Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Exhaust recall question

Discussion in 'Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU' started by asull85, December 19, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. asull85

asull85 Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Agawam, MA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016 Interceptor Utility
      Callsign:
      WX4FUN
      Have any of you had your PIU at the dealer for the exhaust recall? Other than modifying the tailpipes, what else did they do? I scheduled mine to go in on January 2. I was also informed they wouldn't be giving me a loaner while the work is done. Nice right?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 2013PIU

2013PIU Elite Explorer

City, State:
      WALNUT CREEK, CA
      2013 PIU
      On top of welding turn downs to the exhaust tips the dealership added a heavy duty lift gate weather strip and double checked that all holes for auxillary lights were plugged. They also reprogrammed the AC to circulate fresh air under hard acceleration. If it hasn't been done recently it may also be a good time to have the transmission fluid flushed as mine was nasty.

4. blob19

blob19 Member

City, State:
      Midwest
      2016 Interceptor Utility
    5. KayGee

KayGee Active Member

City, State:
      Farmington, MI
      '16 & '17 PIU
      That TSB is a lot of work and there are a lot of opportunities for inexperienced/rushed techs to do some damage to a vehicle.

I'm going to take a hard pass on having the exhaust tips ground off and downturns welded on. That is a totally half ass repair job.

I'll take the upgraded liftgate weatherstrip, but I didn't see anything mentioned in the TSB about it. Do you have a part number?

I think I had the updated HVAC programming done as there was a line item on my last RO, but I'll have to confirm if it was the update applicable to the TSB or something different.

6. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      Is it just me or does anyone else think after reading all those instructions they are not sure where the root of the problem is. That's a ton of warranty work payout.