• Register Today It's free!

Evap Issues

Rohlo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT
2010 explorer 115,000 miles. Late summer started putting out these codes:

P0443 - Evaporative System Purge Control Value Circuit
P0053 - HO2S Heater Resistance (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
P0054 - HO2S Heater Resistance (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P0059 - HO2S Heater Resistance (Bank 2, Sensor 1)
P0060 - HO2S Heater Resistance (Bank 2, Sensor 2)
P0403 - EGR Control Circuit

I have the Haynes manual for the vehicle so i started with that and looked over all the vaccum lines in the EVAP system that i could find/see. Then i started replacing parts since it does see its fair share of gravel roads. Thought that dust could have a caused a plug. So far i have replaced all O2 sensors, the EGR valve, the canister purge value and the canister vent value solenoid. Found a warranty on the vehicle that was never done took it into the Ford dealer they said that it wasn’t the right codes for the warranty but thought it could possibly be an O2 sensor ground issue. I will not let this dealer touch the vehicle. Terrible reputation and screwed up when even when i asked about the warrranty.

Had it into a local shop for a separate issue he thought that there may be a fuse somewhere that is causing this EVAP issue. I have checked all the fuses and relays and cant find anything that seems wrong. No gas smell when i shut off the vehicle. Fuel mileage is the same as it always has been. Anyone have similiar issues before that they corrected.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are the filler hoses in good condition..... I had an evap code from a cracked vent hose

You cleared the codes after putting the new parts on and they come back, I assume?

Yeah. They come back on the 2nd start up each time. Filler hose looks good as far as I can see.

What was the resolution to your problem? My 2010 has these same codes..

I've had an Evap code for over 4 months. Dealer checked the fill hose and said the charcoal canister needs replacing. $650 parts & labor.

I'm just dealing with a slow fill-up until I have some extra cash I want to throw at it

Well, the oxegen sensor codes have nothing to do with the evap codes, for sure.
I have an in-the-box Motorcraft charcoal canister I don't need I'd sell you (PM me if interested.) I bought it before I realized the filler neck was the issue. Drew.

What do I need to look at on the filler neck?

search fillerneck in 3rd gen forumn. the 4th gen capless had their oen issues/tsb/extended warranty campaign.

I visually checked the capless filler neck and at first sight did not find any issues - I will double check. These P0403 and P0443 codes are driving me crazy. I'm not sure what to try next. I have found several different resolutions.

Which include:

Bad PCM
Wiring to the PCM which was cleaned with Dawn dish soap
Vacuum line under the intake manifold
Cracked filler hose
Bad vapor canister

Does anyone now if there is a common issue for these two codes P0403 and P0443 on a 2010 Explorer with a 4.0 engine?

Any help would be appreciated..

any resolution to this anyone???
My resolution was a new computer. I replaced all the evap parts and continued to get codes. Once I took it in they replaced the computer and it fixed the issue.

I have all the same codes and had the slow gas fill issue, but that went away on it's own. I also had both broken exhaust manifold's, and the mechanic said that with those leaking, it could be causing the codes. I have since gotten them fixed and still have the codes. I'm going to replace all the O2 sensors and see what happens.

Back