Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

engine rev

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by abarlow, April 20, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. abarlow

abarlow New Member

City, State:
      brunswick, Me
      Year and Model:
      98 Explorer
      98' 4.0 L
      With the engine at idle it sounds like the engine is reving with no change in rpm indications. It won't do it long enough to take a look under the hood. It never does it on intitial start up, only after driving for a while. It will stop after hitting the gas for a second or two. Any ideas?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Robb

Robb Well-Known Member

Any rev of the engine should show up on the tach. I have heard that O2 sensors could cause the up/ down rev. I also had a Honda once that would do the same thing (usually in hot weather) and after engine heated up. I thought it was sensor somewhere, but found out the throttle cable just needed some lubing. It was fine when cold, but when it heated up, the cable would expand and rub on sleeve.

4. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      Year and Model:
      2008 JK
      Does it do it with both the A/C off and on? If it doesn't do it with the A/C off (system completely off) then it's the A/C compressor cycling. This is normal.

5. abarlow

abarlow New Member

City, State:
      brunswick, Me
      Year and Model:
      98 Explorer
      After reading some other posts, it may be the idle air control valve. I'll check on the a/c on and off. Thanks for the info. How hard is it to change the iac valve?

6. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      Year and Model:
      2008 JK
      Takes about 10 minutes to change. No biggie at all.