Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Engine trouble

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by claytonjpc, October 3, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. claytonjpc

claytonjpc New Member

City, State:
      indianapolis,indiana
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      93 explorer sport
      My 93 explorer engine is worn out. Would it be better to rebuild the original engine or get a new one? Thats my question. I have spent $5000 on this truck in a year and half . still have to replace suspension system and steering issues. I want to keep it running for awhile but putting $10,000 into is alot .

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Masterd

Masterd Active Member

City, State:
      Upland, CA
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Price a rebuild against a good junkyard motor. Explorers go to the junkyard for trans issues way more often than for engine problems.

4. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      What's wrong with the current motor? Can you do it yourself? A basic rebuild kit is cheap. If you really have another 10k to put into it, I'd find a different car.

5. roscoe 0202

roscoe 0202 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      salt lake city utah
      1999 explorer sport
      just rebuilt my '92 4.0 with maching and parts it was under 2k did the work myself.
      roscoe

6. 2stroke

2stroke Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Annandale, MN
      1993 Ford Explorer Sport
      Sheesh, the best thing about these explorers is they are cheap. I'd cut your losses and buy something else. There is no logical reason to be putting $15k into an old truck, besides modifying for offroad. You can still buy brand new cars for less than $20k.

7. larrydd999

larrydd999 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Port Angeles, WA
      92 XLT, 94 Limited
      IMHO the best answer for you has to be the one you want to accept, but my $0.02 would be that after spending the amount you already have, purchasing and installing a used but known good engine would be my choice. I have two GEN1's, a '92 XLT and a '94 Limited, and intend to keep them as long as possible, which already has involved an engine replacement in the '92. I've seen a professionally rebuilt engine advertised for around $2k and known good ones for around $500 already pulled and ready to pick up. As noted above, it's much more common to see a GEN1 on Craigslist with a bad transmission than a bad engine.

8. FarmageddonNRO

FarmageddonNRO Member

City, State:
      Anaconda MT
      1991 Ford Explorer XL
      It really depends on what your issues are, if it's running rough you might just need to change your fuel pressure regulator, plus, plug wires, MAF (Cleaning), Coil Pack, Air filter, fuel filter, any general maintenance stuff helps. I have almost 300k on my Ex, and at 160 it sounded like it was going to die, and after doing all this stuff to it, it still purrs.