• Register Today It's free!

Explorer hood vibrates

kookoo4nsx

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I searched and can't believe I seem to be the only one that has this problem.
When travelling over 60mph I hear a low pitched hum/vibration. I have ruled out the radio, phone, MFT interfearance. Apparently the tires I have are not known to be loud, the noise persists even if I shift to N.

I noticed the center part of the hood about 1 ft in front of the winshield closest to the dash, seems to vibrate. The center sometimes vibrates like a reed in a Sax. The hood seems to be made of very thin metal at this point, while the raised passanger and driver sides of the hood seem like thicker metal.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When travelling over 60mph I hear a low pitched hum/vibration. I have ruled out the radio, phone, MFT interfearance. Apparently the tires I have are not known to be loud, the noise persists even if I shift to N.

I noticed the center part of the hood about 1 ft in front of the winshield closest to the dash, seems to vibrate. The center sometimes vibrates like a reed in a Sax. The hood seems to be made of very thin metal at this point, while the raised passanger and driver sides of the hood seem like thicker metal.

Welcome to the Forum kookoo4nsx.:wavey:
In the 2 years I've had mine I have never noticed any noise or vibration from the hood. It is made of aluminum. I also don't recall reading any previous posts regarding your issue. Perhaps you should mention this to your dealer the next time you go in.

Peter

How many miles do you have? Have you had the balance on your tires checked? I have a feeling it's not the hood that is the problem, it's the vibration frequency showing up in other areas.

Hi kookoo4nsx,

I responded to your PM with some suggestions on next steps. Generally speaking, a great idea is getting your vehicle to the dealership so they can perform an inspection. I'm always happy to see how I can help as well; check out your inbox for my message. I outlined some information that I'll need to move forward.

Thanks!

Crystal

I only have 1k on the car and the tires are perfect. The vibration is plainly visable. It mainly happens when there is a crosswind. When the hood visually vibrates the noise is there when it does not vibrate, no noise.

If you go ahead and put your palm on the center of the hood about 1ft from your winshield wipers, I think you may be surprised how thin the sheet metal is right there.

The hood closes firmly and locks and there are no missing spacers between the hood and body as far as I can tell.

Very weird. I logged in tonight to research this same issue. I noticed it today on my Sport. Haven't had for 3 weeks yet. I love the vehicle but visually noticed the good vibrating - but didn't hear anything.

I only have 1k on the car and the tires are perfect. The vibration is plainly visable. It mainly happens when there is a crosswind. When the hood visually vibrates the noise is there when it does not vibrate, no noise.

If you go ahead and put your palm on the center of the hood about 1ft from your winshield wipers, I think you may be surprised how thin the sheet metal is right there.

The hood closes firmly and locks and there are no missing spacers between the hood and body as far as I can tell.

The hood is aluminum. Are you sure it's the hood? I had a similar issue on my 2011 and it turned out to be the black plastic in front of the windshield was loose. Dealer fixed it and the rattle went away.

I'm wondering if I am missing a support under the hood or the insulation was not properly glued. Can you guys press on the center of the hood near the winshield and see if it feels soft and flimsy? Also do you see vibration while travelling at highway speeds?

Very weird. I logged in tonight to research this same issue. I noticed it today on my Sport. Haven't had for 3 weeks yet. I love the vehicle but visually noticed the good vibrating - but didn't hear anything.

Hi Wdrossi,

Bring this to the attention of your dealership so they can take a look. I'll offer you the same assistance that I have to others: send me your information via PM and I'll loop in your regional customer service manager. Be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

kookoo4nsx,

Im experiencing the same issue, Im ready to take my to the dealr, but Im suspecting they will tell me is a engineer design issue....

I'm wondering if I am missing a support under the hood or the insulation was not properly glued. Can you guys press on the center of the hood near the winshield and see if it feels soft and flimsy? Also do you see vibration while travelling at highway speeds?

I was wondering the same, something is not glue or missing a support piece.

I don't know if this is the same problem, but my Explorer used to have a hum which originated from the cowl at the base of the windshield. My Ford dealer replaced the cowl and the hum went away.

kookoo4nsx,

Im experiencing the same issue, Im ready to take my to the dealr, but Im suspecting they will tell me is a engineer design issue....

Hi apopkaford2013,

If you don't want to make a special visit to have this addressed, you can always bring it up at your next oil change. Let us know how things progress for you; if you need my assistance, I'm just a few clicks away. :)

Crystal

I have an update. I went to Sarasota Ford. 2 service tecs test drove the vehicle and experienced the same vibration and hum. The dealer body shop removed the insulation from underside of the hood and found 2 defects.

Apparently the hood sheet metal is supported by a frame/brace underneath the hood and welded in parts and then where their are larger gaps like in the center of the hood an epoxy of some sort is used. Well, the epoxy split so with no support, the hood vibrates. I think this is going to be a big problem for Ford. I went and placed my hand on several Explorer's hoods and pressed down in the center about a foot from the windshield. Some of the hoods were firm and some were as flimsy as Tupperware.

Anyhow the dealership used some type of epoxy/foam to reconnect the hood to the brace underneath. It was solid...................but totally uneven and bumpy like my hood was hit with golf balls. They kept it another day and could not get it level and solid.

At this point I have been driving a pretty old F150 business loaner and I've been without my Sport for a full week. Sarasota Ford tells me the only solution is to order a factory hood and have the body shop paint it and install.

What do you all think about this solution?

Oh, yeah one more thing, the hood vibration caused the plastic part that butts up against the lowest part of the windshield to warp and that's what was causing my hum. I have pic's but don't know how to post. If I can email them to someone here so they can post that would be great!

I have an update. I went to Sarasota Ford. 2 service tecs test drove the vehicle and experienced the same vibration and hum. The dealer body shop removed the insulation from underside of the hood and found 2 defects.

Apparently the hood sheet metal is supported by a frame/brace underneath the hood and welded in parts and then where their are larger gaps like in the center of the hood an epoxy of some sort is used. Well, the epoxy split so with no support, the hood vibrates. I think this is going to be a big problem for Ford. I went and placed my hand on several Explorer's hoods and pressed down in the center about a foot from the windshield. Some of the hoods were firm and some were as flimsy as Tupperware.

Anyhow the dealership used some type of epoxy/foam to reconnect the hood to the brace underneath. It was solid...................but totally uneven and bumpy like my hood was hit with golf balls. They kept it another day and could not get it level and solid.

At this point I have been driving a pretty old F150 business loaner and I've been without my Sport for a full week. Sarasota Ford tells me the only solution is to order a factory hood and have the body shop paint it and install.

What do you all think about this solution?

Oh, yeah one more thing, the hood vibration caused the plastic part that butts up against the lowest part of the windshield to warp and that's what was causing my hum. I have pic's but don't know how to post. If I can email them to someone here so they can post that would be great!

That plastic piece you are referring to is the 'cowl'. There are other members who have had a problem with it.
As for posting pictures, you can become an Elite Member and that will allow you to post pictures/photos. Also, in the New Members Forum there is a thread about how to post pictures using 'Photobucket'.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359901

One of the Forum rules is that Elite Members are not to post pictures/photos for non Elite members.

As for the hood, I would get them to replace it. There are few other options if you want it fixed.
Good luck.

Peter

I am concerned about the quality of the body shop painting the hood. I am concerned about the paint matching exactly, no orange peel and how it holds up vs factory paint.

Do I have a valid gripe here?

I am concerned about the quality of the body shop painting the hood. I am concerned about the paint matching exactly, no orange peel and how it holds up vs factory paint.

I sincerely hope you have better luck on this repair then we did. Our new 2013 had paint flaws on the hood and top right off the Dealer lot. Not noticed until 400 miles later. It was never repaired to our satisfaction for the same reasons you mention above ! Good Luck, and at best you should get a platinum extended 5 yr warranty on the whole car. We did....but Ford was not kind about it.............best regards Plum

You have a valid gripe but unless you are willing to live with what you now have, you have little choice but to have it repaired. Getting the perfect paint match is always a concern no matter where you have it done. I think that these days paints hold up as well as factory ones. If you are having a Ford body shop doing the work it could well be the same paint that the factory uses. I believe that all paint jobs also carry a warranty.
Good luck.

Peter

I got my explorer two months ago and took it to florida for a few weeks. On the drive home I noticed the same noise which was very annoying. It went away on a few occasions ( i guess depending on the wind) and it didn't occur until i exceeded 65 MPH. I thought it was the windshield wipers at first but im pretty sure its the same issue mentioned above. There are only 7000 km on it.
taking it in this week i hope to correct this issue and a few others.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got my explorer two months ago and took it to florida for a few weeks. On the drive home I noticed the same noise which was very annoying. It went away on a few occasions ( i guess depending on the wind) and it didn't occur until i exceeded 65 MPH. I thought it was the windshield wipers at first but im pretty sure its the same issue mentioned above. There are only 7000 km on it.
taking it in this week i hope to correct this issue and a few others.
I would expect that it is the plastic cowl that is the culprit.

Peter

Back