EXPLORER RUN!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EXPLORER RUN!!

R

Rick

Here is the jist of the first Explorer Run of the year.

Jack Lobdell agreed to lead an all Explorer run at Arch Canyon/Moab, Utah. April 16-19 1999.

There will be runs available for all 4x4 Explorers from stock to wild.

Apr 16, Arrive Blanding, Utah
Apr 17, Arch Canyon (Big Dogs)
Apr 18, Somewhere else local or Moab
Apr 19, Split for the ends of the earth

For info and picture of the area check out this website: Dead Link Removed
How many takers out there?

Let us know if you're interested by posting a reply here.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
explorer@4x4central.com
Editor
www.4x4central.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer Run which Paul Bredehoft and Kevin Kocher are planning will be held the weekend of August 14th at the Los Coyotes Indian Reservation in Southern California.

Additional details and a sign up form will be available in 2-3 weeks.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
explorer@4x4central.com
Editor
www.4x4central.com

This just sucks!!!! I missed both of these Explorer runs, My truck is slated to be in the shop durring the April run and now that it has been dicided to have the Augest run on the weekend of the 14 rather than the 21 I'll be stuck in Minnesota at a wedding. It's hard to skip out of a wedding your supposed to be in! Thats really to bad being a Southern Cali resident. If there are any plans to do any other rides other than these times please drop me a line!

ME TOO!!! I can't make the Easter and I am gonna miss the Aug. one cause of a wedding too. normally I'd be able to miss it but this time it's MY wedding. I don't think my soon to be wife would like that. Hey you guys are cool and all but I gotta live w/ her! Dead Link Removed

------------------
HIX

Can we have a run closer the the central US some time. I live in Ohio and to drive to Ca. will take like 3 days. I would not mind a day or two, but three to get thier and three back is a bit much for me. Rick, I thought you lived around pheonix, don't you guys have good trails all over the state? Maybe up by the Canyon would be good? Just some Idea's. Also around the Ozarks would be good if they have some trails. I thought I have seen some pictures of guys from here that were taken in the Ozarks. These are just some Ideas for us Eastern folks who can't make it to the other side of the country.
ChrisW

sorry guys, i can't make the spring run either. I'm stuck in school (fininshing my MSc) until May!

Cheers

Dale

I put much of this information up just before Rick accidentally deleted the thread. Hey, Rick, it was only a thread and not your transmission again. No big deal…..this is still the coolest site on the web!

I really want to go on the August run in California run also…it will be grand, but Paul and Kev, I’m going crazy now and need to get out on a really good run soon. If I wait until August, you will find me in The Nice Quiet Home for the Perpetually Aroused, cutting paper dolls or my wrists. So I’ll lead a SE Utah run in a few weeks

Arch Canyon and Hotel Rock are considered some of the best wheeling in the world, and in the opinion of many Moab’ers, have much more to offer.

Hotel Rock has some great vistas, about a 3+ trail with a couple of hard obstacles. Arch Canyon is considered one of the most beautiful in the southwest and the trail is a 2 to 2+, crisscrossing a wash. Both trails have superb scenery with red and white Navajo and Cocoñino sandstone "slickrock" with gnarled piñon and juniper trees. The experience of these canyon country trials is heightened by magnificent Anasazi cliff dwelling Indian ruins. These are not just trails to have fun on. There is a coveted destination on each trail, a place to savor the end of the trail.

If you are coming from the east, you can enter and exit the Blanding, Utah area by way of the San Juan Mountains (scenic), Durango with its narrow gauge steam train (ride it to Silverton), Mesa Verde National Park (huge cliff dwellings), and Hovenweep National Monument (ancient towers).

If you are coming from the west, you can enter and exit the Blanding, Utah area by way of Capitol Reef National Park (do some wheeling and cliff hiking), Glen Canyon National Rec Area (fish for big striper bass and cats, take a houseboat ride), Hole in the Rock Trail (fine wheeling), and Natural Bridges National Park (wait until you see these Golden Arches).

If you are coming from the south, you can enter and exit the Blanding, Utah area by way of Monument Valley (huge monoliths of red sandstone, home of many western movies) and the Goosenecks of the San Juan (bends of this deep canyon almost turn back to touch each other). The views are spectacular.

If you are coming from the north, you can enter and exit the Blanding, Utah area by way of Moab and do some trails there. There is also several entries to Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, the incredible Newspaper Rock (finest petroglyph panel in the U.S.).

An amazing grasp of the obvious: Bring your camera!!! This can be a true hegira (trip of learning).

April 16th – Arrive Blanding, Utah. Blanding is a nice bitsy town. There are two full-service groceries, several motels, some nice B&Bs, a couple of mechanics shops, several gas stations, and a couple of edible restaurants. What it is NOT is trendy like Moab…no T-shirt shops, spandex mtn. Bikers, outlet stores, $100 gourmet meals that are high-quality-but-low-quantity, etc. I got a local latté in Blanding once…tasted just like mud (I don’t know why, it was fresh GROUND…yuck, yuck). Blanding and the entire county are DRY…no booze is sold anywhere…so purchase what you want before you come to town. But Blanding has its own charm. Quiet neighborhoods, great vistas, nice folks. There is pound for pound one of the finest little museums in the country …Edge of the Cedars, with a restored Anasazi village on a cliff top and superb displays. Blanding, Monticello, and Bluff, Utah are some of the best kept secrets in America.

The weather in April is the best….cold nights and warm days. (I hiked Grand Gulch a few years back in mid-April and it got down to 19°….brrrr.) Normally it gets to freezing at night and goes up into the low 70°s during the day. If you are camping near the trailhead in Comb Wash keep night time temps in mind. Bring some bug dope for the piñon gnats…these little no-see-ums can be vicious, but they are only common in very wet years and not usually until May. It’s nice in Comb Wash….we may just "campfire" there one night.

The trailhead is only about 25 minutes from Blanding. I will probably stay at the Prospector Inn…..older but remodeled, clean, cheap, comfy-cozy, big corner room available with enough beds for a large family and cooking facilities if you are bringing everybody, near a good restaurant, fuel across the street, etc. (I might also be in a M’home at Comb Wash…I’m now a dealer (W’bagos/Itascas). You want a M’home? Our new motto is "We rip off the OTHER guy and pass the savings on to YOU…!)

OK, the trail runs and some basics: This is BLM land and we have permission and the very best wishes of Kent Walters, BLM area director. We will register at each trailhead every day. We MUST "Tread Lightly" and keep vehicles on the trails at all times. We can enjoy the archaeological ruins, but not touch or take anything except pictures….these are VERY fragile and, of course, no more are being manufactured. The trails are on USGS Hotel Rock Quad (7.5 series) although the upper part of Arch Canyon extends a little bit into USGS South Point Quad (7.5 series). Always encouraged is common sense. First Aid kit, good sunblock and a hat (we are at altitude with crystal blue skies), plenty of water, a little back up food, should be equipe de jour.

April 17th -- Hotel Rock is the gnarly trail with one ledge section and a couple of steep climbs. Stockers may want to go to hotel rock the back way on some easier dirt roads. The rest of you MUST have tow hooks as there may be some winching involved at these climbs. We will operate on CB Channel 4, and there will be hand-held radios for scouting and guiding around obstacles. One of the "big dogs" with winch and lockers (probably me - "Iceberg") will be "Squadron Leader" and a similar rig (probably "ARRGGHH!") will serve as "Tail Gunner" to make sure everybody gets over these obstacles. Of course, we will also have GPS to assure that we can really get lost! The end of the trail is Hotel Rock itself, a magnificent beehive shape rock pocked with cliff dwellings. Here’s a special treat: Famous archaeologist Winston Hurst will ride with me to give us a grand educated tour and talk about the ancient Anasazi. We will exit either on the easy route, or if we had goobers of fun, just turn around and do it all over again backwards! The descent has breathtaking views of Comb Ridge.

April 18th -- Arch Canyon is nice trail, requiring 4WD but little else. There are some little steps, but no hard climbs or shelf roads. The trail does crisscross the Arch Canyon Wash. Depending on recent snow or rain, we may have to adjust accordingly, but it has been a very dry year.. It is long but not particularly slow, so we may get to the arch without difficulty. The canyon is filled with cliff dwellings.

April 19th – depart for home, hopefully stoked, charged, and restored. If you miss this run, you miss some great wheeling, spectacular canyonland scenery, and the mystery of the Ancient Ones. Hope to see you there. Please RSVP…I need to keep the BLM updated as to our numbers.

As we get closer to the time of the run, I’ll put more details up on this thread. ARRGGHH!!! with his "magic fingers" promises to "Tread Lightly" on this discussion from now on…..

This is your brain Dead Link Removed ...this is your brain off-road Dead Link Removed ...any questions? jlobdell@flash.net

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 03-11-99).]

Sounds like a great weekend! I hope that I can work it out with my work schedule. I hope to know by the end of the week. I also have to get my transmission sorted out.

P.S. Stop making fun of Rick for deleting the thread, he does a pretty good job typing with mittens on Dead Link Removed and makes a good Charlie Brown impression. Dead Link Removed

Ok I also would love to go on both runs but they are a bit far from me. I do think we should get as many runs as possible but I think we need some over on the east coast. I hear there is a good place in pennsylvania. I plan on checking it out soon. I also think we should let some magizines know because I am sick of reading about Jeep runs.
Keith

Let's see, get married or go on a canyon country run with the Wild Bunch in Explorers.... Is this a trick question? What kind of beer again? Could I get back to you on this one? :O

Thanks for the heads up. I will plan on attending, but must first clear the dates with my boss. Should a neophite attempt the Hotel Rock? I am equiped with a '94 lifted 2.5 inches and running 32's, stock gears, no lockers, no limited slip.

Well guys, the wife won't let me out on the wedding weekend! Damn it!! I know it will be a good time! I hope Rick will get the photos on-line asap after the two runs. I have to live the adventure thru you all, ya know!!

Keith.... I will be hitting Paragon off-raod Park from the 23rd to the 26th of April w/ some buddies. You should come w/ us!! There is some hope for us westerers suck out East too!! It won't be an Explorer Run but it'll be damn good fun!!

Rick...I am planning on sending you Pics of a 2" body lift and 2" suspension lift for us poor kids w/in the next 2-3 weeks. I hope you will include them in your site.

Thanks guys

------------------
HIX

This will be a great test for the new front end LockRight and PA 3" lift. Anyone willing to caravan from Phx/Flag area. Maybe a stop at Lee's Ferry for a trip upriver flyfishing on the way??? How far from SLC is this??

No such thing as a dumb question...but that's got to be the dumbest question I've ever heard! No really, I haven't decided. I'm probably even going up a day early just to explore around. I love that country and may lollygag on my way up, but it's only 5-6 hours from here. Even thinking of stopping in Red Lake and asking a Navajo guide (Roger Stash) to come along and tell us some Dene "skinwalker" (Spirits who carry around peoples faces without any bones) stories just to scare the peewaddlin' out of everybody.

Sit around in a beerless town an extra night? Do I need some counseling?

Trace: You probably got the clearance, its the traction if we get twisted that might get you on one obstacle, but that's just a maybe...the magic word is Tow Hook! If this is really gnarly, Rick and I will crest the steepies and both tug at you. I think it will work...Rick, waddayathink???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5-6 hours? Must be nice! You gonna go home to sleep each night? Dead Link Removed I am looking at at least 18 hours. I will be coming down I-15 and probably cut over at Hwy 6 so if anyone wants to hook up along the way let me know.

Here is the route I will take. Dead Link Removed
I think I will leave on the morning of the 14th, that way I have time to do some sightseeing along the way.

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 03-14-99).]

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 03-14-99).]

Back