Engine tries to explode after M112 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine tries to explode after M112

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn...there's a lot of smart people in here. I'm old school...just leave it alone.

So what ended up happending? Did you take the belt off the blower and drive it to the dyno???

Does anyone know if the SCT X3 will give me the option to change fuel injector size?

the SOFTWARE has that ability, not the flash device...even if you have a mustang you still need the software to make advanced changes such as this

update:

X is in my garage, Lightning MAF installed, Colder copper spark plugs installed, 10w40 oil.

Still need to make an idler so i can have A/C and I need to cut the hood.

Have not gone WOT. Driving around, the engine feels only slightly livelier than with out the supercharger. Its like the engine breathes 2% better than before.

I am having trouble with the SCT X3. It came pre-installed with 2 data loging files. One for gas one for diesel. I played with the gas. I plugged the X3 into the car, selected monitor, and logged the first 10 variables. I took the X3 in the house to the computer and uploaded the data into LiveLink. :)

I tried to make a file similar to the pre-installed. I typed in the tune strategy and selected the PIDS. Saved it to the X3. When i try to run the file after I connected to the car i get a connection error.:(

What am i doing wrong?

I was successful at data logging through the X3 into the laptop directly. Sent the info to James. Waiting for a re-tune. :)

The problem is that the laptop's battery life is about 2.4 microseconds. I can't drive around with an extension cord hanging out the back :(, LOL.

Preloaded log parameters

I also had no luck using the default data logging parameters, storing the data on the X3, and then trying to read the datalog file from the X3 with the LiveLink. I could only use the default for real time display of parameters. I do all of my data logging using the laptop to set the parameters and store the data. The X3 just transfers the data to the laptop. I bought an adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter to power the laptop but don't need to use it for data logging that lasts less than an hour. You must have a weak laptop battery.

So far I have been disappointed with the X3 its not living up to the hype the SCT gives it nor everyone's first hand accounts. All it is used for is a translator box. A simple cable could be made that converts from OBDII to usb or serial. Then have the computer program translate the data.

Oh well. No one else makes anything like it. I have to have it to tune the engine.

Ford specific parameters

I bought the Auterra DynoScan software/hardware product before the X3. It only recorded the generic parameters - about one tenth of the ones that the X3 will record. For example I could display/record the ignition timing advance but not the knock sensor retard. Also, I could not record the transmission fluid temperature but I can with the X3.

you need a custom tune.....

So far I have been disappointed with the X3 its not living up to the hype the SCT gives it nor everyone's first hand accounts. .

that is not uncommon, if you google "sct x3 problems".. you'll see you are not alone.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="sct+x3+problems"&aq=f&aqi=&oq=

I tend to steer people away from livewire,X3 or SF3 due to buggy issues, but since Jim is a sponsor on this board I didn't feel it was my place to come in and step on his toes...

and had I stepped on his toes, you probably wouldn't have believed me anyways..

if you had an X-2 I could help, but i dont beta test nor bug kill sct's new stuff

So far I have been disappointed with the X3 its not living up to the hype the SCT gives it nor everyone's first hand accounts. All it is used for is a translator box. A simple cable could be made that converts from OBDII to usb or serial. Then have the computer program translate the data.

Oh well. No one else makes anything like it. I have to have it to tune the engine.

Yes, there is one out there.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/sniper.htm

a locked x2 will datalog your vehicle, so grab a bricked one off ebay for 50.00 and save yourself ALOT of frustration and time.

sniper is crap...

there is no better solution than the SCT software.

sniper is hobbled and their entry level 300 dollar stuff is like the FREE sct extreme tune which is very very cheesy.

to get the SCT ProRacer level of PCM control that cost 300.00 you have to pay over 600.00 with sniper.

Dont confuse the buggy X-3 issues with a problem with SCT's tuning software.

the control you get with the SCT proracer is second to none.
new device issues will be addressed, in due time.

IMHO theres no reason to use the new devices unless you have an 05 or up vehicle which they were designed for.

SCT phased out the x-2s because they would hold 3 tunes on older cars but the newer cars had large processors and the X-2's would only hold 2 tunes for an automatic car.

Since the X-2s were sold and advertised as "holding up to 3 tunes" this was going to be a HUGE issue...so they scrapped X-2's and put the Livewire and X-3 and SF3s out for sale, before they were properly bug tested.

SCT had other nefarious reasons for scrapping the X-2's as well..but none those issues pertained to end user functionality

most of the testing was performed on the target vehicles for these devices.
you can bet they didn't drag in or buy an explorer of this vintage to "test".

they figured they would address any "issues" as they arise down the road with the older vehicles from 04 and down.

Cliff notes

Sniper sucks
SCT FTW

That's your opinion. There are quite a few people on the Mach 1 registry that might beg to differ. They seem to be quite happy with the Sniper software and it's tuning capabilities. Several have gone through SCT, Diablo and Sniper and seem to like Sniper better than the other two.

Personally, I don't have Sniper or SCT. I have a Diablosport Predator, but I don't use their canned tune. I had one custom written and just use the Predator as a downloader, datalogger and code reader.

That's your opinion..

we'll just leave it at that.

I've used both, extensively..and it really matters not to me what a buncha "mach 1" owners are doing.

Like I said, the 300 dollar version of sniper is what SCT gives away for free.
that cutsey little pull down menu BS that makes changes to the tune that "you cant see"?

I dont need a "pull down menu" making invisible changes to my tune file...do you?

IF you or the mach 1 guys need "that level" of spoonfeeding....
then..by all means buy sniper.

I am talking from experience, you are parroting what some mustang guys are doing

Sniper may very well support the new mustang, but I can ASSURE you they wont be doing MUCH support for an 01 and down EX.

not trying to be a dick here, just keeping it factual and real.

I definately dont want the OP to jump ship to sniper thinking it's better..because it's absolutely and inferior overprice lacking support tuning solution.

I've got sniper users that cannot remove the speed limiter or turn off PATS.. on the same era vehile we're discussing here....
Snipers stance is "those are old", we're not gonna jump thru hoops to support them.

please dont misunderstand my stance as abusive...I'm really trying to prevent someone from stepping in a smoldering pile of dogmess.

There are quite a few people on the Mach 1 registry that might beg to differ.

if you have some technical info of value I'd love to hear it.

by all means.

but I dont think you need to "sic a whole message board full of mustang guys on me"... to prove that I'm wrong, do you?

If you want to tell folks I'm wrong, shouldn't you provide MORE than "a buncha mustang guys" are doing blah blah blah???

Sniper seems like a great price for that kind of customizability... what are more pros/cons?

chances are you wont have access to advertised parameters, and when inquire about them you wont get any support from sniper.

basic functions like traction control, speed limiters and pats have been not available in sniper.

LOL. I started a tread about tuning hardware and software. Never got a response like this.

I looked at sniper and diablo before buying the SCT. All 3 looked cheesy and like a waste of money. but SCT was the best, so I bought that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Overdrive pulley?

The Lightning has a 7.5 inch diameter crank pulley (stock). You can upgrade to a 9 inch pulley and max out the supercharger. The crank pulley on the explorer is 6.75 inches.

Where can I get a 9 inch crank pulley? I checked summit racing. They have mustang pulleys. Not sure if they will line up. I can add shims to push the pulley out further. no way to bring it in closer.

Back