Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 57 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

My RH pillar moulding just broke, fortunately it wasn't while driving. Body shop I used broke it while removing it to do some painting and instead of replacing it they tried to glue it back. I'm going tomorrow to bring this up with them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My RH pillar moulding just broke, fortunately it wasn't while driving. Body shop I used broke it while removing it to do some painting and instead of replacing it they tried to glue it back. I'm going tomorrow to bring this up with them.

Hi lafd55,

Do you have any updates on your vehicle? Keep us posted! :)

Crystal

Parts are being ordered by body shop, should get a call when they are in.

2nd Time in for "A" pillar noise

Had to change the windshield to pass state inspection last week as there was a crack from a rock hit that passed right through the drivers view. Five days after windshield change the A pillar noise became present. It is currently in to get this fixed again and a few other little things seen too. (CD player not working properly, 911 assist & reminder set to off but still reminds me it's off.)

I know that if we didn't have to change the windshield, we would not have had to get this fixed again because it was noise free since the first fix back in July 2011. We live on a gravel road, so it is expected to have rock hits in the windshield, front area and wheel well areas.

18,400 miles on truck and will be 2 years old the 25th of this month.
I sure love my Fords!!!:thumbsup:

Had to change the windshield to pass state inspection last week as there was a crack from a rock hit that passed right through the drivers view. Five days after windshield change the A pillar noise became present. It is currently in to get this fixed again and a few other little things seen too. (CD player not working properly, 911 assist & reminder set to off but still reminds me it's off.)

I know that if we didn't have to change the windshield, we would not have had to get this fixed again because it was noise free since the first fix back in July 2011. We live on a gravel road, so it is expected to have rock hits in the windshield, front area and wheel well areas.

A lot of the A-Pillar noises originated from a bad installation of the A-Pillar trim.

I wonder if they replaced all the plastic clips with new ones as they should have done. As for the 911 assist reminder, there doesn't appear to be a fix for this. Others have the same issue and Ford has not been able to correct this. Hopefully this is something that will be addressed in the next update.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376517&highlight=911

Peter

...Five days after windshield change the A pillar noise became present. It is currently in to get this fixed again and a few other little things seen too...

Hi CajunFordEx,

I'm glad your Explorer is at your dealership so they can help. Additionally, I'll check out some options to assist. Shoot me a PM with your details, including your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work! :)

Thanks!

Crystal

Just picked up our Ex from the dealership. 22 miles to home and no rattle so the A pillar issue is fixed again. Now the other few issues are a different story.
I was told exactly what Peter said in his earlier post that the 911 assist bug was a software issue that they currently can not address but are very aware of it. It is hoped to be resolved in the next version upgrade. The CD player was supposedly fixed, but the wife said it still changes volume levels on it's own while playing a cd. It probably did not do it while they were fiddling with it as it dont always do this.

Our local dealership uses a third party for windshield replacement as they have closed their body shop a few years ago due to economic reasons. The folks at the glass place might have re-used the old clips.

Also for those that have the auto wiper function, it takes a different windshield than one without this function as the sensor is built into the glass of the windshield.
Also,I feel sorry for the Ford Focus consumer that has to change their windshields as the computer in them has to be reprogrammed when it's changed. Got all this info from the shop manager.:D

Thanks for the offer Crystal, but I have the best Southern Quality Ford dealership in La and personally know almost everyone working there. They have always been upfront and I have dealt with them since 1978. Acadiana Ford has loyal customers because they are loyal to their customers.;)

...Thanks for the offer Crystal, but I have the best Southern Quality Ford dealership in La and personally know almost everyone working there. They have always been upfront and I have dealt with them since 1978. Acadiana Ford has loyal customers because they are loyal to their customers.;)

I love to hear this kind of feedback about a dealership! If you'd like to make this "official" in our system, send me a PM with your name, phone number, and any details you'd like me to include about your experience; I'll document it in our system. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Just picked up our Ex from the dealership. 22 miles to home and no rattle so the A pillar issue is fixed again. Now the other few issues are a different story.
I was told exactly what Peter said in his earlier post that the 911 assist bug was a software issue that they currently can not address but are very aware of it. It is hoped to be resolved in the next version upgrade. The CD player was supposedly fixed, but the wife said it still changes volume levels on it's own while playing a cd. It probably did not do it while they were fiddling with it as it dont always do this.

Our local dealership uses a third party for windshield replacement as they have closed their body shop a few years ago due to economic reasons. The folks at the glass place might have re-used the old clips.

Also for those that have the auto wiper function, it takes a different windshield than one without this function as the sensor is built into the glass of the windshield.
Also,I feel sorry for the Ford Focus consumer that has to change their windshields as the computer in them has to be reprogrammed when it's changed. Got all this info from the shop manager.:D

Thanks for the offer Crystal, but I have the best Southern Quality Ford dealership in La and personally know almost everyone working there. They have always been upfront and I have dealt with them since 1978. Acadiana Ford has loyal customers because they are loyal to their customers.;)
I'm not sure who told you about the sensor being in the glass. The obviously aren't familiar with the vehicle. The sensor for the Rain Sensing Wipers is not in the windshield. The sensor is part of the rear view mirror assembly. The sensor is part #17D547. The sensor cover is that large black plastic cover (#17D550) just to the right of the mirror. You can easily check it out on fordparts.com and it shows the assembly parts and position on the windshield.

Peter

I had my 2011 Explorer windshield gasket replaced last year because of noise (with no problem since) but yesterday driving down the highway the passenger side A pillar blew off. I did not stop to get it because I wasn't sure what the heck happened (it was quite windy and thought something just hit my window). I took it in today to my local Ford dealer and they told me there was no way it just blew off that I must have done something to it and it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Sounds like maybe they didn't install it correctly or replace the clips? Needless to say I wasn't very happy with their response.

Wind Noise on 2013 Explorer

Hello, new to the forums here.

I just bought a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited the other day and went on my first road trip recently to notice some pretty heavy wind noise coming from the upper left corner of the windshield. When reaching speeds above 60 mph it sounded like there was possibly a leak around the glass or even a window was down, which of course there wasn't. The right side of the windshield is completely quiet. I was very pleased driving off the lot but now my super comfortable ride is feeling just a little bit less comfortable. I really hope that this is one of the common problems people have mentioned with earlier models in this thread and can be resolved with a trip to the dealer. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

I had my 2011 Explorer windshield gasket replaced last year because of noise (with no problem since) but yesterday driving down the highway the passenger side A pillar blew off. I did not stop to get it because I wasn't sure what the heck happened (it was quite windy and thought something just hit my window). I took it in today to my local Ford dealer and they told me there was no way it just blew off that I must have done something to it and it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Sounds like maybe they didn't install it correctly or replace the clips? Needless to say I wasn't very happy with their response.

Don't give up, this has happened to me on my 2013 and others. If you're not getting satisfaction at the dealer, PM Crystal and get customer service involved.

There is more discussion of this happening in this thread...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308477

Good Luck.

I had my 2011 Explorer windshield gasket replaced last year because of noise (with no problem since) but yesterday driving down the highway the passenger side A pillar blew off...

Hi cb2011,

Send me your information in a PM so I can check out some options to help. I'll need your VIN, dealer, current mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Don't give up, this has happened to me on my 2013 and others. If you're not getting satisfaction at the dealer, PM Crystal and get customer service involved...

Thanks for recommending me, chili-cat!

Crystal

I have a 2013 Explorer Sport that I believe has the cowl problem wind whistle. Approaching 70 I start to hear the noise and it increases as speed does. The noise is centralized and from what I can tell, is coming from down by the wipers. Many have suggested taping down the cowl to the windshield to test. I will try it this weekend, but I did noticed the the flexible cowl piece is a very flimsy and doesn't make a great seal across the bottom of the windshield. Is that normal?

Crystal,
Is there a TSB for the cowl on newer models too?

I have a 2013 Explorer Sport that I believe has the cowl problem wind whistle. Approaching 70 I start to hear the noise and it increases as speed does. The noise is centralized and from what I can tell, is coming from down by the wipers. Many have suggested taping down the cowl to the windshield to test. I will try it this weekend, but I did noticed the the flexible cowl piece is a very flimsy and doesn't make a great seal across the bottom of the windshield. Is that normal?

Crystal,
Is there a TSB for the cowl on newer models too?

I guess I am not the only one with this problem. I just noticed it today as my car is new & I just brought it on the expressway for the first time. :(. This stinks
When I got home, DH said it was probably the tires. Glad I found your posts.

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone happen to have available any images of these "clips"? My dealer here in No. NJ say the piece is simply kept on with tape (2 sided, maybe). The trim has stayed on, but at higher speeds, I definitely here a rattling sound happening at the lower portion of the trim, like it's hitting up against the underside of the car frame vibrating. I can wiggle the lower portion as well. It's on the drivers side, not the passenger side.

The buzzing from the A pillar, however, has been gone a long time now.

And is this something I can do, otherwise, this would be the only reason I would be taking the truck in.

Thanks.

Ercole

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone happen to have available any images of these "clips"? My dealer here in No. NJ say the piece is simply kept on with tape (2 sided, maybe). The trim has stayed on, but at higher speeds, I definitely here a rattling sound happening at the lower portion of the trim, like it's hitting up against the underside of the car frame vibrating. I can wiggle the lower portion as well. It's on the drivers side, not the passenger side.

The buzzing from the A pillar, however, has been gone a long time now.

And is this something I can do, otherwise, this would be the only reason I would be taking the truck in.

Thanks.

Ercole
Are you sure that the sound you now hear isn't from the cowl that runs along the bottom of the window? There have been a few reports about that item being loose. You could try taping it down and see if that cures the problem.
I don't know about the double sided tape procedure. I do know that the early issues about the 'A' pillar rattle not being fixed is that the installer was not replacing those plastic clips that broke off with the 'A' pillar trim removal. Subsequent kits to fix the rattle included the plastic clips. Sorry I don't have any pictures of them.

Peter

Back