Explorer Engine Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Engine Swap

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
I am thinking about swapping my 97's engine, with a 2003. Would the computer work with it, or would I need to get the computer from the 2003 also. Unless there is an easier way to fix mine. It has the Loud Rattle, and it idles rough, and when its cold it hesitates for the first couple minutes.

Unless debris has gotten stuck in any oil passages, or the cam timing has gotten off enough to bend valves, the timing issues can be fixed. Find out if anything has been done with the cam drive parts.

Find a trustworthy mechanic to give an opinion about whether too much damage has occured. Ask if your symptoms point to the valvetrain. If so, and not all of those parts have been changed to 2002+ parts, then they should be changed ASAP. The actual parts(5) will cost less than $200, the labor to change the back cam cassette is high though. Good luck,
Don

I don't think I have any valve damage, but I have 140k on my 97, and I can get a 2003 from a wrecked X for cheap. Less than it would cost for labor to change the timing chain tensioners probably, and I could probably fix any problems with the 03 while its out of the vehicle. However, im not sure if they changed the computer program, that would make a big difference in using this engine. Does anyone know if they changed this engine, or would it just drop in and work?

Thanks,
Joe

The later PCM's did change to a different kind of learning system. I've inquired about using a later five speed automatic, to enable me to install an AWD transfer case in a 99.

The only improvements for the older SOHC's is to install 2002+ SOHC parts. To use the later engine, likely you will have to use a matched set of PCM, trans, and intake system.

I believe that you could use just the long block. Check with someone else, maybe the PCM tuners, to see if the cams are close enough for your PCM to work.

What do you think you would call a good price for a used 5R55E from the later trucks. I will still be trying to get the later trans case into my 99 SOHC Explorer chassis. LOL,
Don

Back