Explorer hood vibrates | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer hood vibrates

Was your hood vibrating? I'm guessing our cowl is fine, as I haven't heard a humming noise the few times I've driven it. My wife likes listening to music, so it's doubtful she will ever hear it, even if it's there. lol Was your cowl separating from the windshield at all? I'll do a visual and a test drive later this week when she's not working.

I couldn't tell if it was coming from the hood or the cowl. The best I could describe it was a vibrating/humming noise coming from the direction of the hood.. The cowl wasn't noticeably separated.. It was a little loose if I physically tried to peel it back.. I haven't done an inspection post fix to see if it is more firm against the windshield..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was your hood vibrating? I'm guessing our cowl is fine, as I haven't heard a humming noise the few times I've driven it. My wife likes listening to music, so it's doubtful she will ever hear it, even if it's there. lol Was your cowl separating from the windshield at all? I'll do a visual and a test drive later this week when she's not working.

I will say that it didn't matter if I had the radio on full blast, the noise was unmistakable.

I couldn't tell if it was coming from the hood or the cowl. The best I could describe it was a vibrating/humming noise coming from the direction of the hood.. The cowl wasn't noticeably separated.. It was a little loose if I physically tried to peel it back.. I haven't done an inspection post fix to see if it is more firm against the windshield..

Thanks for the info. Sounds like my issue may just be with the hood. It's visually very noticeable, especially at higher speeds. Definitely not normal, as the only other vehicle I've seen do that is my mom's 2014 Mazda CX-5. It was fixed under warranty. They said the bonding agent from the factory was defective, so they had to "re-do the bonding process." After that, no more hood shake.

Vibrating Hood

I've been test driving Sports and I'm buying a 2013 with 18k. I have noticed on some that the hood seems to vibrate about 12" in front of the windshield at highway speeds which I thought was weird. Some do - some don't. I haven't heard any sounds associated with it though. I know the original post was a few years ago - but more information is better than less.

I've been test driving Sports and I'm buying a 2013 with 18k. I have noticed on some that the hood seems to vibrate about 12" in front of the windshield at highway speeds which I thought was weird. Some do - some don't. I haven't heard any sounds associated with it though. I know the original post was a few years ago - but more information is better than less.
See posts 51 and 83.

Peter

Hello,

I have had my 2016 XLT ecoboost for one week. The one I test drove was quiet and smooth, but it had the 6 passenger configuration. I decided that I wanted the 7 passenger config. My XLT seems to be much louder than the one I test drove. I brought it back to the dealership on day #3 and the tech drove it (without me in the truck with him) and said everything is fine, that is the turbo. I have uploaded an audio clip of the engine, can you help me figure out what this sound could be from?

https://youtu.be/x-5h006nsVM

Also, I have noticed the hood vibrating when I drive, has anyone else seen this?

Thank you.

Yes my hood "moves" a little at speed but note the hood is aluminum so it is a little "softer" than steel.

Do you have the 2.3L ecoboost? If so, it is louder at idle than the 3.5L NA engine. But it runs smoother.

Definitely not from a turbo.
Could be from a bad injector.

There is definitely a problem somewhere. I would talk to the service writer and have him assign someone else to your vehicle. If he balks, I would have a different service department from another Ford dealer look at it.

The hood should not be moving. Aluminum or any other alloy composition has nothing to do with it.

Definitely not from a turbo.
Could be from a bad injector.

There is definitely a problem somewhere. I would talk to the service writer and have him assign someone else to your vehicle. If he balks, I would have a different service department from another Ford dealer look at it.

The hood should not be moving. Aluminum or any other alloy composition has nothing to do with it.

"Shouldn't" but it does have some flex/shimmy at freeway+ speeds on my previous 13 and current 16 but nothing horrible.

The hood shimmy was indeed one of the curiosities I noticed right away with our '16 Platinum. Never seen that before on any car - to where I stopped and checked that the hood was fully closed (it was). Doesn't seem to affect anything, though.

Not sure if that engine is direct injected (The 3.5L Ecoboost is), but sounds like the normal sound of a direct injection engine. Fuel is hi-pressurized and injection system has a sound like diesel clatter. I'm still getting used to it on mine - I really only hear it at idle; always sounds to me like valve or lifter problems but I've been assured it's normal.

Not sure if that engine is direct injected (The 3.5L Ecoboost is), but sounds like the normal sound of a direct injection engine. Fuel is hi-pressurized and injection system has a sound like diesel clatter. I'm still getting used to it on mine - I really only hear it at idle; always sounds to me like valve or lifter problems but I've been assured it's normal.

+1, normal as can be.

That doesn't right to me. I have the 3.5L NA engine in my explorer but my wife has the 2.0L Ecoboost engine in her Escape. Her 2.0L is much quieter than your 2.3L Ecoboost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All of Ford's Ecoboost engines are direct injection.

Back