Ever seen these for Mountaineers? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ever seen these for Mountaineers?

Yeah, I can't see any way to get rid of the amber.

dangit, I already said the lights were old:p:--I was just seein' if they would melt.:D

Trhere was a thread a while back about cutting the inside of the lens and lsiding it out. I don't remember where it is. I'll do a search when I ahve my glasses on and not squinting to see the comp, lol. hence any bad spelling or anything...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trhere was a thread a while back about cutting the inside of the lens and lsiding it out. I don't remember where it is. I'll do a search when I ahve my glasses on and not squinting to see the comp, lol. hence any bad spelling or anything...

I remember that thread, I couldn't find it either--but I seem to remember it was for explorer lights. This amber part is not a plastic film, as far as I can tell.The amber seems to be a solid molded piece bonded to the clear--

The mountaineer side markers are different. I have one taken aprt now-the amber part is solid, no film.

Yeah, now that I looked up a pic of my stocvk corners, it looks like it's surrounded by clear, so like you said, probably epoxied or glued on to it... Wish I still had my stocks. What temp do you bake em at and what time? Just curious.

Yeah, now that I looked up a pic of my stocvk corners, it looks like it's surrounded by clear, so like you said, probably epoxied or glued on to it... Wish I still had my stocks. What temp do you bake em at and what time? Just curious.

160 degrees EXACTLY (verified with handheld infrared thermometer)

12 minutes-start watching real closely at 8 minutes-
the lenses will fog up-when the "fog" covers the lens-pull them out and work the seal-SLOWLY!!! Be careful not to put pressure on the lens-as it is pretty pliable at this point. The fog will go away as the lens cools.

I used a Stanley "3-in one" scraper, as it is flexible, and has a "screwdriver" shaped appendage valuable for sideways prying, and a pointed appendage for cutting the glue-

When you get it started-shove a plastic wedge in and continue around.
when the lens has cleared again, it is too cool and needs reheating.

That is the best I can describe-the process doesn't allow time for pictures.

160 degrees EXACTLY (verified with handheld infrared thermometer)

12 minutes-start watching real closely at 8 minutes-
the lenses will fog up-when the "fog" covers the lens-pull them out and work the seal-SLOWLY!!! Be careful not to put pressure on the lens-as it is pretty pliable at this point. The fog will go away as the lens cools.

I used a Stanley "3-in one" scraper, as it is flexible, and has a "screwdriver" shaped appendage valuable for sideways prying, and a pointed appendage for cutting the glue-

When you get it started-shove a plastic wedge in and continue around.
when the lens has cleared again, it is too cool and needs reheating.

That is the best I can describe-the process doesn't allow time for pictures.

Thanks, I'll see if maybe I have my stocks hidden in a box somewhere. I might have tucked em away just incase. I'm curious and want to play with this now, lol.

Back