Explorer Brake Upgrades | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Brake Upgrades

Thanks for checking Pete

-Benny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that the Boost is way up, I'm looking for an upgrade too.

The Explorer Sport HD brakes are a marked improvement over the standard Explorer binders, but they are very heavy, looking to eliminate some unsprung weight but improve the performance a bit.

Now that the Boost is way up, I'm looking for an upgrade too.

The Explorer Sport HD brakes are a marked improvement over the standard Explorer binders, but they are very heavy, looking to eliminate some unsprung weight but improve the performance a bit.

Simple, forged rims. I saved about 4lbs/corner and that's with wider tires...

Simple, forged rims. I saved about 4lbs/corner and that's with wider tires...

Losing any unsprung weight helps, but I'm hoping for save more that 4lbs with with a lighter rotor and I like the stock Explorer Sport wheels and run them in the summer with bigger meats (265/50/20), so I'll be keeping the stock wheels.

Does anyone know if Brembo or AP or Wilwood is making a big brake kit for these trucks? IMO the stock brakes are underengineered for what these trucks are capable of.

If you think the Sport brakes are under engineered, try having the non-sport brakes on a rig with the ecoboost motor! I got them installed on the flex the other weekend. install went smoothly. ...now I have the larger sized "sport" carrier and calipers, so if i want to drop some unsprung mass or get a more powerful caliper in the future i should have some better options than were available with just the standard non-sport units. ...once i'm well out beyond my extended warranty period.

honestly, the added mass is pretty minimal... and it's relatively close to the axis of rotation. unless you are going to the extent of reengineering the front control arm geometry to mitigate dive, the best way to alter your effective spring rate is still going to be with actual springs. you will get a squared effect the further from the axis of rotation that you remove any unsprung mass... so (with generalized numbers for example only) for every 1 pound of tire you reduce the mass, it'll have the same effect as a 2 pounds of reduction in the rim mass, or 4 pounds of reduction at the outter edge of the rotor, or 16 pounds of reduction at the hub center.

So arguing against bigger stronger better brakes that are very close to the center of the rotational axis, in the name of unsprung weight, but not being willing to consider lightweight wheel options or tire profile and compound options as better locations for reducing unsprung mass, is absurd at best. If you are primarily concerned with steering road feel, just choose your next set of tires (and possibly wheels) wisely and you'll get the "best bang for your buck". if your thinking you want to alter your effective/dynamic spring rate by reducing unsprung mass, your not going to be able to effect dive characteristics without either A) changing to a higher static spring rate, or B) redesigning the front control arm geometry.

Just some reactionary thoughts as try to understand your unsprung weight comment. Take them or leave them. best regards.

All Sport's have the bigger brakes regardless of build date. After 12/3 all Explorers built after that have the bigger brakes except base models. Your Sport and a newer Limited or XLT has the same size brakes.
Not sure if some of you have read this thread from the beginning. But this poster had mentioned the brake comparisons a few years ago. The only Explorer with larger sizes is the Interceptor as mention early on. According to another member, increasing brake size doesn't necessarily increase your stopping ability. It depends on the tires as well.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3154972&postcount=16
All brakes were upgraded part way through the 2013 model run.

Peter

Not sure if some of you have read this thread from the beginning. But this poster had mentioned the brake comparisons a few years ago. The only Explorer with larger sizes is the Interceptor as mention early on. According to another member, increasing brake size doesn't necessarily increase your stopping ability. It depends on the tires as well.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3154972&postcount=16

Peter

True, the tires are the biggest key to stopping, for traction in any conditions.

My first custom brakes with 12.75" rotors would stop the tires at over 80mph. The ABS wasn't happy. I got that power from larger caliper piston areas, and the stock 95-01 calipers already had a big area. I changed later to a slightly smaller SSBC caliper, 43mm pistons(4). Now it's close to where the stock power was. Note this example was always with 18" wheels(72.5lbs wheel/tire), 31" when the power was more than the tires could handle. Now I'm back down to a 29" tire, about 10lbs less weight per tire. My 18's are aftermarket(cheap and heavy). I'd love to change to a lighter forged wheel(17"x9" Volk GTC). Most OEM wheels are relatively light, stick to those if possible.

So work on finding the best tire for the vehicle, and then optimize the brakes. Regards,

I want to upgrade my brakes to the Interceptor versions

So very recently, I was on the highway and two cars crashed to a halt a few car lengths in front of me. I slammed the brakes but the Explorer was hesitating to stop, had I not switched to the emergency lane, I would have struck them.

I changed the rear brakes only due to uneven wear and I did have issues with it. I am guessing since I bought really cheap pads, that was the main issue.

Anyway, I want to upgrade my rotors and pads to the interceptor package version since I know those brakes actually work. I know there was an upgrade to the brakes in 2013 that are similar to the interceptor brakes.

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer so I wonder if my caliper would be compatible if I upgraded the rotors and pads front and rear.

Also, is it even possible for me to order the police interceptor rotors and pads?

Thanks!

So very recently, I was on the highway and two cars crashed to a halt a few car lengths in front of me. I slammed the brakes but the Explorer was hesitating to stop, had I not switched to the emergency lane, I would have struck them.

I changed the rear brakes only due to uneven wear and I did have issues with it. I am guessing since I bought really cheap pads, that was the main issue.

Anyway, I want to upgrade my rotors and pads to the interceptor package version since I know those brakes actually work. I know there was an upgrade to the brakes in 2013 that are similar to the interceptor brakes.

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer so I wonder if my caliper would be compatible if I upgraded the rotors and pads front and rear.

Also, is it even possible for me to order the police interceptor rotors and pads?

Thanks!
As of the midpoint of the 2013 production line, all brakes were upgraded to the same ones as found on the Sport and Interceptor.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433079&highlight=interceptor+brakes

I've merged your thread with this existing one. Good luck and Happy New Year.

Peter

Hey guys the pads we sell with our kit are the HD version, Here is the breakdown:

Front Pads Standard:
Ford # DG1Z2001E
Motorcraft # BRF1435

Front Pads Heavy Duty:
Ford# DG1Z2001D
Motorcraft# BRF41

Rear Pads Standard:
Ford # DG1Z2200B
Motorcraft # BRF1383

Rear Pads Heavy Duty:
Ford # EG1Z2200B
Motorcraft # BRF1447

-Benny

I've been researching on the parts listed here just trying to see which pads the Interceptor uses. When I looked up parts with Interceptor Utility Vins, I got these results:

Pads:

Interceptor Utility:
Fronts: (BRF-1435) Brake Shoe or Disc Pad
Rears: (BRF-1383) Brake Shoe or Disc Pad

Sport:
Fronts: (BRF-41) Brake Shoe or Disc Pad
Rears: (BRF-1447) Brake Shoe or Disc Pad

This leads me to believe that the actual heavy duty high temperature brake pads are the BRF-1435s and the BRF-1383s. I'd rather get the Interceptor high temperature pads that have noise. Can someone help me confirm the information I provided? I checked several police interceptor vins and they all had the same pad information as did the Sports with other Sports.

With the rear calipers for the Sport and Interceptor seem to have changed every year from 2013 to 2015. Does anyone know the difference between the rear calipers between each model years? Also, does anyone know the difference between the Sport calipers and the PI front calipers? I read that it was the silicone versus rubber but is there any other difference other than that?

Calipers:

Interceptor:
Fronts: (BRCF-208) & (BRCF-209) Front Disc Brake Calipers (2013 - 2015)
Rears:
2013: (BRCF-210) & (BRCF-211) Rear Disc Brake Calipers (Same as Sport)
2014: (BRCF-280) & (BRCF-281) Rear Disc Brake Calipers (Same as Sport)
2015: (BRCF-304) & (BRCF-305) Rear Disc Brake Calipers (Same as Sport)

2015: (BRCF-302) & (BRCF-303) Rear Disc Brake Calipers with description:
Un-loaded; OE Design, w/ Standard Duty Calipers and Pads ??????

Sport:
Fronts: (BRCF-292) & (BRCF-293) Front Disc Brake Calipers (2013 - 2015)
Rears:
2013: (BRCF-210) & (BRCF-211) Rear Disc Brake Calipers (Same as PI)
2014: (BRCF-280) & (BRCF-281) Rear Disc Brake Calipers (Same as PI)
2015: (BRCF-304) & (BRCF-305) Rear Disc Brake Calipers (Same as PI)

2015: (BRCF-302) & (BRCF-303) Rear Disc Brake Calipers with description:
Un-loaded; OE Design, w/ Standard Duty Calipers and Pads ??????

Attachments

• fordpads.jpg
    fordpads.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 516
  • fordpadssport.jpg
    fordpadssport.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 524

Why do you want the high temp pads? Under normal driving, you are unlikely to ever get them to their maximum temperature. What I would like is a more aggressive compound. I hate the amount of pedal travel that is required to get it to stop. Not used to this type of vehicle and usually end up traveling further than expected before it comes to stop. Will need to look at what pads are out there from the aftermarket.

Why do you want the high temp pads? Under normal driving, you are unlikely to ever get them to their maximum temperature. What I would like is a more aggressive compound. I hate the amount of pedal travel that is required to get it to stop. Not used to this type of vehicle and usually end up traveling further than expected before it comes to stop. Will need to look at what pads are out there from the aftermarket.

When I had 7 people averaging 150 pounds per person in the car. I was braking from 80 MPH and the whole car was vibrating/shaking because the rotors had warped from heat and the brake fade was insane. Not to mention when I was towing my friend's Taurus with 7 people in the car, stopping power was dismal with the 2011's stock brakes. I should actually upload that video, it was pretty funny.

When I brought the car in for a brake inspection in 2012 at just 10,000 miles, my service manager said I am extremely hard on my brakes but all I ever did was drive it normally.

I'm planning to get the brakes changed before my spring break trip this spring.

Okay, I'm stuck. How do I remove the parking brake wire from the caliper?

Ok...my new to me 2013 XLT has a brake pulsation and will eventually need brakes. What's everyone using for performance/upgraded brakes? In the past I used drilled and slotted rotors on the 2004 Explorer XLT I used to own but had problems with the rotors rusting around the holes and slots. Most recently I used cheap Advance Auto Parts rotors on the 2008 edge Limited I just traded in and they were just about worse than the drill/slotted one in terms of rust. I'd like to put a some nice performance brakes on that will last a while and not rust out so quickly. Looks like NAPA had some decent stuff.....Adaptive One pads and Reactive One rotors......lifetime warranty on both. Anyone currently using them or have used them in the past??

Ok...my new to me 2013 XLT has a brake pulsation and will eventually need brakes. What's everyone using for performance/upgraded brakes? In the past I used drilled and slotted rotors on the 2004 Explorer XLT I used to own but had problems with the rotors rusting around the holes and slots. Most recently I used cheap Advance Auto Parts rotors on the 2008 edge Limited I just traded in and they were just about worse than the drill/slotted one in terms of rust. I'd like to put a some nice performance brakes on that will last a while and not rust out so quickly. Looks like NAPA had some decent stuff.....Adaptive One pads and Reactive One rotors......lifetime warranty on both. Anyone currently using them or have used them in the past??

Question, is your Explorer an early model 2013 Explorer? Check to see if your front rotors have the little cut outs around the hub. If not, you have the older 2011 - 2013 brakes which I had a problem with myself driving tons of people.

I would recommend installing the Sport/ Interceptor brakes instead if your car doesn't have it because they are bigger, and tested by Ford, and it's made factory specific for the vehicle. I did the upgrade and it fixed my parking brake issue, my soft pedal issue, and every other issue I have had with them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree with 1995E

That Sport/Police brake package is plug and play and OEM.

Larger rotors, pads, and calipers.

If you check out the vendor on this site, Benny from Levittown Ford SuperCenter he has the package listed on his website for a good price.

Benny?........

Back