Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Exhaust Options for the Sport

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by BtownB10, March 6, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. gns30

gns30 New Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      01 Bullitt
      I was doing some reading on this and from what I can find there is no advantage to either and h or x pipe witha turbo setup since they eliminate the ability for the crossovers to affect scavenging. I was looking at replacing the mid resonator with just straight pipes to free up the exaust and get a little more sound. What we need is a 3 inch dual kit!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CalifLove

CalifLove Active Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      Curious, can't most performance oriented muffler shops build exhaust "systems" in house? At the end of the day, seems like they can pick up your choice of mufflers/resonator and then build/bend piping to order as these shops should have bending equipment in-house?

Seems there isn't a ton of options on how to go about getting pipe from the cats on to the back of the car...

Is there any reason you guys can think of that we shouldn't explore that? Am I severely oversimplifying the process?

4. CalifLove

CalifLove Active Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      Got it.

I'm going to explore having a shop replace from the cats on back stock piping with 3" stainless and likely go with the previously mentioned Flowmaster muffs and try to get the stock sport tips extended out a few inches and have at it. I suspect pricing may compare favorably to one of the "off the shelf kits" available but I could very well be in for a shocker. I'll report back my findings

5. 04mach1

04mach1 Active Member

City, State:
      Melbourne,FL
      2014 Explorer Sport
      I would like to see if we could get 3 or 4 people to commit to buying the LMS Corsa cat-back. 1400 is just to much in my book.

I had a little over 1400 in the FULL exhaust on my GT500 !!

6. CalifLove

CalifLove Active Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      I feel ya on that.

Funny thing is, we just ordered a 2015 M3 for my girlfriend and I got to looking into exhaust systems for that thing.. they start at around 3k and go up dramatically!

Suddenly $1400 doesn't seem so bad...lol!

7. 04mach1

04mach1 Active Member

City, State:
      Melbourne,FL
      2014 Explorer Sport
      I don't think this is reasonable at all... I can get a full 3" Corsa cat-back for a Raptor for 895.00 and I had just over 1400 in my GT500's exhaust that was from the long tube headers to the 3" x-pipe to the 3" stainless steel cat-back.

8. Ineon

Ineon New Member

City, State:
      Near Moscow
      2013 ex sport
      Here is custom made with borla components: http://youtube.com/watch?v=I2YU6R4z-yA enjoy it :thumbsup:

9. BtownB10

BtownB10 New Member

City, State:
      Northern VA
      2014 Explorer Sport
      Niiice...that is actually the sound I was looking for but unfortunately we had to move on to another vehicle

10. John925

John925 New Member

City, State:
      San Ramon, CA
      2015 Explorer Sport
      This may be a dumb question sorry but do we HAVE to order the Corsa exhaust through Livernois? Im trying to avoid having my tips stamped with their logo.

11. comper

comper Member

City, State:
      Stockholm
      2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      Livernois have a partnership with Corsa for the Explorer exhaust and I believe it's pretty exclusive at this time. I have the black (smoked) tips and the logo is barely visible.

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums...1-C863-4979-A750-4EB4563DFEA3_zpsvdaqhzjw.jpg

12. CalifLove

CalifLove Active Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      I've given up on 3" exhaust w/ custom mandrel bent pipe here... I haven't been able to find a shop that would do it thus far. So I decided to do 2 flows and potentially take out the res - next week, we shall see.

13. BillyG2014Sport

BillyG2014Sport Member

City, State:
      Delawhere?
      2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      X Pipe

I replaced the 3rd cat and resonator with an X pipe and a straight pipe. The X Pipe is supposed to eliminate any possibility of drone in the cabin since the resonator was removed. A lot of muscle cars use an x pipe or H pipe and I believe it is supposed to help balance out the exhaust somehow. Anyway I have a custom exhaust shop next to me and they said this would make mine less restrictive and lighter having removed the cat and resonator. It isn't much louder than stock and has a nice little deeper tone now with no drone. I may change out the mufflers in the future but it works for now. I didn't want to drop $1.500 on the Corsa and this was a much cheaper option. I also had them cut off my factory 3.5" tips and replace them with some stainless 4" tips. Makes it look a little different.
      Sorry for not responding to the post. I am not here much since I have made a few mods. Good luck guys.

14. CalifLove

CalifLove Active Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      Thanks for the additional info. That really helps. I did some more research on the Xcrossover deal and apparently there is a good amount of info out there stating exactly what you say, the X helps lower drone in many cars while allowing for more sound with the removal of stock resonators.

So with that, I went ahead and ordered a magnaflow unit off of amazon and will try to get it installed this weekend.. will report back on sound and some clips once done!

15. dentalpain

dentalpain Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Chipley, FL
      2016 Ford Explorer Sport
      i look foward to hearing your review. this is something im considering

16. CalifLove

CalifLove Active Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      All done, I think :)

This is the X Pipe I ended up buying -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XQO0VG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the mufflers I had installed as well just for reference -

http://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-94...&qid=1414298701&sr=1-3&keywords=super+44+2.25

I kept the stock tips but had the exhaust shop push them out about an 1.25" or so.

My thoughts -

Going from stock to just the rear mufflers changed out I was a BIT disappointed on the change as it was pretty mild. Definitely livelier but still pretty muted.

Yesterday I had the resonator replaced with the Xpipe and boy, there is a pretty drastic difference between stock and now and a good amount of difference from muffs only to muffs + Xpipe. It is pretty deep and throaty. Funny thing, as I pull into the garage now, the kitchen resonates like no other with all the dishes rattling and what not. Garage door rattles quite a bit as well. Not sure the woman is going to like that...we'll see.

I haven't spent a ton of time driving on the freeway yet so I haven't decided if I am OK with the sound over long distances. Like I said, it is pretty loud, even in the cabin. Drone - I suppose its subjective. There is a spot right around 2k RPM I think, in 6th gear that initially was annoying but I think I'm over that now. Again, another thing I'll have to hear about from the woman if that's going to be a huge issue or not.

Anyway, not much else to say. I'm pretty sure I wont be doing any further changes unless I *have to*. Overall, happy with the setup for now and would recommend it to anyone looking for a relatively loud setup. I should note, it is still possible to hold a conversation in the cabin without having to stress or yell to talk over the sound.

Hope the videos help anyone decide which way to go. PLEASE ignore my mess of a garage - I have quite a bit of projects going on all at the same time + my paintball gear has been out and not put away for a while now :) Thanks for all the contributors in this and the related exhaust thread for ideas and thoughts - I certainly appreciate it!

All 3 videos captured with the same device - HTC One M8 for anyone that cares.

2014 Ford Explorer Stock Exhaust in Garage
      http://youtu.be/ll1GL9mHu9o

Ford Explorer Flowmaster Super 44 Mufflers - in Garage
      http://youtu.be/OBqc8sB0EKc

2014 Ford Explorer Super 44's and Resonator replaced with XPipe - Exhaust in Garage
      http://youtu.be/lQYmFQ7_EMA

17. BenSport

BenSport New Member

City, State:
      Tijuana, Baja California
      2014 Explorer Sport
      Did you not rev the engine in all of the videos?

18. 74d34h

74d34h Member

City, State:
      NY
      2015 Explorer Sport
      This seems like a good inexpensive option compared to the Corsa. What was the labor time/cost? Can you post more sound clips revvin the engine or driving if possible? Thanks.

19. CalifLove

CalifLove Active Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport

Heres a link to me revving the engine. Phone is a bit away.

Since I did the job in parts w/ 2 different shops - it was a bit more expensive on the labor side. To get the mufflers replaced, that totaled ~$350 w/ tax from a somewhat local shop. Then I bought the Magna Flow Xpipe myself off of amazon for just under $100, and spent $95 to get that installed and the resonator removed. So all told, right around $550. I suspect had I done everything at same time and shopped around I probably would have ended up around $450-475 or so. As for time - I would imagine 1 guy could spend around 2-3 hours to get it just right. In my case, it took forever at the first shop as they had issues with the distributor bringing the miss match mufflers so I had to wait for that to get fixed, ended up taking a long lunch to do some conference calls, blah blah blah. Learned my lesson that time so for the XPipe install @ the second shop, I just dropped the car off and got it a few hours later when it was convenient.

20. gns30

gns30 New Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      01 Bullitt
      Man Cali shows no love for labor,hahah. I paid 100 bucks to weld both mufflers on and then 80 to have the third cat and resonator removed, then they still put the resonator back in for me for 40 once I noticed the drone was insane without it.

21. CalifLove

CalifLove Active Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      HAH, yea tell me about it. housing costs make EVERYTHING else more expensive...freagin eh

22. Johnny16

Johnny16 New Member

City, State:
      mi
      2014 sport
      I just installed Magnaflow exhaust on my 2014 Sport........and I like it!

$600 for the cat back and $100 for install, 700 total. It's loud but not overly loud and no drone so far!

Added DRAMUNO-5 22's Black on black wheels today and it's the best bang for your buck if you ask me. It changed the look of the car totaly!

Next: LED's Halo's, black door handles and tinted front windows!
      :popcorn:

Anybody have any luck ordering 2015 painted door handles?
      :feedback:

23. bdog76

bdog76 New Member

City, State:
      South San Francisco, CA
      2015 Explorer Sport
    24. anthony d

anthony d New Member

City, State:
      NY/NJ
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Do you have the tow package? If so, did you have any fitment issues? I have read that the Magnaflow doesn't fit the Sport model with the tow package.

25. fangelillo01

fangelillo01 New Member

City, State:
      Northern NJ
      2015 Sport
      Where did you purchase the Magnaflow kit for 600? I'm torn on doing custom replacement mufflers or the full kit but the kit I've seen for 900 and i just can't swing that

26. LROB75

LROB75 New Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport. It sounds really nice when I first start it up but then it is so quiet. I want to give it small increase in the sound. I read numerous threads regarding the removal of the resonator. I read a lot stuff regarding removing resonators. Some people said it is bad because you lose compression others were saying it does not matter. After I found this thread I knew this is kind of what I want to do. Since I am stationed overseas getting mufflers or cat-back systems might not be as easy so I was thinking of removing the resonator. I think the key thing I was missing was the X-pipe. I have never heard of it and did not know what it was or did. In your opinion do you think I will get the increase in sound just by installing the X-pipe and removing the resonator? Did you you ever do a decibel/sound meter test before and after? Thanks!