Engine stalled: "Low oil pressure" | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Greetings everyone,

Just took delivery of a 2013 Explorer Limited Tuxedo Black with 302A and dual moonroofs last week. It's is indeed such a fantastic car. Stil can't get enough of playing with all the features. I'm from the Philippines and you guys won't imagine how difficult it is to get your hands on an Explorer. Not only do we pay full retail price (including our high taxes), the dealers force buyers to pay ridiculous rates for their in-house insurance, tint and car registration. Cost $67,000 overall. But that's another story. lol

On my way home from the dealer with my brand new Ex, it stalled on an overpass. A "low oil pressure" warning popped up on the left LCD screen and suddenly the engine would not accelerate. The brakes, steering, A/C, lights all worked. Luckily I was on a downward slope so I just coasted down to the middle of the highway, put my hazards on and called up my car sales agent. I restarted the engine and it worked as if nothing went wrong.

Ford took my car and gave a "thorough" inspection and did not find any problems and just gave it back. I'm definitely not satisfied with their response. I would've preferred if they found a problem so they can actually fix it. Do they expect me to just keep driving until it stalls again? Hope the next time it happens there will be no accident.

Anyone have experience with engine stalling accompanied by a low oil pressure warning? I'd really appreciate any insights or advice. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello All,
We are in Breckenridge for holidays and driving wife's 2013 ExplorerV6. When arriving at our cabin, road conditions would not allow us to enter driveway...too steep. I turned around and backed up hill with little problem until the "oil pressure" LCD came on and car stalled. We rolled to bottom of driveway and tried again...same thing again.
My situation made me think it might be caused by oil being taken away from oil sensor due to steep incline.
Just my shade tree thoughts.
Thanks for all the replies I've read

no codes saved for "low oil pressure"

This is just my opinion but my experience with my steering rack confirmed to me the funny way my computer records faults. I say funny because when I think it's a no brainer that my car should have a code stored when the warning screen tells me there is a problem, the car does not record anything. AND if you read in this forum about people experiencing problems with their throttle body, you will see the exact same logic carried out by the car's warning system. With every problem my car has had, the computer HAS NEVER RECORDED the problem that the SAME computer alerted me to by flashing the particular warning on my left screen. Every time I get a warning I have scheduled an appointment at the dealer and every time the dealer has said there was no code saved, so guess what? That's right, no repair. The dealer keeps telling me they need a code to warranty repair my car. To be fair, one time my car did show a code but I had to drive it straight to the dealer with the warning light on and when the service writer saw it they could not deny it. How could this be you ask? Why not help the service techs quickly diagnose problems and get people back on the road instead of upsetting people and costing Ford an easily lost trust. I can't answer this, I'm not Ford. Ford and my dealer has done a pretty good job helping me out but Ford can never compensate me for the amount of time off work taking this car in and the many restless nights of anxiety that has left me questioning my intelligence. Why is this car not recording the low oil pressure warning? Why? Why? Why? Computers only do what they are told to do and so if it does not record it, then logic says, because it was never told to do so, or worse, it was told not to, the result is the same. The statement from my dealer that basically said "no code, no warranty repair" keeps going through my head. I have not had the same low oil pressure problem some are experiencing but I feel your pain. You are left feeling unsure and given the option I now drive another car when I know I have to get there. Wait, I think I just came up with a great slogan "For when you have to get there!" PM me for the rights for that one. By the way your slogan has to be true for it to be affective. But after countless reading of this forum, I keep hearing the same complaint about no code saved. I'm not saying this is what is happening, but something is going on. Actually more like not going on. I only write these long articles to get people to think.

Hello All,
We are in Breckenridge for holidays and driving wife's 2013 ExplorerV6. When arriving at our cabin, road conditions would not allow us to enter driveway...too steep. I turned around and backed up hill with little problem until the "oil pressure" LCD came on and car stalled. We rolled to bottom of driveway and tried again...same thing again.
My situation made me think it might be caused by oil being taken away from oil sensor due to steep incline.
Just my shade tree thoughts.
Thanks for all the replies I've read

If it was truly low pressure, it was oil taken away from the pickup - the pressure warning is downstream of the oil pump, so it sucking up air could indeed cause a low pressure condition.

My expectation, though, would be that unless the oil level was more than a quart low, no slope the vehicle would remain upright on should uncover the oil pickup. When you checked, was it indeed low?

Did the OP finally solved the problem? He's not being here to report back

experience this last time i was refueling with the engine running. low pressure warning then it went to Limp mode. so i turn off then start again, its back to normal. i dont know if the gas pressure is associated with this as the gas tank is open and engine is running. i checked the oil level the next morning and its fine.

How many miles on your vehicle? No connection between fueling and low oil pressure. However idling for an extended could result in low oil pressure if the engine is showing internal wear.

experience this last time i was refueling with the engine running.
That's not allowed up here. I've seen attendants at self serve stations shut off the pump from inside on people doing so. Safety issue.
The issue (limp mode) you described could very well have to do with having the filler flap being open since that could result in a code being set as well. There have been posts about similar issues due to problems with the filler tube system.

Peter

I got the "low oil pressure" warning light. Checked oil for proper level, fired up my OBD2 sensor and Torque app on my phone just in case. All was good. Drove it for a bit and noticed no temp rise or anything else abnormal other than the light.

Replaced the oil pressure sensor near the oil filter and we were back in business. Local o'Reilly had them in stock.

s4605_primary.jpg

My Explorer shut off ( loss power/ would not accelerate) one day as I was driving to work and it was only about 3 years old. The code was red and displayed low engine oil pressure. I had it towed to a mechanic and they were unable find any problems. Almost TWO YEARS later the same exact thing happened. I had it towed to AAA and they were unable to find any problems. HOWEVER 6 months after that instance I took it to ford was told I need a new transmission due to internal damage. I’m highly convinced this is a manufacturing issue.

My Explorer shut off ( loss power/ would not accelerate) one day as I was driving to work and it was only about 3 years old. The code was red and displayed low engine oil pressure. I had it towed to a mechanic and they were unable find any problems. Almost TWO YEARS later the same exact thing happened. I had it towed to AAA and they were unable to find any problems. HOWEVER 6 months after that instance I took it to ford was told I need a new transmission due to internal damage. I’m highly convinced this is a manufacturing issue.

I fail to see the connection between (apparently false) engine low oil pressure warning and a transmission failure, but, alas, I've never claimed to be very smart....

Welcome to the Forum Ashley.:wave:
Did the dealer tell you that the previous 'stalling' issues were due to the issue with the transmission? I'm not experienced in transmissions but find it strange that if they did link the 2 issues that you would be able to drive 2+ years with a bad transmission. Perhaps the issues are not related. In any case, it would seem that you are likely over the 5 year, 60K mile warranty. There have been very few posts here about transmission failures.
2013 Explorer Requires New Transmission
2013 Ford Explorer Transmission Failure at 70k

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Ashley.:wave:
Did the dealer tell you that the previous 'stalling' issues were due to the issue with the transmission? I'm not experienced in transmissions but find it strange that if they did link the 2 issues that you would be able to drive 2+ years with a bad transmission. Perhaps the issues are not related. In any case, it would seem that you are likely over the 5 year, 60K mile warranty. There have been very few posts here about transmission failures.
2013 Explorer Requires New Transmission
2013 Ford Explorer Transmission Failure at 70k

Peter
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your response.
The issues were not linked together by a mechanic
However, I find difficult to believe the issues from the beginning did not lead to damaging the transmission.

I am sorry but a failure on a 5 1/2 year old vehicle is not a manufacturing issue. Low oil pressure is typically the sensor that can be changed out and fix the false warning.

The low oil pressure warning has zero to do with a transmission.

Back