• Register Today It's free!

Entertainment Hard Drive?

cboucher

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Just received my 2011 Explorer, assumed it had a hard drive for storing files locally w/out have to plug a USB drive in. Either I am an idiot and do not know how to access it or it doesn't come with one. I am wanting to upload my CD collection to the vehicle

On my 09 Edge I uploaded 2000 songs from my CD collection to the "juke box", (which was the local hard drive). Does the Explorers not have one. I don't mind putting them on a flash drive, just curious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It does not have...

However, I do not see this as a disadvantage. You can store 2000+ songs in a US$ 39.99 16 GB pen drive, far easier and less likely fo fail (hard drives and vibration do not go along well in the long term). In my past car, I had a dedicated Ipod to be able to do decent music searching, not anymore The Ex does an outstanding indexing job on USB drives, and voice commands for music selection works very well - except for a small bug that seems to appear when I am trying to show off the system. The selected song is shown briefly on screen, and the the first song in the drive plays. The second time, it works perfectly.

In my view, thwy should get rid of the CD player as well.

Just received my 2011 Explorer, assumed it had a hard drive for storing files locally w/out have to plug a USB drive in. Either I am an idiot and do not know how to access it or it doesn't come with one. I am wanting to upload my CD collection to the vehicle

On my 09 Edge I uploaded 2000 songs from my CD collection to the "juke box", (which was the local hard drive). Does the Explorers not have one. I don't mind putting them on a flash drive, just curious.

It is my understanding (haven't tried it), that you could connect an external hard-drive to the USB port. I think you have to format it as FAT-32, but other than that it supposedly works. You may be able to find someone who has done this by searching the forum.

I picked up a lexar 16gb USB drive for $22.00.
Had to reformat as fat32.
Holds a decent amount of music.

By default fat32 will see up to 32gb in size.
There are 3rd party tools to get it larger.

Have yet to test my western digital USB hard disk.

In my view, thwy should get rid of the CD player as well.

The CD player is about to go the way of the 8-track and cassette player. Some manufacturers are going to be dropping it as a option in the next year or so.

No Jukebox with MFT

Pulled this off of the Ford Website:
Navigation System with Sirius Traffic™ and Travel Link™
Included with the system is a 10GB digital jukebox**
**Not available on vehicles with MyFord Touch™.

Pulled this off of the Ford Website:
Navigation System with Sirius Traffic™ and Travel Link™
Included with the system is a 10GB digital jukebox**
**Not available on vehicles with MyFord Touch™.

Aren't we supposed to have increased functionality when we buy an upgraded vehicle? This is disappointing... There obviously is some sort of hard drive if you can save pictures as a background, so why not make it big enough to hold songs, especially if you are doing it on other vehicles in your lineup. ugh.

Aren't we supposed to have increased functionality when we buy an upgraded vehicle? This is disappointing... There obviously is some sort of hard drive if you can save pictures as a background, so why not make it big enough to hold songs, especially if you are doing it on other vehicles in your lineup. ugh.
I am sure Ford is more likely using flash memory. Given the harsh environments people subject their cars to, I can easily see flash memory being the future of in-car storage.

The CD player is about to go the way of the 8-track and cassette player. Some manufacturers are going to be dropping it as a option in the next year or so.

Its funny, I read an article a few months back online about the last auto manufacturer to offer cassette tape as an option. Surprisingly, it was Lexus.

I am sure Ford is more likely using flash memory. Given the harsh environments people subject their cars to, I can easily see flash memory being the future of in-car storage.

Yeah your probably right. USB to my ipod is working well so I can see where they would think they can get rid of the jukebox, however its a bit of an annoyance because my 30GB ipod is FULL, well over 4000 songs so anytime I unplug it to sync with itunes, then back to MFT, it takes FOREVER to scan and "build media commands." At least it will still play the music during this time though...

Back