How to: - Explorer Sport EB convert to vent to atmosphere with factory blow off valves | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer Sport EB convert to vent to atmosphere with factory blow off valves

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

EcoPowerParts

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Flex Ecoboost
What does this mod do for you?
Nothing but making a PFFFFT noise when you lift the throttle under boost.
Is there any downsides to this?
No, the car is speed desnsity so releasing the air from the turbos to atmosphere when the blow off valves open does not negatively impact the tune, factory or modified.

BTW, I couldn't find 1" vacuum "nipples" to block off the factory tubing so I went to Home Depot and searched around, found some 1" rubber chair leg "tips" to use, worked pretty good so far.

Front Blow off Valve and blocked off tube

2013-05-08+11.28.15.jpg

Another shot of the factory Blow off Valve with the return tube removed - vent to atmosphere
2013-05-08+11.28.20.jpg

Close up of rear portion of intake tubing with blow off valve return hose removed and blocked off. For me easiest way to get to this area and remove tubing was to remove the intake tubing and rotate to access the clamp that held the tubing onto the blow off valve.
2013-05-08+11.28.43.jpg

Rear Blow off Valve
2013-05-08+11.29.18.jpg

Complete turbo to intercooler pipe with Blow off Valves circled
2013-05-08+11.31.32.jpg

EDIT: Found some rubber caps to use instead of rubber chair leg bottoms
http://www.mcmaster.com/#92805K28

Updated pictures with the new caps on from mcmaster - didn't know they were going to be red :(

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1uj_Xlh4U

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did this mod on mine, love it. Wife kind of hates it though...

I just ordered the caps from McMaster-Carr .. thanks for the clear pics!

Instead of just opening them all the way, I was thinking of installing a T in the hose with a small air filter on it. Would definitely be louder than stock, but not as loud as wide open.

This mod is strictly a 'sound' mod and not a 'performance' mod, correct???

This mod is strictly a 'sound' mod and not a 'performance' mod, correct???

Correct, there will be no increase or decrease in performance.. the recirc is just to go with Ford's goal to make everything as quiet as possible

Instead of just opening them all the way, I was thinking of installing a T in the hose with a small air filter on it. Would definitely be louder than stock, but not as loud as wide open.

if there is vacuum from the inlet I'm not sure you would hear a difference, you would just be sucking in air from the outside along w/ the recirculating air from the BOV, none would exit the filter

Thanks for the tutorial

Thanks, nice pics. I suppose if you still wanted it louder you could install a blow off valve whisle tip to the open ends of the blow off valve. My wife would kill me. Can you post a link to the sound in/out of the EX?

if there is vacuum from the inlet I'm not sure you would hear a difference, you would just be sucking in air from the outside along w/ the recirculating air from the BOV, none would exit the filter

You will definitely hear a huge difference. When the BOV opens there is quite a bit of pressure there, so you will hear this out of the air filters. i'm definitely doing this, so I'll do a video. And with my version, you could easily take off the air filters and put caps on them if you want to switch back and forth.

You will definitely hear a huge difference. When the BOV opens there is quite a bit of pressure there, so you will hear this out of the air filters. i'm definitely doing this, so I'll do a video. And with my version, you could easily take off the air filters and put caps on them if you want to switch back and forth.

I really like the idea of things that are easily reversible so that if you want it quiet you can tone it down. Either way you do this mod its easily reversible so if you don't like it just put the factory tubes back on!

I really like the idea of things that are easily reversible so that if you want it quiet you can tone it down. Either way you do this mod its easily reversible so if you don't like it just put the factory tubes back on!

The main reason I'm not pulling off the hose completely is I want to see if I can get a muted version of it.

It's pretty muted fully opened up. I can only hear it with the windows down and the radio off. Then I can hear it pretty good, but otherwise it's pretty hard to hear.

It's pretty muted fully opened up. I can only hear it with the windows down and the radio off. Then I can hear it pretty good, but otherwise it's pretty hard to hear.

That changes quite a bit if you have a tune though. I can hear mine and they are still stock. :)

They get quite loud once you have tons of boost, I'm at ~23lbs now and they get screamy but I like it :)

bone stock and this mod is a lot louder than I expected. I love it!

I just did mine the other day and like others I love the sound. The one thing that I didnt different to make it eaiser was found some plugs to plug the hose vs totally removing it. The only reason I did this was in the event I needed to put them back on all I have to do is remove the plugs and reattach the hose. This only takes about 2 mins to complete. The main deciding factor was being lazy and didnt want to remove the rear hose as it was gonna be a pia to get to. With the plugs I didnt have to remove or rotate anything to complete. Different way of doing it but achieved the same effect. BTW I purchased the plugs at LOWES in the plumbing department, they were just over a $1.00 or both.

I meant to post this sooner; but didn't get around to it.

Since no one else with the Explorer posted a video, I wanted to share what this sounds like. I know it's a short & terrible video, but you get the idea. This is completely stock, just have the hoses removed... Driver-side window is down:

I am curious, for the people that have done this and left it for a good length of time have you had any issues; throwing a code or any hiccup because of vacuum???

I would like to do this. I know in the past with my previous turbo cars an eclipse, and legacy gt, the computer didn't like a full vent to atmosphere.

Thanks in advance

I am curious, for the people that have done this and left it for a good length of time have you had any issues; throwing a code or any hiccup because of vacuum???

I would like to do this. I know in the past with my previous turbo cars an eclipse, and legacy gt, the computer didn't like a full vent to atmosphere.

Thanks in advance

I've had this done for a good month or two.. No codes, no issues... the car uses a MAP so it's detecting the pressure at the manifold rather than from the intake itself. Since the pressure is being measured after the point where the recirculation happens there are no issues w/ this mod. As long as you seal off the intake side of the connection there are no issues w/ loss of suction or vacuum either.

The Eclipse used a MAF and was measuring the air entering the intake near the filter, this is why you had issues w/ it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back