EXPLORER RUN!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EXPLORER RUN!!

Paul, wise move on getting the ARBs. The road manners are much nicer and you are locked only when you want to be. I know it is much more expensive than a Lock-right or a limited slip, but worth it. I enjoy both my ARBs in the Explorer...my Jeep CJ-5 has two Lock-Rights...and a turning radius of 968' because of it (for low-range switchbacks, I have to disengage the front hubs and should really get the Currie dual-shifter...what a pain!!!).

One other thing on the ARB. Many people find that the ARB "new series" air pump will "cycle" as the pump itself leaks it's own air (actually I think it depressurizes itself on purpose). Many folks, including me, went on wild goose chases looking for leaks in our lines and axle entries and pump exits trying to find non-existant leaks. What we ended up doing after finding no leaks was to install a "kill switch" to turn off the pump when it was not needed to charge the lockers.

I put a toggle or "duckbill" switch, the waterproof variety, just for heavy duty in the door panel right near my ARB locker switches. It is now off unless I need it. I even ended up having my dealer put a new pump in just to try it...it was even worse. It cycled everytime you turned on the engine and about every hour while driving. We did the swithc to prevent premature wear on the pump.

The toggle switch worked and with the switches in the door ahead of the power window and lock switches, it is out of reach unless I want it and looks OEM.

You might go ahead with your install and see how your pump does. If it works like everybody else's, it WILL leak and begin to constantly cycle. I have a left-over waterproof switch that I can bring to the run for you if you want it. Just holler if you do.

See you in Blanding!!!

[This message has been edited by j (edited 03-29-99).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hand is still raised. Just finished the PA 3"(after 2 weeks) and custom hitch, This weekend is the front lockright. Hopefully it will go a bit better. The body lift opened up some holes for a pair of tow hooks bolted to the frame that look good. I will bring a pair of 40ch handhelds that I will be using with my crew chief and #1 son when we explore. I can lend them out if needed. Leaving PHX 4/16 way early and caffeen enriched..

ATTENTION ALL SPRING RUN FOLKS!!! I will be out of pocket for several days in CA and will probably not be back checking this site until about April 8th. I will periodically check e-mail from a handheld, so if you have any pressing questions, I can respond, but probably not too quickly. My e-mail is jlobdell@flash.net Rick (actually the co-leader of the run) has lots of info on the area and can probably help you if I can't answer right away.

Just talked to a couple of guys in my local club who did the nearby San Rafael Swell (UT). Third year in a row and they say they still haven't seen it all. Good weather and good trip. Let's hope the same for ours!!!

Jack - Thanks for the additional info on the ARB, and yes, bring your extra waterproof switch. We'll settle up costs once in Blanding...Although not planned on the itinerary, I think the Run will be a great forum for how-to's and lessons learned on our build-ups.

Packed the switch for you...no charge, I'm happy to get it out of "the drawer of electrical junk I'll never use someday..."

I understand that the latest batch of ARB new series pumps are being shipped with a pump kill switch, but these are only now reaching the shelves.

I should recieve my compressor today or tomorrow. Maybe it will have this switch.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Dead Link Removed

MEETING PLACES IN BLANDING FOR THE RUN!!!

The evening of Friday the 16th of April, Rick and I will plan to be at the Old Tymer's Restaurant at 7p.m.

The next morning, the 17th will be the day of the Hotel Rock run. We will meet at the Prospector Inn at 9 a.m. and plan to leave shortly thereafter.

I flew right over the area on my way back from California and it got clobbered from the last snow storm. But the temps are in the 70's and there is wind so it should all melt off and dry up in just a few days. The long term weather looks good also.

Hope to see you there. Please confirm that you are coming. Trace has already confirmed. I will be calling BLM one more time at the beginning of next week.

[This message has been edited by j (edited 04-07-99).]

Well today the "God of Damn" just rammed a stick into my spokes. Dead Link Removed I am trying hard to get all my wheels back on the ground in time for this run, but I keep hitting my head against the wall. Maybe it will feel better once I stop! Dead Link Removed I don't have much of a wallet left now, just a small piece of torn leather.

I just found out from the gear shop that the case for my front diff is cracked. Dead Link Removed I hope to have the truck back tomorrow. I also still have to sort out my transmission.

I am planning on leaving early Wednesday morning and arriving Thursday afternoon. At the latest I would leave a day later and arrive on Friday.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Dead Link Removed

hey paul e-mail me with the solution to your cracked diff situation. where is the crack? mine is cracked at the big square block where the large mounting bolt holds it to the traction beam. let me know the outcome. e-mail me at dodgerr@hotmail.com thanx for the help, ill be scrambling to finish my truck for the sept run in NC also so good luck.

That is where my crack is. They are going to try and weld it up, their welder said it looks do-able. I will let you know how it turns out.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Dead Link Removed

Still confirmed and ready to go. Plan on heading out from Tacoma on the early morning of the 14th and should hit Blanding early afternoon of the 16th (plan on hitting a trail or two in Moab enroute). Have a final few projects for the Sport this week-end then I'll really be ready. Anyone southbound want to link up on the way let me know. See you in a week...

Did I hear someone say they were from Alberta? Dang, if I had known about the April run a month ago, I'd be down there with ya. But, just found out today!

Anyway, will definately make some plans for the CA run in August!

-B

I count 5 of us who will be heading to Arch Canyon. 2 - Pauls, Jack, AZExplorer and myself.

I've been checking the weather and the day time highs have been in the mid-60's. It's those low temps in the 30's that will freeze you buns off. Well at least for those of us coming from AZ and NM Dead Link Removed

------------------
Rick Horwitz
explorer@4x4central.com
Editor
www.4x4central.com

Well that sounds just like the weather in Calgary. I may have to re-think this trip, I can have those temperatures(highs and lows) right here at home. Dead Link Removed But seriously, I will probably have to leave Wednesday afternoon but should still make it there by Thursday.

Only 5? What happened to Trace and JR?

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Dead Link Removed

kinda slow out there. Everyone still going to go play in the SNOW up there? A treat for a desert rat from Phx and 5yr old copilot/navagator. I have not been out in a while, any recomendations for a trail inventory? I may miss some obvious but what I have collected so far; tug strap (even without Chevys to help out), 10'chain, shovel, assorted tools/nuts/bolts, fire ext, bucket, CB,GPS programed with trail wypts, blankets, emerg food/water, camera, video cam,???

It looks like 7. I will tell BLM "about 8" vehicles tomorrow. With the Jeepers bringing 70 the following week, i'm sure we can squeeze in some more

There is wet weather passing through right now, but should reach the low 70s in the canyons by the time of the run and stay mostly clear.

Everybody drive safe and sound and let's go 'wheel some of the very best canyon country in the world!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer's good at river crossings but I don't think it'll manage the pacific. Have a great trip. Looks like a lovely place. Just an aussie explorer looking in.
Thanks for the great info in this bulletin board.
Paul Golby

Back