Explorer Brake Upgrades | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Brake Upgrades

Because it's an SUV, and you're not going to be able to make it go faster. It's not build for what you're looking for. you can replace the engine, transmission, linkage, and wiring, and then you'd have your race car, but .. well.. you could just go buy a different car that was built for performance.

Of course you can make it go faster without replacing the engine, transmission, linkage (?) and wiring (??). You have contributed zero to this thread, just because you don't want to upgrade your brakes doesn't mean that nobody else could ever possibly want to do so.

I'd rather see upgraded brakes on this vehicle than neon undercarriage lights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow! fourZero, for a new member you sure seemed to have jumped onto this forum with an attitude. In 2 of your 4 posts you have mentioned, "You have contributed zero to this thread" or that it was an "incredibly useless post". Not exactly a great way to introduce yourself to the community. I would suggest perhaps using a more subtle approach in future posts.

Peter

I do not get online to this forum often but some of the comments in this thread are uncalled for and in some cases, just immature. It is the reason that some people do not bother with forums.

If someone wants to upgrade his/her brakes, mocking their decision is not the way to go about it and/or make friends here when you might need advice. A good critique goes a much longer way then ripping someone's decision apart.

I'm coming to this late, but Benny in the brake kit are the rotors included? I have a 2011 XLT and I need to resurface my rotors, but thinking of just upgrading instead to the sport setup instead.

Yes sir, Both the front and rear kits include rotors. Click on the links for a full breakdown of whats included:
Front http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-explorer-sport-brake-upgrade-front-p-2195.html

Rear http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-explorer-sport-brake-upgrade-rear-p-2196.html

-Benny

Benny, I'm interested in a conversion kit. I have a 2011 Flex EcoBoost. Have you sold this kit to any other flex owners yet or verified it's compatibility aside from just the part numbers? The flex is great, we love it, but the brakes are just not up to the challenge for spirited driving... and I recently picked up a camper that I intend to haul summer 2015 through the mountains.... so I need a solution. I'm a little hesitant because I haven't read many credible accounts for what the difference in pedal is, what is the increased pedal travel when you bolt on these brakes? Being that they seem to have larger calipers, I would assume the pistons would hold more fluid. Is there published volumes (sizes and numbers of caliper pistons) so I could compare fluid volumes of this interceptor/sport setup against the stock volumes? Is there also an alternate master cylinder of a large size that needs to be mated to these kits in order to get an ideal pedal travel and firmness? Or are the master cylinders the same size or part numbers??

I just wanna give a short review of my brake conversion (2011, Explorer Limited):
This was the fourth brake overhaul on my car after the previous discs only worked well for just 10000mi in average (one set of discs just worked well for 3000mi) on german driving habits ;).
This upgrade made made a big difference. They are now at 15000 mi, still having 100% brake power, so they're definately recommended.

After yesterday's snow, I got to say that I am very impressed with my 15' XLT break system. I already knew they were good on dry pavement but the ABS performed perfectly in the snow. Especially while descending the steepest paved hill known to man. In my opinion, the Explorers breaking system performed better than any modern vehicle my wife and I have owned in the past 5 years. They include a 2010 Grand Cherokee, 2012 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Acura MDX.

Benny, I'm interested in a conversion kit. I have a 2011 Flex EcoBoost. Have you sold this kit to any other flex owners yet or verified it's compatibility aside from just the part numbers? The flex is great, we love it, but the brakes are just not up to the challenge for spirited driving... and I recently picked up a camper that I intend to haul summer 2015 through the mountains.... so I need a solution. I'm a little hesitant because I haven't read many credible accounts for what the difference in pedal is, what is the increased pedal travel when you bolt on these brakes? Being that they seem to have larger calipers, I would assume the pistons would hold more fluid. Is there published volumes (sizes and numbers of caliper pistons) so I could compare fluid volumes of this interceptor/sport setup against the stock volumes? Is there also an alternate master cylinder of a large size that needs to be mated to these kits in order to get an ideal pedal travel and firmness? Or are the master cylinders the same size or part numbers??

Hello,

We have had Flex customers purchase and install the kit successfully. We do not have technical data as to the size of the pistons or how much more fluid they can hold. We have found there is a different master cylinder than the Explorer but we have not sold it to any of our Flex customers meaning they stayed with the original. Here is a parts list I compiled to compare the vehicles parts:

-Benny

Attachments

• explorer_brake_chart.gif
    explorer_brake_chart.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 634

Hello,

We have had Flex customers purchase and install the kit successfully. We do not have technical data as to the size of the pistons or how much more fluid they can hold. We have found there is a different master cylinder than the Explorer but we have not sold it to any of our Flex customers meaning they stayed with the original. Here is a parts list I compiled to compare the vehicles parts:

-Benny

Thanks Benny
Any idea if the booster is the same as well? From the "2140" number would it be safe to assume that the cylinder has the same displacement? Where do you guys get technical info on Ford parts? All the specs I can find are uniformly vague and lacking detailed information. Maybe I'm just expecting an unrealistic level of detail? I'm more used to working with German car parts than with domestics, so I feel like I'm at square one, trying to discover who is who in the aftermarket, and who are the best oem suppliers, etc.

Thanks Benny
Any idea if the booster is the same as well? From the "2140" number would it be safe to assume that the cylinder has the same displacement? Where do you guys get technical info on Ford parts? All the specs I can find are uniformly vague and lacking detailed information. Maybe I'm just expecting an unrealistic level of detail? I'm more used to working with German car parts than with domestics, so I feel like I'm at square one, trying to discover who is who in the aftermarket, and who are the best oem suppliers, etc.

Here are my findings on the booster:

11/2010 and up Flex - BE8Z2005B
11/2010 to 2/2012 Explorer - BB5Z2005A
2/2012 and up Explorer - DB5Z2005B

I see not booster specified for HD brakes only model year splits.

Technical information like what you are requesting is not available to us nor is it normally required during the normal task of selling replacement parts.

-Benny

Benny, i havent recieved an order confirmation yet, want to make sure it went through and didnt get lost to spam or something

Benny, i havent recieved an order confirmation yet, want to make sure it went through and didnt get lost to spam or something

I'm guessing first name Pete? If so your order number is 5776 for reference and has been received and is in processing. You should have received confirmation to your gmail account, Can you please check your spam folder?

Thanks,
Benny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Benny, after some digging, i found it in spam, thx again. Contact added so future emails wont be lost to the great filtered beyond

-Pete

Back