1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Evap emission Control Sys Pressure Sensor

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by bigglok03, June 19, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bigglok03

bigglok03 New Member

City, State:
      Born in Queens,NY raised in Lithonia,Ga
      Year and Model:
      1998 Explorer Sport
      I took my 98 Explorer Sport to get an emissions test and I failed. The code it came back with was P0453(Evap Emission Control Sys Press Sensor High Input). How would I go about fixing this? Is it as simple as replacing the sensor?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Dilbert5

Dilbert5 Active Member

City, State:
      austin
      Year and Model:
      before yo replace the sensor, you need to check voltages. Do you have a DVM? if so. The sensor has three wires.

GY/R grd
      BR/W ref voltage
      R/PK sensor output goes to pin 62 or 82 of pcm (my shematic is hard to read, not 100% sure). Verify the correct wire color code.

You should be able to read the 5 volt ref, then see what the sensor output is reading. According to my schematic, it should be 2.37 v (with gas cap off). If you read something close to this. The next step is to verify the voltage at the PCM.

My schematic is a little hard to read, hence I am not positive which pin, but you should be able to follow the color code.