and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Explorer 2001 OD Light start blinking after Little Drive

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by viral_bittu, October 26, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. viral_bittu

viral_bittu New Member

Year and Model:
      Ford 2001 Explorer XLS
      Hello,

I have ford Explorer 2001 and in normal drive in auto mode after 1o minutes of drive my OD Lights start Blinking.
      Is there anyone can help me ?

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      Year and Model:
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Welcome to the site. Hopefully one of the crew will have an answer for you. If you haven't tried yet, try using our search engine for your problem.

4. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      That light indicates the computer has detected something out of the ordinary. The computer system stores a "trouble code" when this happens. What you need to do is to get the computer codes read, and bring back the code number that is retrieved. We can better assist you with that info.

Welcome to the site. We are here to help.

If you need more explaination let us know.

5. Raminator157

Raminator157 Mopar Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Essex Jct Vermont
      Year and Model:
      05 Ram 1500
      Thread moved to proper forum.

6. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      Year and Model:
      B2 Mod
      also DO NOT CONTINUE TO DRIVE IT WITH A FLASHING OD LIGHT very important, could go from a $50 fix it ticket to a $2500 fix it ticket real fast

7. marragtop

marragtop Well-Known Member

City, State:
      balt, md
      Year and Model:
      91, 92, 95, and 2000 xlts
      410 is correct. When it's flashing, you should notice that the trans is shifting a bit harder. Not good for the trans.

8. viral_bittu

viral_bittu New Member

Year and Model:
      Ford 2001 Explorer XLS
      Car runs fine and there is no shifting prob . just flashing OD light I found no prob in my car . but when I went to the dealer to decode the prob he gave me:

"PERFORMED AN IDS TEST AND FOUND A CODE P0741.ROAD TEST WITH IDS AND RECORD MONITOR. TORQUE CONVERTER CLUCH WILL NOT FULLY LOCK UP.INTERNAL SLIP NEEDS TO COME OUT TO INSPECT. AVERAGE OVERHAUL FOR THIS CONCERN IS $1635.38 IN LBR $1469.04"

I am really worried about the money they were asking to spend , I would rather sell my car .

Pls help me out to avoid furthure problem.

Thanks

9. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      The code P0741 is the computer detecting that there appers to be some slippage in the torque convertor when it should be locked up. In a lot of the cases, this is a bad sign that the TC is failing.... but not all!

The fact you have no other symptoms makes diagnosing it a little more difficult.

A top rate shop would do a few things before committing you to a rebuild. (and if they do these things and it still means a rebuild expect to pay for their efforts in trying to save you $$).

First they would make sure the inputs to the computer from the ECT and TSS were up to par.

They would explain that there is SOME possibiolity that the separator plate gasket s in the VB were leaking, and at least try retorquing the valve body... They would explain that a leaking O ring on the torque convertor clutch solenoid could do this, and install a new one to try.

Failing this, NOW you are in rebuild country.