Explorer PIU Overhead Cut Out Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer PIU Overhead Cut Out Question

Eric Z

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Explorer PIU
I have a 2015 and am looking for ideas as to what to do with a hole left in the overhead. I assume it was some sort of radio or maybe light control panel, but what was in there and what are people doing when they civilize theirs? Was thinking of overhead lights, but can not seem to find any that look right. Also considered just overhead storage, but again can not find cubbyhole or bin that looks right. Not sure how to include a picture with this post, but........ Any ideas would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are talking about a 3 or 4 inch circle directly between the 2 front seats it was a dome light mine has white or red light in it. I am planning on putting a flip down dvd / media player. For kids in back seat.

Eric, a picture of this hole might help spur some ideas.

Peter

Eric, a picture of this hole might help spur some ideas.

Peter
Peter, would like to show picture, but not quite sure how?? My hole is not from the dome light as I still have that, but is more towards the front on the downslope of the headliner just behind the current overhead light and glasses holder. I suppose I could mount an 8-track player in the hole, but as the in-dash CD player works just fine...

Peter, would like to show picture, but not quite sure how?? My hole is not from the dome light as I still have that, but is more towards the front on the downslope of the headliner just behind the current overhead light and glasses holder. I suppose I could mount an 8-track player in the hole, but as the in-dash CD player works just fine...
Since you are not an Elite member you will have to find a 3rd party hosting site (not Photobucket) to link to. With an Elite membership you can post right from your device.
You can try this method and see if it still works and let me know please; FAQ: Posting/Editing Pictures...
EDIT: Just reread that and it refers to adding pics from the Internet and not the computer.

Peter

photo.php
Yes the hole is about 7 inches wide by 3 1/2 tall, so about radio opening size. Might have to sign up for Elite as Forum has been very helpful to-date.

1mAQ9t0.jpg

Is this what you are talking about?? If so it is an extra dome light for the center workspace

1mAQ9t0.jpg

Is this what you are talking about?? If so it is an extra dome light for the center workspace
Thanks for the photo as it helps. I have the round white dome light, but I also have the 3x7 hole cut into the backside of the overhead console hump you show in this picture. I don't see a pile of left over wires in the hole, so unsure what was in there. My roof has three antennas in addition to the stock one, so maybe??? Have you taken out your headliner before? Is that hard to do? Might help clean up the whole roof/ headliner thing and maybe just add door to cover my opening?

Yea it's easy to pull down. Take out the 6 upper pillar covers take the visors off. And hanger holders and it pops down it's held up with magnets

Yea it's easy to pull down. Take out the 6 upper pillar covers take the visors off. And hanger holders and it pops down it's held up with magnets
Magnets??? Wow, thought I saw that somewhere, but did not believe that would be factory. Pop the headliner down and that will allow me to get a ton of stuf done on my list. A few roof dents, stray antenna wires rattling around, better seal up holes, dome light in the back cargo area......

Do you have the garage door opener on the visor? If, not and you wanted one, perhaps when sealing up that hole you could fashion an opener in there.
Adding Homelink Garage Door Opener

Peter

Thanks Peter for the how to about the headliner R&R. That will save some time and work. I am going to install my 2 meter radio and antenna when it gets warmer. Thanks again.

Thanks Peter for the how to about the headliner R&R. That will save some time and work. I am going to install my 2 meter radio and antenna when it gets warmer. Thanks again.
My dual bander has been sitting in the basement for about 10 years. Battery is probably dead in it. Just can't find a convenient mounting place in these newer vehicles. Can't do any drilling or cutting as I lease my vehicles. It was last used in one of the Highlanders. I have a few more 'rigs' in the house but not very active any more.
Good luck.

Peter

Do you have the garage door opener on the visor? If, not and you wanted one, perhaps when sealing up that hole you could fashion an opener in there.
Adding Homelink Garage Door Opener

Peter
Peter that is great idea and given my opening size as 7x3 I'll add a map light on each side and.... Will post picture when completed and when accepted as Elite member :)

Peter that is great idea and given my opening size as 7x3 I'll add a map light on each side and.... Will post picture when completed and when accepted as Elite member :)
Thanks for joining up Eric.:thumbsup:

Peter

PIU Overhead.jpg

This is the opening I am dealing with !

Holy hell that's a large hole. I'll bet they had a switch board up there. I'd Make a plate mount a GPS and garage opener up there.

The hole was probably from a Federal siren remote control head.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like a large hole for a Cencom control head. I'd figure out a way to stuff a GPS in that hole.

Back