Ethanol Sensor Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ethanol Sensor Question

Reaction score
City, State
Stillwater, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
We have a 2014 Explorer Limited with about 67,000 miles. I recently purchased an ELM 327 Bluetooth adapter for the OBDII port so I could run a program called Torque. In this program is a feed that shows the Ethanol sensor reading. The current reading is 9.8%. The problem is, The last 3 full tankfuls have been 100% pure gas - No Ethanol. Now I could understand maybe one of the stations could have mixed their tanks and put 10% in with the 100% gas. But, we purchased gas at 3 different stations and the reading is still 9.8% Anybody ever have problems with their Alcohol sensor in their Explorer? This is a flex fuel vehicle so it has to have the sensor working to provide the right fuel map. Our mileage seems to be worse than say 10,000 miles ago. Where is the alcohol sensor? Is it expensive? Difficult to change?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tested the gas to see if its 100%?? More than likely the same truck delivers to all the gas stations in the area,if not more than likely all the gas comes from the same distributor..

We can even get 100% around here except at marinas..

Get a ethanol tester from ebay or summit and test the gas before you assume the sensor is bad..that sensor isnt cheap im sure,also might be able to be calibrated through tuning

No, I haven't had the gas tested but it was at 3 separate stations hundreds of miles apart in Oklahoma and Missouri so I doubt it was the same delivery truck. 100% gas is easy to find in this part of the country. I believe you on the cost of the sensor, it's probably crazy expensive and I've looked at the local auto parts stores and nobody even lists it so I'm sure it's a dealer part. I wish I had checked this while the we were still under warranty.

The testers are like $10 but yea if they are that far apart would be odd..i know around here basically most of Va and Nc all get gas from same plant..doesnt matter what station you go to,it all comes from same place

Back