• Register Today It's free!

Error Code P0125

osiris_9510

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Ok I need some help here. I don't know a lot about cars...

The check engine light has been on for a little while now. I took it to Autozone, had them check for error codes, and replaced the offending sensor, which was the engine temperature sensor. I drove it for 80 miles, and the light came back on.

I took it for inspection and it failed with the error code P0125.

"P0125 - Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control"

I thought maybe I bought a defective sensor, because this is the same error code from Autozne. I replaced the sensor with another new one, drive it 60 miles, and the light came back on again with the same error code.

The temperature gauge in the dash doesn't work and hasn't worked since the light came on.

Any ideas? Dirty wiring on the temperature sensor?

One more thing, in the process of all of this I also replaced the temperature switch which is right next to the temperature sensor.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the wiring going back to the PCM for breaks?

If you have an SOHC it should be pin 38 and 91 on the PCM connector

38 is a LT GRN - Signal
91 is a GRY/RED - common

If you already replaced the sensor it may be as simple as a pinched/cracked wire

Welcome to this forum! You could test the gauge to see if it's working if you ground the wire. This should make the gauge go all of the way up to the hot area. How old is your thermostat? If it's stuck open, then the gauge will be low, and the engine will be cool all of the time. This sounds like what is happening. This chart is # 25 in my list of useful threads:
41928895.gif

I just bought a very used 02 sport trac and have the exact same symptoms, but have not attempted any repairs yet. Did you ever solve this issue?

T-stat replaced. Light off for now.

fault code

i get that same code but it doesn't make the light come on. my obd2 shows it is p0125 code. it does make it hard to start when the air temp is warm but doesn't affect it when air temp is cold. to original poster, did u have to take the air intake off to replace the temp switch ? i have no room to even get the connector off with it on. i can get the ECT connector off & sensor out though. im trying to figure out which one is the problem.

Back