Explorer manual transmission swap questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer manual transmission swap questions

i need to know if the pedal assembly will work...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there should be punchouts in the firewall metal check to see if they are the same bolt pattern if so im sure it could be made to work as for the difference in clutches idk see which came with the bigger clutch if any and go with that setup ie flywheel, disc, pressure plate. in still in the air about slave cylinder options there is the concentric which is right on the input shaft and throwout bearing and the regular which pushes on an arm from the exterior of the bellhousing, but the explorer /ranger didnt ever come that way so cancel that lol

...??

OK finally found a donor 97 ranger for 500 bucks. Body is really nice but frame is rotted out Yikes!! So i just have to get some new odds and ends before i start this project but i will keep ya updated. Anybody have any experience with SPEC clutches? specifically the stage 2+? And does anybody have any knowledge on the difference in clutch sizes and flywheel bolt patterns between the years of 4L's

bump?

1st gen flywheels are secured by 6 bolts but 2nd gen flywheels have 8 bolts...besides that, i think they are the same

just get a new 8 bolt flywheel and clutch setup for your year explorer. the pedal assembly idk if its the same from a 91 but i got mine from a 97 ranger and its identical. the clutch pushrod just goes through the firewall grommet. the upper pedal bracket bolt are near impossible to get to but i got em out wth the dash in lol the steering column was the easiest it came out in 10 mins.

Finally did the swap, everything was a direct swap over lol. only problems i have are a leaky rear main seal.... shoulda left the stock one alone lol, and about 6 transmission fault codes(sniper tuning is writing me a tune to shut off the transmission paramaters) and it seems to be in some sort of limp mode from the trans. It will intermittently at part throttle pull fuel and timing and cause it to buck a few times to get the transmission which it thinks is in serious trouble to shift. And i wouldnt recommend just hollowing the upper cats without welding pipe inside of them cuz it sounds like garbage lol.

Fixed the trans codes and limp mode with sniper tuning we force flashed in a program from another EECV with the manual trans tune works perfect and has double the power now lol

can you give me a link to Sniper tuning or contact info?

I have an 05 Sport trac, and think it would be neat to do a manual swap...

I'm wanting to do this to my 97 explorer with 4.0 sohc. What parts do i need?

Back