Erratic idle/stalling when put in gear | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Erratic idle/stalling when put in gear

Has anyoine narrowed this down to the solenoid pack? I am going to replace mine soon because of delayed engagement into reverse but I am exhibiting many of the same problems above. Almost dies in when shifting into reverse or drive from park, poor fuel mileage with delayed engagament into reverse (50/50 every time you go into reverse whether is delays or not), though it has been getting worse. 109,000miles 2005 4.0L

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ffdemoss will you post again when you have change your solenoid and let us know if it will fix the proplem I too have this reverse proplem..One question is solenoid and valve body same thing? if you look at this two thing on ebay they dont´t look the same.. So are you all talking about solenoid block or valve boddy? maby stupid question mut so what :)

SOLENOID BLOCK= http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5R55...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

VALVE BODY= http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5R55...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Replace the IAC valve. Sometimes cleaning it does not work, especially if there is something wrong with the coil of the valve. Cleanign will not fix that. My explorer had a high idle problem when hot, the hotter the engine got the worse the idle got. The only solutioin was to replace the valve. Problem solved. I checked the old valve completely, cleaned etc, nothing worked except replacement. Even the resistance of the coil was within specs and it did not work right.

Replace the IAC valve. Sometimes cleaning it does not work, especially if there is something wrong with the coil of the valve. Cleanign will not fix that. My explorer had a high idle problem when hot, the hotter the engine got the worse the idle got. The only solutioin was to replace the valve. Problem solved. I checked the old valve completely, cleaned etc, nothing worked except replacement. Even the resistance of the coil was within specs and it did not work right.

To my knowledge there is no IAC on the 2005...drive by wire.

ffdemoss will you post again when you have change your solenoid and let us know if it will fix the proplem I too have this reverse proplem..One question is solenoid and valve body same thing? if you look at this two thing on ebay they dont´t look the same.. So are you all talking about solenoid block or valve boddy? maby stupid question mut so what :)

SOLENOID BLOCK= http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5R55...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

VALVE BODY= http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5R55...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The solenoid block bolts to the valve body. Probably won't get changed until December or so. Trying to coordinate it with a regualr transmission fluid change at 120,000 miles.

The solenoid block bolts to the valve body. Probably won't get changed until December or so. Trying to coordinate it with a regualr transmission fluid change at 120,000 miles.

ok thanks I will be here.. I am becoming addicted to this site :)

Update 12/21/10

I did some other maintenance items on the Explorer this weekend inclduing new plugs and cleaned my throttle body. One of those tasks has fixed my stalling issue while switching from Reverse to Drive and since the plugs still looked very good with little wear I am guesing it was the TB. I am still going to replace my solenoid pack in the next month or so but my stalling issue is gone. My TB was carboned up pretty bad and was defintely restricting air flow. There is a Ford TSB out for a new calibration for rough idle after a battery disconnect because of a sludged up throttle body...but cleaning mine fixed it. My rough idle started after a battery disconnect for new O2 sensors.

Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted as to what you find out.

my 99 4.0 sohc has the same problem but once it stalls it will not start again until after several tries with the gas pedal to the floor. Runs like crap for a few seconds and the ok until I shut it off. Idle is around 1000 to 1500 and then it settles to 1000. Restart is the same cleaned ICV throttle body any ideas

Back