• Register Today It's free!

Engine rattle!

Purch1977

Reaction score
City, State
Nottingham
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
Ok guys I have been hearing a rattle that I initially thought was the timeline chain rattle however it was coming from the front on the left ( as you look from the front of the truck) so I bought a stethoscope and had a listen to the engine around the tensioner's and on them. Ther wasn't any abnormal noises so I listen to the housing around the serpentine belt alternator, idler pulley, tensioner, PSP water pump! I found that the idle pulley was let's say really noisy however the alternator did put out a noise but the best way to describe it would be electrical mechanical?
I have run the engine with out the aux connected and there is defiantly no chain noise. I am unsure weather to change / overhaul the alternator? Anyone in the UK had any experience with this one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to overhaul the bearings in the alt is an easy job if you can get the pulley off. Bearings from a bearings supplier would be a couple of quid. Or take it to an alt repair guy who will do it for cheap.

Like wise if the bearings on the idler are shot they can be pressed out and replaced.

To be totally truthful I have ordered the idler pulley as it does look worn! I just haven't striped an alternator before! So bearing from bearing supplier would do it?

Managed to replace the idler pulley bearing with no issues I have taken the tension off to inspect and it is leaking grease also check the alternator and the rear bearing has a tone of play in it! Is there any way to remove the pulley from the shaft without and impact driver?

I have managed one by clamping very tight in a vice between 2 bits of wood. Another one I tried this didn't work so I just took it to my local tyre place and they buzzed it off for me.

I now have a 240v impact gun bought from machine mart for £70. Best tool I've bought in years, great for suspension bolts and hub nuts et all.

I have a garage just round the corner! A few mince pies and he buzzed it off and back on again!! Result!! Should be fitted tomorrow!

Glad that is sorted.
You found some bearings to fit then? The alt came apart OK? I've only done one off can mr2 and a Saab 9000

Yeah the pulley nut was a pain but the alternator split really easy bearings where standard sizes and only cost £3 in total! The slip ring isn't the easiest thing to change as it had signs of wear however the truck has 116k and it was only worn a mm trying to take measurements I think I have between 1 and 2 mm left

Back