• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap

tedium27

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT SOHC
I have a 2001 Explorer XLT and am swaping out the engine. I have a line on a 1999, all things considered, it should be a simple swap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's the same engine, the 2001 came with either a 4.0L V6 SOHC or 5.0L V8 OHV, while the '99 came with either of those or a 4.0L V6 OHV.

If it's the same engine, the 2001 came with either a 4.0L V6 SOHC or 5.0L V8 OHV, while the '99 came with either of those or a 4.0L V6 OHV.
Yes, my 2001 is 4.0 SOHC equipped. What differences am I looking at if the '99 is an OHV?

^ Everything. You'll want to transfer over ALL of it including the wiring harness and ECM. These aren't rare vehicles so I don't even understand why you would do that.

$1000+ worth of labor to downgrade the engine on a vehicle worth $1000 tops if/when with a bad engine? I cannot value your time, but I would only do this extensive a swap with a perfectly good body to swap a 5.0L V8 into if I were rebuilding the whole thing.

^ Everything. You'll want to transfer over ALL of it including the wiring harness and ECM.
Thanks, I think. Already have a call in to find out which one they have.

Did the deal. My engine has a plate on it that says 0G 962 AB mfg 10/11/00. The engine I bought has one saying 8G 962 AA mfg 01/06/98. A difference I have already noticed is the fuel lines. Mine has a single stainless line going up to the fuel rail, the one I bought has two stainless lines.
Is the difference anything major, or will I see the difference as I swap my stuff onto the new engine.

Well your harness is different. You will have to replace ECU as well.

I wouldn't go through the trouble and/or expense of changing one 4.0L SOHC for another. These engines all suck. 2 months from now you may be right back where you started. If not, your transmission might be next to go. JMHO. Get yourself a 5.0L V8 and enjoy.

Back