Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Exhaust Options for the Sport

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by BtownB10, March 6, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. LROB75

LROB75 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2014 Ford Explorer Sport
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I'm not really too knowledgeable about the entire exhaust system so I'll let someone else comment on your proposed setup but I believe that a certain amount of back pressure is required to maintain peak engine efficiency. I suppose as long as you maintain the current level of back pressure it should not affect the performance.:dunno:

Peter

4. LROB75

LROB75 New Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      I think this setup is better than a replacing the resonator with straight pipes...thoughts?

5. sawood711

sawood711 New Member

City, State:
      NC
      2015, Explorer Sport
      Has anyone taken out the front large resonator and put a magnaflow X-Pipe muffler (Pt # 11378)? I did this on my G35 coupe back in the day when it had a loud obnoxious exhaust and it actually tamed the exhaust, made it a lot more deeper in tone, took away 90% of the rasp and made it sound sexy lol. I see some people have taken it off and used the regular X-Pipe, but I haven't seen anyone use this one yet.

Also, has anyone verified if the Gibson axle back exhaust works with the Ex Sport? I am looking a budget friendly exhaust mods and I think a mix of the X-Pipe muffler and the Gibson exhaust it would really awaken the Sport.

https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Ex...?ie=UTF8&qid=1505819815&sr=8-1&keywords=11378

6. LROB75

LROB75 New Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      I think this is what you are talking about:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    7. sawood711

sawood711 New Member

City, State:
      NC
      2015, Explorer Sport
      That’s the muffler X-Pipe I’m referring to. He went one step futher though and took off the back mufflers. I’m looking to add some performance mufflers at the rear as well and not eliminate them. Maybe I’ll throw on some magnaflow one’s as well if the Gibson axle back exhaust doesn’t fit rhe X-Sport. Can any confirm or deny if the Gibson fits the X Sport or not?

8. LROB75

LROB75 New Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      I removed the secondary cat and resonator and replaced it with a "cheap" 2.25" x-pipe from Amazon but left the rear mufflers and honestly the small bump in deep tone is very nice. Sorry I didn't upload a video or pictures. I've read mix reviews regarding the Gibson axle back exhaust system so don't know how good they are or sound. I would rather go with a Flowmaster, Magnaflow or Borla mufflers.

9. sawood711

sawood711 New Member

City, State:
      NC
      2015, Explorer Sport
      I’ve heard videos of people with the magnaflow exhaust and honestly I couldn’t tell that they had an aftermarket exhaust on it from the YouTube video. After a quick search I am liking the Flowmaster 50 Delta Series. I want “better” performance and able to cruise around stealthy, but somewhat get noticed when I mash the throttle. I want a deep and rich tone that hints at I have something under the hood lol. Nothing loud or close to being raspy. I’ll keep searching and see what I can find. Only had the car for a week now and I’m wanting to go mod happy with it haha.

Last edited: September 20, 2017
    10. LROB75

LROB75 New Member

2014 Ford Explorer Sport
      I agree with you on how mellow the Magnaflows sound. There's another video on YouTube with an Explorer and Flowmaster's.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    11. Mlim_556

Mlim_556 New Member

City, State:
      Northern MA
      2017 Ford Explorer Sport
      Not much performance is gained if any by replacing resonators, mufflers, or cats. Most of the performance gain is from the piping itself to increase the exhaust flow.

12. Forddealz

Forddealz Active Member

City, State:
      NY
      Explorer 2016 Sport
      What do you guys think about Bourla exaust system? I saw a video on you tube, it did not sound much more louder but the guy said that there is no drone on highway speeds. Since the truck already feels fast enough for me on regular street driving, I am looking at exhaust options and a CAI. I cant even really hear that engine when I rev up. I just want the engine and the exhaust so that I can hear in what ecoboost 3.5 is really all about.

13. Eric F

Eric F Elite Explorer

City, State:
      So Cal
      2017 Explorer XLT
      Look up the videos posted by Jon Noriega on YouTube. He has a Borla system on his Ex. It should give you a real good idea about what you can expect.

@jonnoriega has posted those videos along with some review info on this site, too. A search for "Borla" should point you in the right direction.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    14. jonnoriega

jonnoriega Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Streamwood, IL
      2016 Ford Exp Platinum
      Thanks @Eric F

Here's a video of my Borla a week after I installed it. I also shot a video outside of the cabin as well. I'll shoot again after a few more months. I hope it helps.

• Like Like x 2
    15. brazeagle

brazeagle New Member

City, State:
      Stamford
      2018 Explorer Sport
      Can someone help with information on how to just add a MUFFLER (Borla, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, etc) to the new 2018? Those dual tips on the back may be an issue.
      Can someone help please.

I am tuned and very happy, just want to increase the sound on my 2018 Sport.
      Thanks,
      LCL

16. Forddealz

Forddealz Active Member

City, State:
      NY
      Explorer 2016 Sport
      I think you have to wait until one of Borla, Magnaflow, FlowM comes out with a muffler for Ford 18 as it has dual tips.