Explorer 4.0, crank problems, misfire and loss of power. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 4.0, crank problems, misfire and loss of power.

Vikane

Reaction score
City, State
Norway
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
My ‘96 Explorer 4.0 have given me a few worries lately, hope someone can recognise this and suggest possible solutions.

The engine is difficult to start, I have to crank the engine at least 10-20 second, worse when the engine is hot.
Sometimes, after start, it sounds like it’s not running on all cylinders, and when I am driving it has no power at all. It also misfires a lot.

There is no DTC present, other than one I have had for a while, P1151. I belive that code is present because I possibly have a cracked cylinder head, and this affects the emission.

I have measured the TPS and MAF, without finding anything.

Any suggestions to what might cause these problems ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might want to have your question moved to the EEC-V forum, where those more familiar with the '96+ engine management system can help.

first thing I'd probably check would be the fuel system. One of the first things I usually suggest with a hard warm start is to check the diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator (FPR). (I'm pretty sure your '96 still has the continuously recirculating fuel system) Pressurize the system/start the engine, then pull the vacuum line to the FPR. If there's obvious gasoline in that vacuum line, the FPR needs to be replaced. Then I'd put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what pressure the fuel system is generating.

Thanks for your reply MrShorty.
I was supposed to put the thread in the EEC-V forum, but it seems like I messed that up. Maybe admin can move it ?

I must admit that I have been thinking about the fuel system, because I replaced the original fuel pump a while ago with a walbro pump, could this affect the FPR ?

I will look into the fuel pressure and measure it.

The FPR is a basic mechanical back pressure regulator. As long as the pump is putting out the right pressure/volume, the brand of the pump shouldn't affect the FPR.

Back