Solved - Everything you wanted to know about PATS. | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
I appreciate your response CDW- Some things I forgot to mention:
The horn and lights do not pulse. I have activated the alarm and recreated a break in, no honking or flashing of lights.

I can arm the alarm and enter the code to open the door/all doors for that matter but get the rapid blink of the theft light -

The hood release was modified for the lights, but I have a wire tie holding the plunger in.

Contacted a few dealers and they have no idea how to disable this, I just finished a timing chain and water pump on it and am catching a lot of crap.

I read somewhere that there is a factory disable in the kick plate on the drivers side that has a green and purple wire, supposedly there is a device you can splice into the harness to disarm the system????? I don't know, but I am frustrated. This is an American car that is over 10 years old I just want the damn thing to work.

The modification for police use were only for the lights

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've bought four old police cars over the years, each had different wiring changes. I would first suspect something not quite original in the wiring. The police do not usually make any changes, they pay someone else to modify things. So you cannot be sure how good the work was done on a given car.

The PATS can't be disabled without a computer program that does that, as in a flasher device with that feature disabled. The system is a combination of things, the PCM, PATS module, and the key code reader/transmitter, plus wiring, sensors.

I would suggest having an expert Ford technician look it over, having them check out those main components and the wiring.

Take a look under the steering column, remove the large metal cover there and see what the main ignition switch wires and connectors look like. That's where most modifications are done for a remote starter, or another alarm.

There is a thread initiated by James Henson regarding disabling PATS on another section of this forum. Problem has to do with a PATS era engine swap into an older car.

Rather than trying to copy over some of the discussion here is a link to that thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2963760#post2963760

Comments and answers welcomed.

Can you reprogram a key that was already programed? I just bought a explorer that the previous owner had the keys reprogramed but found a third key that was programed with the prior code. Can I reprogram the key with this procedure or does it only allow it to be programed once?

key is not programmed

Can you reprogram a key that was already programed? I just bought a explorer that the previous owner had the keys reprogramed but found a third key that was programed with the prior code. Can I reprogram the key with this procedure or does it only allow it to be programed once?

It is my understanding that the keys are not programmed. Instead, the PCM is programmed to recognize the specific code on each key. I could be wrong, however. Have you tried the third key to see if it still works? If it doesn't work then use the other two keys to add the third. You should always have at least three PATS keys for your vehicle to avoid the high cost of visiting a locksmith or the dealer when one of only two keys are lost.

The keys have unique codes, the PATS module learns those which are programmed to it.

You can use one key in countless vehicles, if the vehicles had the same tumblers in the cylinders.

Thanks. I reprogramed it & it worked, then an hour later the key didn't work again.

Check the wiring under the key cylinder, that can be a source of problems with the PATS receiving the key code. The key doesn't change, or the old keys don't, I'm not sure if newer PATS systems do something different.

Programed it again & it has been working since last night. Will hope it sticks.

Ok maybe someone here can help. I just stuffed a 98 5.0 in my 97 sport that was a sohc. I put a non return pump in the tank and had planned on using a 97 5.0 pcm to avoid pats and just repin the 42 pin plug. Then I was told it wouldn't work. Now I do have a pats set but the truck doesn't have the wiring for it so i was considering a body harness swap witch I would have to go hunt down or blindly trying to wire this crap in. Any ideas?

I read in this thread that I could run the 97 pcm if i swap the fuel rail and injecters from a 97 is this true because that would save me alot of headaches. I have those parts handy.

I believe that Ford used the 45psi fuel rail and fuel return line on the 302 '96, '97 and '98. Does your '98 have the fuel return line? If so, then the '97 PCM should work with the '98 fuel system as is.

My problem was that I had an '00 engine with the 65 psi fuel system. Everyone tells me that the injectors themselves are the same but the PCM fuel management would have to deal with the difference in fuel trim and could do that.

Someone more experienced that me should comment on that statement.

It has the non return but I could swap all that back in a few hrs if it means avoid in the pats then all I would have to worry about would be the 42 pin plug witch I have already been into anyway

It has the non return but I could swap all that back in a few hrs if it means avoid in the pats then all I would have to worry about would be the 42 pin plug witch I have already been into anyway

From what you posted, I think you should go back to your fuel tank assembly, and use the 98 302 complete with it's fuel rail etc.

The fuel system is the same until 1999, then they are all the same too, returnless.

I think the EGR system is the only thing which may be a hiccup. Those changed during 1997. I think the 302 PCM stayed the same in 1997, but check on that to be sure.

Your swap should be straight forward, as much as any one can be.

So stay nonreturn plug in the 97 pcm and just deal with the 42 pin plug and the egr?

No, keep the return fuel system that your truck had, the 98 engine had, and the 97 PCM is made for. That means there are two fuel lines, the tank assembly has two lines going into it, and the FPR is located on the fuel rail instead of at the pump.

That should mean you will use the 96-98 engine and truck wiring to work with the 97 PCM and 98 302.

Ah that's not the case my 98 motor must be a later one cause its non return that's why I changed the truck.

Ah that's not the case my 98 motor must be a later one cause its non return that's why I changed the truck.

That is probably what got you off track, all 98's have return fuel systems. That engine is either a 99-01, or someone before you changed the fuel rails etc.

Just make it right and get the 96-98 parts all together on the truck, and it will work.:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please excuse me if I'm way out in left field here, this thought just came to me.
I have a 1999 Explorer 5.0 with a 2000 4RW70. I have the PCM that came with the trans donor (with harness) 2000 all this going in a 1980 Volvo.
I also have a 97 PCM that I have heard conflicting reports on if it will work or not.
I have to wonder if the 97 PCM can be modded to work with the 99 engine.
That would leave PATS out of the question.

Back