Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Police Interceptor

What about the Amsoil product as an alternative to the OEM filter? How's this product rated by end users?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about the Amsoil product as an alternative to the OEM filter? How's this product rated by end users?

With modern intakes and filters, there really isnt a quantifiable improvement in performance or reduction in temps by replacing the system or element. K&N filters have been known to ruin IAT and MAF sensors, especially after cleaning and over-oiling. Sometimes the increase in air will bring a decrease in fuel economy due to the computer not knowing what the hell to do.

Plus if you ever go in for service and they "inspect" the car and find an aftermarket filter in the box, you could be hosed on warranty issues down the road, given the "right" tech and dealership.

Well I think that for now I sticking with the OEM filter, on another note I have one free oil change left, and I'm wondering if I should go the "synthetic" route for the oil? With the oil life indicator, it seems that the times are longer between oil changes.

I'm not sure if the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM) actually knows or checks the condition of the oil itself. The IOLM uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. It determines engine oil life based on actual driving conditions.

Peter

Well I think that for now I sticking with the OEM filter, on another note I have one free oil change left, and I'm wondering if I should go the "synthetic" route for the oil? With the oil life indicator, it seems that the times are longer between oil changes.

In a previous older thread one of the members here posted a PDF document which gave a very good comparison of the current oil filters available. OEM was clearly the better product.Not sure if Peter can pop that document in this newer thread or not but its a good read.

Sgt1411, not sure if this is the one you are referring to;

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ww.bullittarchive.com/5000/5...arison_Kit.pdf

Peter

Thank You Peter that is the one I was referring too. Very helpful cutting through all the marketing BS and seeing the actual construction of each filter.

One thing I have learned from the Ford Police Program, very few aftermarket suppliers will over engineer to the same level as Ford does.

I use OEM all the time now.

What about the air filter? are we drawing the same conclusions?

Thank You Peter that is the one I was referring too. Very helpful cutting through all the marketing BS and seeing the actual construction of each filter.

One thing I have learned from the Ford Police Program, very few aftermarket suppliers will over engineer to the same level as Ford does.

I use OEM all the time now.

That document is pretty impressive. Good to know that Ford does overengineer some things. (I could give you a couple of examples of where they didn't/don't always :D )

Even so, I typically also stick with Ford parts. Thanks for sharing.

So I'm just going to "throw this out there" just wondering if anyone has set up the rear white lights on the lift gate? and if they can be configured with the AUX switches on the steering wheel?, I've got a few "feelers" out but maybe someone here has already done it? Cheers

So I'm just going to "throw this out there" just wondering if anyone has set up the rear white lights on the lift gate? and if they can be configured with the AUX switches on the steering wheel?, I've got a few "feelers" out but maybe someone here has already done it? Cheers

What rear white lights are you talking about on the tailgate?

They are the ones located either side of the 3rd light at the top of the glass.

Ah the factory Whelen ION LEDs in the rear window. More than likely red/blue unless they have been replaced or special ordered. Yes those can be hooked to the AUX 1/2/3/4 switches in the steering wheel. Its simple wiring. Those switches send ground outputs, only when the vehicle key is turned on though. Hook them up via a relay.

Sounds promising , however I'm going to need more of a "hands on" tutorial. :)

So would this be something as simple as "plugging" them in? or do I need to access the computer? Any idea where to start?

Thanks, where do I look power up the rear lights?,

Thanks, where do I look for the rear lights? .

What do you mean I thought you had them? Isn't that why your asking about powering them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya, I just looked through all those bulletins, WOW, I don't think I know enough to power them up on my own? I'm wondering do they just "plug" into something??

Is the "brain" built in or do you need the console for the "wig-wag" functions etc?

I'm guessing you need to use the "computer" to program the AUX switch?
I'm kinda lost here, LOL

Back