Explorer Gas Mileage - including Ecoboost | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Update

Finished our 5 hr drive. Last half was largely with the cruise set to 76-78 on the interstate. A little slower local driving as well. Final mpg for the trip: 22.9.

Regularly exceeds my expectations-even while towing my boat. Yes, I do love this vehicle!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Terrible Gas Mileage 2013 Explorer Sport

Hi All. Does anyone else get horrible gas mileage with their Explorer Sport? I have a 2013 explorer sport that I bought in Colorado a little over a year ago to replace my '03 V8 4Runner. I had hoped that I'd at least match the 4Runner's gas mileage, which was about 17mpg, but I am no where near close! I currently average 14.0-14.4 with the same type of driving! Is anyone else having this issue? I've used the vehicle in both Colorado and California and get the same results whether it is at sea level or a mile high. The sticker says I should be getting closer to 16mpg....I feel robbed! :eek::(
Thanks

Hi All. Does anyone else get horrible gas mileage with their Explorer Sport? I have a 2013 explorer sport that I bought in Colorado a little over a year ago to replace my '03 V8 4Runner. I had hoped that I'd at least match the 4Runner's gas mileage, which was about 17mpg, but I am no where near close! I currently average 14.0-14.4 with the same type of driving! Is anyone else having this issue? I've used the vehicle in both Colorado and California and get the same results whether it is at sea level or a mile high. The sticker says I should be getting closer to 16mpg....I feel robbed! :eek::(
Thanks

What octane fuel do you run in it?

If you have a heavy foot these SPORTS are thirsty. LOL

Hi MustangShow, thanks for your reply. Yes, I forgot to list that.....I always buy the 91 octane. Expensive out here in California but I don't want to cause any problems down the road so I spend the $

Pure local super short trips driving, I get about 14.5-15.5. Pure highway in the relatively flat Midwest at about 72 mph and I average about 22-23mpg. A. Or al mix of driving nets me about 17. I think it's great given the horsepower and the fact it can tow my boat very well. Our 2011 honda pilot with. 250 up did about the same...maybe slightly worse when towing. I'm very satisfied with my mileage.

I've ran about 6 tanks of fuel through my Ex Sport so far. My average for each tank has been 18.5-19.5MPG.

With my wife driving 19.5 to 20 mixed on a '15 with less than 1500K. Pretty happy with those numbers. You may want to ask someone more knowledgable when me, but perhaps a battery pull (and wait 10 mins) to reset the learning curves.

Excel tells me that after traveling 6427.8 miles in the 3 months of ownership, and consuming 336.2 US gallons of fuel, my lifetime average has been 19.12 mpg. The cars tripometer (which has never been reset other than at purchase) reports 20.2 mpg.

Slightly related note: I mentioned it in my intro post, but this car has a horribly small fuel tank for an SUV. The 18.5 gallons it holds is literally the same size as my midsized sedan. That car obviously gets better mileage, giving it a range of 630 miles, this car gets 400 miles to empty on an ideal day. Ford should have put a bigger tank in.

14.0 - 14.4 mpg is about what we get in our 2013 Sport. We are at sea level and I put regular gas in it. My car, however, only gets 13 mpg running premium 94 so the Explorer is still our "fuel efficient" car.

Whenever I wish I would have gotten the Sport instead of my Limited these threads make me happy. I was getting better gas mileage in a 400+hp Camaro!

sportfish, I have merged your thread with this existing one.
I'm running on my first tank of 91 octane gasoline and with roughly 60/40 town/highway driving I'm getting just over 22 miles per imperial gallon which I believe works out to about 18 mpg per U.S. gallon.

Peter

Whenever I wish I would have gotten the Sport instead of my Limited these threads make me happy. I was getting better gas mileage in a 400+hp Camaro!

Except nobody is cross shopping the Camaro and the Explorer Sport. :rolleyes:

The difference between the 24 mpg highway V6 Ltd and the 22 mpg Sport works out to $132 more in gas costs per 10,000 miles (at $3.50/gal). So it all depends on what you want to with your vehicle.

OP - how do you drive your vehicle? I've had several fill ups in the 21-23 mpg range, but my wife and I also enjoy "spirited driving" ;) and the remote start. Of course, this drops the fuel economy. If you're driving around town with lots of stop and go, and like to jack-rabbit start then 14 mpg is about to be expected. If you can't achieve high teens while doing 55 on an entire tank on the highway, its time to talk with the dealer.

Except nobody is cross shopping the Camaro and the Explorer Sport. :rolleyes:

Ummm...I did. I wanted out of the Camaro but still wanted something sporty, fun yet got reasonable gas mileage (which to me equals a combined MPG above 20). So there was at least ONE person that did. :cool:

The difference between the 24 mpg highway V6 Ltd and the 22 mpg Sport works out to $132 more in gas costs per 10,000 miles (at $3.50/gal). So it all depends on what you want to with your vehicle.

OP - how do you drive your vehicle? I've had several fill ups in the 21-23 mpg range, but my wife and I also enjoy "spirited driving" ;) and the remote start. Of course, this drops the fuel economy. If you're driving around town with lots of stop and go, and like to jack-rabbit start then 14 mpg is about to be expected. If you can't achieve high teens while doing 55 on an entire tank on the highway, its time to talk with the dealer.

Excel tells me that after traveling 6427.8 miles in the 3 months of ownership, and consuming 336.2 US gallons of fuel, my lifetime average has been 19.12 mpg. The cars tripometer (which has never been reset other than at purchase) reports 20.2 mpg.

Slightly related note: I mentioned it in my intro post, but this car has a horribly small fuel tank for an SUV. The 18.5 gallons it holds is literally the same size as my midsized sedan. That car obviously gets better mileage, giving it a range of 630 miles, this car gets 400 miles to empty on an ideal day. Ford should have put a bigger tank in.

Remember your Explorer is basically a Sedan, it's a Ford Taurus underneath.

I've had the 2012 limited ecoboost for about 2 months now with 1700 miles. I'm getting an average of 16-17mpg city and around 24 highway. This is driving VERY conservative. I know this doesn't seem like much, but we're talking a 20% decrease from the sticker MPG. I've owned a few new Ford vehicles in the past and never had any issues getting the fuel economy on the sticker (if not better). Anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas?

I average 18 city and 24 highway. Unless I'm pulling my 6x12 enclosed trailer which comes in at about 3000 lbs loaded. Then I average 10 highway at 70-75 MPH in the East Tennessee hills. Long trips suck with the trailer since I have to refuel so often. Normal driving is loaded with about 4-5 hundred pounds of tools and supplies, it's a great vehicle but I do believe the 5K towing rating is ambitious. I also have a very heavy right foot. I spend a lot of time in manual mode as well.:D

After my last fill my display read 523 km to empty. I have about 1600 kms on the vehicle and this was my 2nd fill using Petro Canada 91 octane. The previous fill showed 545 to empty. Even using the 87 gasoline I was getting around the same reading. My driving is a mix of town and highway driving with many short trips of 5 to 10 minutes.

Peter

I guess you could say 'easy and relaxed' if that describes normal "off the mark" starts. Any highway driving on a 100 kmph posted road does not normally exceed the 110 kmph. I'm usually always a little over the limit but no hard and fast starts. I know I haven't come close to testing the maximum ability of the Ecoboost engine but do certainly notice the difference compared to the regular V6 I had in the 2011 Limited.

Peter

Hi All,

We just returned from Disney, we left Sunday the 16th. The gas mileage averaged 19.9 from Arizona to California, a variable was those Santa Ana winds....they were crazy. No visibility and dodging semis was crazy. The worst was the traffic, oh my!

On our return yesterday, I was averaging 22.5 (same route) no wind. Also the return home, the explorer was packed solid. On the way home I had set cruise control between 80-85. Only hitting buckeye did we slow down slower than the posted limit.

I'm still impressed with the gas mileage, handling and entire appearance. My father in law is trading his 2002 in for a new one. But that's due to his average mpg was 10. Eek!

Hope everyone is doing well.

I am currently using PetroCanada 91 octane. It's the only gas I use since Sunoco took over and had to rebrand some of their stations. I'm guessing my driving is probably 60/40 city/hwy. After my last fill the display read 509km to Empty on an average of 13.6L/100 km. I have also noticed very little difference between mileage figures when comparing 87 to 91 octane. The recommended fuel for the Ecoboost according to the Owner's Guide is 87 octane. Using premium is recommended for towing or to get top performance.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm at nearly 80000km, have not reset the trip gauge in the last 40000km
20% hwy 80% city 14 ltr per 100 km, not to bad as I do not baby it.

Brian

Back