Exhaust Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Questions

DiGiornoRisingCrust

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hi, I just bought a 2007 EB with the V6 (I know, I know) and I'm looking at some new mufflers. I really like the flowmaster 50 series, but I'm worried it'll be too noisy in the interior. I don't mind a little noise, but I should be able to talk at a reasonable volume. Also, how easy is this to install? I can get some help welding, but I'd rather most of it not require it. The exhaust pipe is curved at an angle when it exits from the depths of under the car, so would I just be able to take the old one off and install the new one plus a tip and have it poke out behind the rear tire, or would I need to get a curved tailpipe so it exits straight out the back like it does now? Also, how easy is it to take the old system out?

Thanks, and I look forward to meeting you all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe you should just use a aftermarket cat-back system.

Hi, I just bought a 2007 EB with the V6 (I know, I know) and I'm looking at some new mufflers. I really like the flowmaster 50 series, but I'm worried it'll be too noisy in the interior. I don't mind a little noise, but I should be able to talk at a reasonable volume. Also, how easy is this to install? I can get some help welding, but I'd rather most of it not require it. The exhaust pipe is curved at an angle when it exits from the depths of under the car, so would I just be able to take the old one off and install the new one plus a tip and have it poke out behind the rear tire, or would I need to get a curved tailpipe so it exits straight out the back like it does now? Also, how easy is it to take the old system out?

Thanks, and I look forward to meeting you all!

I ran a FLOWMASTER® 50 SERIES DELTA FLOW MUFFLER on my 2004 Sport Trac, and I currently have one on my 2010 Sport Trac. It's a good muffler. It gives the vehicle a nice, deep rumble at idle, but isn't loud in the cabin at highway speeds. As for installation, simply remove the stock muffler and weld the FM in its place. There should be no need to remove any of the rest of the pipe. If you want it just a bit louder, you can also remove the resonator and replace it with a piece of pipe. This is the lease expensive way to upgrade your exhaust system.

If you want a direct bolt-on replacement with no welding, you're going to pay more for a complete cat-back system; and the cost will vary depending upon whether you want stainless steel or aluminized. Both Magnaflow and Gibson make bolt-on cat-back systems for the 2007 Explorer.

Sorry if I am hi-jacking the thread here , but I was looking into the Gibson Catback for my 4.0 limited. It says it's only meant for the v8 models is there really any difference in the exhaust or is it just due to the diameter of the pipe? Also what really scared me away was that I heard about fitment issues with it. Can anyone here confirm whether there is or isn't?

i have a 4.6 v8 with a KN CAI and a Gibson cat back the sound is amazing and the performance upgrade is worth it. the Gison cat back is wayyyyy smaller than the stock set up and the 3" pipe is loud on startup and throaty on acceleration. at steady speeds it almost completly mellows out and has zero resonance through the cab.

Back