• Register Today It's free!

Engine sounds

mcclain61

Reaction score
City, State
bristol tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
I have an 04 4.0 and it has a sometimes rattle on the passenger side of the engine. My original thought was the timing chain but then I got to thinking that, that would be more consistent and all the time.

What's the chance that it's some broke down lash adjusters?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles do you have on it?

I think 142k but it's been doing it since 114k when I bought it 3 years ago.

Started out as some upper rpm rattle 3-4K and would stop or quiten down with an oil change.

There is the occasional start up on warm where it doesn't rattle.

If the weather holds off Saturday I'm going to pull the valve cover off.

Not a huge deal if it is a broken cassette I have another long block to throw in it.

Just hoping I can put that off for a while lol

more then likely its going to be the nylon tensioner has worn through.

Probably nothing likes to be an easy fix

It's horrible all they've done is take a pushrod block slap ohc heads that are exactly the same just turned around.

It's tempting to try and convert it back to pushrods. 1 front timing chain that doesn't have retarded $0.50 cassettes lol

If I could make it work with all the gauges I'd drop a 351 or 302 in but the transmission is to much trouble

It's the tensioner not getting enough oil pressure to keep the chains tight. Once you drive it builds pressure and work normal. Start saving your pennies, you're looking at a few thousand dollar repair bill.

Nope no thousand repair bill got a whole long block waiting to go in just waiting for time to pull out and drop in

IMG_0133.jpg

Mother ******** lol can't say I didn't expect it. Glad it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be

It's horrible all they've done is take a pushrod block slap ohc heads that are exactly the same just turned around.

It's tempting to try and convert it back to pushrods. 1 front timing chain that doesn't have retarded $0.50 cassettes lol

If I could make it work with all the gauges I'd drop a 351 or 302 in but the transmission is to much trouble
@mcclain61
Not if you have the experience and ability! Since 5.0 OHV was used, mounting parts are available. Throw away the 5R55S, use an AOD, revert back to running EEC-IV ala 1990s, hell with the sophisticated (and useless) ABS, which by itself can disable you, it is possible to use earlier, simpler EFI without the overall hassle of today's electronics. Incidentals would be lots of re-wiring (no problem for an electrical nut), a return to tank fuel line, EEC-IV fuel pump (use an in-line, outside tank pump as specced for late '80s F-150s, it works; I used that in my '79 Ranchero w/5.0 HO Mustang eng).

As you might have imagined, I had considered going this route to keep my '04 usable, after MONTHS of trying to get to the bottom of the "Forced Limited Power", "Forced Engine Idle", DTCs pointing at Throttle Body (WRONG!). It was the ABS Module after all, took over control of my vehicle! Son of a *****! imp

That sounds about right

I have a 2000 limited 5.0 model that's rusted to pieces

I like everything about it except the awd part. Great for hwy but off-road I like to go 2wd until I need 4wd

Its bad enough. That's the rear so that pile o junk needs to come out to get at the bolt that's under the flex plate. Either that or dropping the transmission. Fun fun fun.

edit: I see you have a drop in ready anyway.

Yup it had a broke valve spring on #4 intake valve everything else looks pretty good in it nothing loose, just going to get s new water pump, spark plugs, oil filter, 5w-20 and a bottle of Lucas throw it in make it last another year or 2 then who knows lol

Oh, I don't know if Lucas will do anything for you, your completely missing the top half of your rear cassette there. That chain will start eating through that bolt shortly and fill the sump on your oil pump with metal.

Oh, I don't know if Lucas will do anything for you, your completely missing the top half of your rear cassette there. That chain will start eating through that bolt shortly and fill the sump on your oil pump with metal.

Lmao no I was referring to my engine I have to drop down into it

And idk it's been like that since I bought it with 114k or so on it

Just figured since I had access to a long block for $30 why not address the issue, idk why there isn't a replacement cassette out that is reinforced in a steel bracket

Back