Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 52 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

If the a pillar fix did not cure the buzzing the culprit is the windshield cowl. Mine just got replaced after a pillar fix failed. I'll post service invoice tomorrow.
I wanted to make sure you’re enjoying a quiet ride, gpzrider.

...Anyway, with the new clips and A pillar molding installed I haven't heard any buzzing what so ever. I've had it up to 160 km/h (100 mph) and still no noise, other than regular wind noise...
I really like seeing the update, Dannyinottawa. Thanks!

Hi Danny, I haven't had the problem but have seen several posts about the moulding coming off because of broken clips...
I’m glad you’ve been “noise-free,” Peter; you’re always very helpful. :thumbsup:

...Thankfully, the Dealer hears the sounds everytime and is beyond responsive and Ford CS has been wonderful, but this problem refuses to go away...
It’s very important to me that you get this fixed, Black Mounty. Please PM me your current mileage (I have your other credentials), so I can arrange a follow-up call.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thinking I am close to the record on number of times i've had A-Pillar replaced or addressed. After getting it addressed for the 8th time (this time gasket, no pillars) no buzzing but a constant droning at highway speeds.

Thankfully, the Dealer hears the sounds everytime and is beyond responsive and Ford CS has been wonderful, but this problem refuses to go away. Frustrating after getting the car back and driving 700 miles on a family vacation and hearing it for hours on end.

I'm starting to get at my wits end and may ask for entirely new windshield and all new trim pieces/mouldings. Ive still got a year and a half left on my lease not sure about what recourse i have.

such a shame because this is such a marvelous car.

Have them replace the windshield cowl. My A pillar fix did not resolve the problem either, but after extensive testing by South Bay Ford, they isolated the problem as the long black cowl that runs the length of the bottom of the windshield. Sounds exactly like the original buzzing sound of the A pillar. They replaced it 2 weeks ago and all quiet now. STill enjoying the exhaust smell in the cabin under hard acceleration though...

buzzed

Have them replace the windshield cowl. My A pillar fix did not resolve the problem either, but after extensive testing by South Bay Ford, they isolated the problem as the long black cowl that runs the length of the bottom of the windshield. Sounds exactly like the original buzzing sound of the A pillar. They replaced it 2 weeks ago and all quiet now. STill enjoying the exhaust smell in the cabin under hard acceleration though...

Under high speed driving conditions I now truely believe the area of the truck that is making the buzzing noise IS the lower cowl that sits along the bottom of the windshield.......do they replace the flimsy and soft rubber cowl with a more rigid piece or is it the same item??....

Anyone have pics showing what is causing the issue of the buzzing?

Noticed this washing the vehicle

The truck has been real dirty for a while. Washing it up today i noticed the issue depicted below on the A-Pillar that's been giving me problems. There is a clear bend/indentation in the A-Pillar that travels up the pillar. Its not cracked but it is clearly evident. Anyone ever seen this?

photo%25203.png

photo%25202.png

It sounds like this wind noise is a problem with all Explorers is ford issuing some kind of recall about this? We have the same problem with our 2012 explorer it drives me nuts.

It sounds like this wind noise is a problem with all Explorers is ford issuing some kind of recall about this? We have the same problem with our 2012 explorer it drives me nuts.
Welcome to the Forum hedge74. :wavey:
Don't expect a recall on this problem. If you check the TSB 'sticky' at the beginning of this Forum, you will see that there is a TSB (Technical Services Bulletin) on the issue. Take it in and have the dealer perform it. They should also replace the clips if any break off. Otherwise you could lose the plastic part when going down the highway. Some owners have discovered that their noise is coming from the cowl along the bottom of the windshield. They determined that by taping it down to see if the noise stopped and then had it replaced/fixed. To say that all Explorers have this problem is a bit of an exaggeration.
Good luck.

Peter

I originally posted back in November 2011. I had the A-pillar rattling sound constantly on the highway and very loud. My dealer in NJ replicated it first time out and had seen the issue before. The replaced the passenger A-pillar and molding and it went away. About 5 months later I started hearing an occasional rattle from the same area. Not nearly as loud as the first time I had the issue and only happens once out of every 5 times on the highway. When I brought it in for service in April they could not replicate it. But last week I was in for something else and they did hear it. They replaced the A-pillar molding again... the service manager said this time there is a brand new part from Ford and the first time it was replaced with the old part. Unfortunately my receipt does not have the part number but it does reference the TSB 12 01 11 which others have posted here. So far so good.

FYI, the other issue I went in for was that the paint on my hood was bubbling up along the seam under the front of the hood. You could even see paint bubbling up on the front edge of the hood in one spot. This was all along the front of the hood, under the gasket. Hood was completely repainted. I will start another post on this one.

It is definitely not a problem with all Explorers, as we have never heard the sound before in our car. But, it is apparently an issue with enough cars that Ford generated a TSB about the issue.

I just want to say that my local dealership has had our Explorer since Monday. I'm not mad about it, actually, I'm hoping that by having the vehicle they may help future owners with the buzzing issue.

Cory deserves a lot of thanks for "just doing his job" in this forum. I received a contact from the regional service manager who got us in, and we had no problem getting a rental while out of the vehicle.

Anyone who's asked me what we thought of the Explorer has received my honest opinion - it is a great vehicle, and even though there will be some first-run bugs I would buy another...and actually considered going up to the Limited or Sport.

If you're having this issue and getting nowhere with your local dealer, get in touch with Cory. Maybe try a different dealer as well. I will say, once they receive that call from the regional CSM they are really, really nice. I've had twice daily updates...even when the vehicle was just sitting there! :)

I have had my 2012 Explorer for 6 months...been in the shop about 5 or six times for wind / whistling noise to no avail...
..Sounds like its coming from the B-Pillar area
Hi, I have the same problem at around 65 MPH the right side of windshield very loud wind noise...
...We have the same problem with our 2012 explorer it drives me nuts.
Rredus, cnsheets, floridaob, & hedge74,

I’m sorry for missing the updates on this thread, guys. I wanted to check in to be sure your wind noise has been addressed. Please don’t hesitate to PM me your contact information (including the dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN) and I’ll escalate it up to your regional Customer Service Managers.

...But last week I was in for something else and they did hear it. They replaced the A-pillar molding again...So far so good...
I’m really glad to see your dealer took care of you, JH2011; thanks for posting an update. :thumbsup:

...Cory deserves a lot of thanks for "just doing his job" in this forum. I received a contact from the regional service manager who got us in, and we had no problem getting a rental while out of the vehicle...

If you're having this issue and getting nowhere with your local dealer, get in touch with Cory...
I really appreciate the shout-out, TxRanger351w!

Cory

Flutter at Windshield

Just picked up my 2013 XLT on Saturday.

It has the flutter/vibration at 65-70 mph and up.

Comes from the windshield rubber near the hood I think...

Is there a recall on this? Very annoying...

[B said:
azcoyote[/B];3044009]Just picked up my 2013 XLT on Saturday.

It has the flutter/vibration at 65-70 mph and up.

Comes from the windshield rubber near the hood I think...

Is there a recall on this? Very annoying...
Welcome to the Forum azcoyote.:wavey:
I believe you are referring to the cowl that runs along the underside of the windshield. There is no TSB on that although a few members have had the dealer replace it with positive results. You can try taping it down and doing the test drive again and see if that fixes it. If so, take it back to the dealer.
There is a TSB for 'A' pillar noise/buzzing but try the above first in an attempt to isolate the problem.
Good luck.

Peter

Just wanted to report that so far the noise has not returned. The latest TSB seems to take care of the issue.

Buzzing Noise Video

That's a fabulous video. My 2013 explorer is making the same noise, and its very hard to describe. I would have never thought of video taping it. Great idea.

WOW. I thought they fixed that problem in the 12's...... Guess not.

A-Pillar Trim Rattle and/or Buzz

I stopped at my dealer to schedule TSB 12-1-11 for the a-pillar buzz and was told it had been replaced by 12-9-3. This number is not listed with the other TSB's on this site. Is anyone familiar with the new TSB? Is my dealer correct. (They have a good service department). I am curious how it is different. Cory, are you familiar with this? Love my Explorer, by the way.

I stopped at my dealer to schedule TSB 12-1-11 for the a-pillar buzz and was told it had been replaced by 12-9-3. This number is not listed with the other TSB's on this site. Is anyone familiar with the new TSB? Is my dealer correct. (They have a good service department). I am curious how it is different. Cory, are you familiar with this? Love my Explorer, by the way.
I would think that they would be correct. It looks like the thread on the TSB sticky was last updated Jan. 20th.
Perhaps now the TSB includes replacing the plastic clips that posed a problem when trying to reuse them, if they didn't break first.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think that they would be correct. It looks like the thread on the TSB sticky was last updated Jan. 20th.
Perhaps now the TSB includes replacing the plastic clips that posed a problem when trying to reuse them, if they didn't break first.

Peter

Makes sense. Thanks!

Back