said he was headed to a shop, so we'll see if that gets us more info.

You know,,, He might have taken it out to get some more room, ,, and if he did he's got some PITA work to do to get it back timed right.

And his gas is two months old!

ardvark, isn't on line right now, :(

he's probably ripping hair out. Poor guy.. I'm check'n back later though this saga is get'n twitchy.

:hammer:

:popcorn:

Hey, jd;

Did you go check out our TruckHaven run. Vids & pics are up!

Updates?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry, havent been able to post due to javascrpit problems. heres the update: everything is the same. i checked all the vac lines, and decided against messing with the throttle screw to set the idle since its going to the shop.

i dont think my car has a camshaft position sensor. i know it has a crankshaft position sensor though. im super positive that theres no way i could have messed up the timing, but im not ruling anything out.

Back