for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

engine won't turn over--new battery

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by metalforsale, February 28, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. metalforsale

metalforsale New Member

City, State:
      md
      Year and Model:
      1999 mercury mountaineer
      I have a 1999 mercury mountaineer. It is an automatic with 5.0l eng. 150,000 miles. It has been sitting for 3 months. it ran fine b4 that. I tried to start it but it would not turn over. so I got a new battery. Now, The starter clicks and tries to turn the motor but it sounds like something is keeping the motor from turning over.Seems like I can hear a sound of metal to metal hitting. I banged on the starter with a hammer a few times. I was able to turn the motor with a large ratchet. Any suggestions???

thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. storlied

storlied Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      Year and Model:
      98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
      Put some heet in the gas tank (preferably put in fresh fuel, getting rid of the old), make sure you're getting spark. Maybe the starter has lost most of it's power also?

Can you also tell us what your voltage is looking like while the truck is sitting there, and what does it do when you try to start?

4. metalforsale

metalforsale New Member

City, State:
      md
      Year and Model:
      1999 mercury mountaineer
      Thanks for your reply. The engine won't crank at all. It s almost like the engine is locked up, but i can turn it with a wrench. Never a problem b4 it sat for 3 months. Could the starter be locked up??

5. storlied

storlied Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      Year and Model:
      98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
      That's a possibility. Swap in a new starter and see what happens, but not before you do some maintenance ... fluids might need to be changed after 3 months of sitting. And do something about that gas in the tank.

6. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year and Model:
      00 Sport FI,03 Limited V8
      Sitting for 3 months

If, as you said, it ran fine three months ago then the only problem now should be battery charge/connection related. You've installed a new battery and I assume cleaned the connections. You can rotate the engine by hand but not with the starter. The starter gear may be stuck against the ring gear. I would disconnect the battery, remove the starter and have it tested. If it passes then clean the electrical connections to the starter before reinstalling it.

7. McSlug

McSlug Active Member

City, State:
      Perth Western Australia
      Year and Model:
      98 Explorer
      Make sure your battery clamps are connected tight. I jump started my friends car the other day then mine wouldn't crank next day. I tightened the clamps and fired fist kick.
      If you can turn by hand it has to be charge related. The starter is high drain and with bad connections it will start to engage then stop that is the click sound

8. Lzwo

Lzwo New Member

City, State:
      Tallahassee, FL
      Year and Model:
      1997 Mountaineer 5.0L
      +1 on checking the terminal clamps. Been there, done that.

Also, I had a similar problem awhile ago - disconnected, cleaned and reconnected both + and - cables at the battery and starter/grounds. The main cable connection to the starter was so corroded, I'm surprised it ever started. No problems since a good cleaning and tightly reconnected.

You've checked all the fuses, right? Just to make sure you didn't short something while removing the old or putting the new one in? I've (on occasion) been less then dilligent about manhandling the battery/cables, and seen some sparks fly.

9. Lzwo

Lzwo New Member

City, State:
      Tallahassee, FL
      Year and Model:
      1997 Mountaineer 5.0L
      +1 on checking the terminal clamps. Been there, done that.

Also, I had a similar problem awhile ago - disconnected, cleaned and reconnected both + and - cables at the battery and starter/grounds. The main cable connection to the starter was so corroded, I'm surprised it ever started. No problems since a good cleaning and tightly reconnected.

You've checked all the fuses, right? Just to make sure you didn't short something while removing the old or putting the new one in? I've (on occasion) been less then dilligent about manhandling the battery/cables, and seen some sparks fly.

And, you're sure the new battery has a charge, yes? I've gotten some from wallyworld before that had a bad cell and/or wouldn't hold a charge. That is frusterating.

10. P Mark

P Mark Member

City, State:
      Birmingham AL
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT
      i had same problem try starting in neutral or i would check your gears behind the dash make sure its not slipping out of park

do any of the electronics start?
      the 2nd gen explorers have an electronic fuel cut off so try it in neutral and see waht happens