ENGINE PROBLEMS WITH 1993 EXLPORERS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ENGINE PROBLEMS WITH 1993 EXLPORERS

S

SUSAN

I HAVE A 1993 FORD EXPLORER XLT THAT IS VERY PROBLEMATIC. RECENTLY, I HAVE HAD TO PUT IN A NEW COOLANT SYSTEM AND HAVE NOW BLOWN A HEAD GASKET. IS THIS UNUSUAL? THE CAR HAS 63000 MILES. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blown head gaskest are normal every one here has had them. Our 91 XLt has had about three sets. It is not a big deal To us because me and my dad change them out ourselfs. The deal I bought my Navajo from changed them out before I bought it they did not take there time the gaskest are starting to leak again (it has been one year and six months). Any body have a good brand that hold up longer than normal...

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

I have 162,000 miles on my 1992 XLT and so far its still on its first set of head gaskets. These motors don't like getting hot. If you get them hot you will blow them. I have heard of people blowing them.. just like I hear about the head gaskets in the Ford taurus blowing. It seems that once they get overheated it lessens the life of the head gasket.

Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

Traded in my 93 XLT 4.0 5 spd at 97000 w/o a head gasket problem (never had one on ANY vehicle I've owned). Got into the habit of flushing the cooling system every 6 months. Also do an engine cleaning and I use motor flush before each oil change

Some cars run forever w/o any care, but some others require alot of TLC and extra PM. Don't scrimp on the new gaskets (I've always used Fel-Pro) and make sure whoever does the job doesn't take any shortcuts. Also want to make sure the surfaces are 'trued'

------------------
Don't Worry about things you can control...
Don't Worry about things you cannot control

Susan-I have a '91xlt with the original head gaskets on it. I have 131K on it currently. I agree that you need to keep a cool running engine to prevent this from happening again. Look at replacing your original single row radiator with a higher capacity one and maybe a cooler thermostat. I had a triple row all aluminum radiator made for me when the original one gave out. I also had my waterpump, fan and fan clutch changed as well. There are also some additives you can add to your coolant which will make your engine run cooler. Considering your Explorers age you might want to check all of the above parts for wear and leakage.

my bad I was tired and not reading the post very closely... I was thinking of the valve cover gaskets. SORRY BOUT THAT!!!!

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

WHOA..TIME OUT.. I have a 95, lightly mod'd..just last week I changed out the serp belt and stat. before, never got into norm range, now with the 195 stat, goes to top dead center on the gauge within a coupl 'o miles. are you tellin' me now that I risk blown head gaskets????? WHAT IS TOO HOT ?? again, it goes to TDC on the gauge, no further???do I need to go back to a 160 180 stat, what is EOM on the stat from Ford?? BTW I have 54K on it..

KPS,
If the temp guage never goes over TDC then I wouldn't worry about it. If it starts at TDC and then climbs way past it when your pushing the cooling system then you need to change the radiator or do something to increase the cooling capacity. Lowering the 'stat temp will not fix an overheating problem. It will keep it cooler when your not over taxing the cooling system but when you put more heat in than it can take out even a lower 'stat will overheat. Again... if it never goes much past TDC then I wouldn't worry about it..

Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

Susan, luckily I have not shared your probs with my 93 XL w/101,500 miles. I usually keep things simple and they usually work for me, like keeping the radiator topped off with good clean coolant, keep clean oil in the engine, clean fluid in the tranny, & good belts & hoses. Hasn't failed me yet. Maybe I'm just lucky, but my wife and I have been through 4 autos in the past 10 years and have never had a breakdown.

Hopefully you don't have the same '93 Explorer luck I had - at 68000 miles, my engine blew up! It just started making noise, then WHAMMO! it broke a connecting rod, freezing the engine, requiring a whole new one. Uggh, that sucked to say the least. It just came out of nowhere, too. Shops thought it was a loud lifter, but it proved to us otherwise. I now have a '91 Navajo with 133K miles on it - this thing runs great! Good luck, and I hope my story can prepare you for the worst of circumstances, which hopefully won't be your's. Hope this helps some.

A significant portion of engine heat (40 to 60%)is rejected through the exhaust system. A crushed exhaust pipe or colapsed muffler or plugged cat can cause increased engine backpressure that can result in increased engine temperatures. While you are having your cooling system checked out have the exhaust system checked for restrictions. This can sometimes be detected by just listening to the tailpipe as the revs are slowly increased; the sound of the exhaust will sound more like a compressed air leak.

Back