1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Explorer ring & pinion question.

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by t.r.c, July 31, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. t.r.c

t.r.c New Member

Hello, i've been doing some research and cant find the answers i'm looking for. I have a 98 explorer sport, and i found a great deal on some 4.10 gears out of a 2001 ranger, but i know the ranger 8.8's are only 28 spline, so my question is, will they work in my explorer? Thanks for any help, and a speedy response would be greatly appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. PopRichie77

PopRichie77 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Quakertown, PA
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
      If you don't get an answer, pull an axle and count the number of splines, then you are sure.

4. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      Year and Model:
      1998 Ford Explorer
      It wont work - the axle shafts wont slide into the carrier and w/o the axle shafts, your vehicle isn't going anywhere. You can swap the entire axle but I think that requires some fabrication because of the difference in spring location (mounting width and SOA vs SUA).

5. Albino 94LTD

Albino 94LTD Recovering from Moab 2016 Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Newcastle Wa
      Year and Model:
      White 94 Limited
      Callsign:
      KG7PKQ
      Why can't he just swap the ring and pinion onto the carrier in the axel in his truck?

I can't think of a reason.

For that matter, he could swap everything except the housing.

6. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      Year and Model:
      1998 Ford Explorer
      Youre correct - you can use the ring and pinion. I was talking about the carrier - which the original poster didn't even mention - doh!