Solved - Explorer Towing Capacities | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Explorer Towing Capacities

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
This is your max towing capacity. Meaning all cargo, passengers and weight of trailer and contents included. Don't think you can load up with stuff in the truck and still tow this amount of weight on a trailer!

Attachments

• Capacities 1997.jpg
    Capacities 1997.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 33,820

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seattle Tow

Thanks for the info SCHOE2! Luckily the Acura has a manual transmission. I also went to Ford the other day and said it shoud be OK to do. Thanks again and wish me luck!!:salute:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer with a Class II hitch and receiver.
I'm having trouble understanding my manual to figure what rear axle ratio I have. It states 4.0L SOHC/4.6L has a 3.55 ratio. Then on the next line it has 4.0L SOHC has a 3.73 LS ratio. I know I have a 4.0 but, how can I decifer if it's 3.55's or 3.73's. There's a 3500lb capacity sticker on the tongue. Is that all that tongue and receiver can handle. Can I install another tow package that can handle more weight? I am wanting to purchase a boat and it and the trailer weight loaded will be around 5200 lbs. Will my truck handle this?

Thanks,

Look at the sticker on your door jam for the axle code. This will tell you the axle ratio you have. There are charts on the forum. 5,200 is a lot of weight for the v6 trans. If you do it you'll need a class III receiver, and the largest trans cooler you can. I'd also consider a temp gauge for the trans.

Mbrooks420, according to the sticker I have AXLE 45 and a GVWR: 5700lbs. According to the chart on this site. That gives me 410's. Also according to Mountainergreen's chart my capacity is 5800lbs. There seems to be a cooler installed already. Should I replace it with a larger one or add another cooler to it. Also, I just had my trans rebuilt with new solenoid packs, clutches and a new converter.
I live 8 to 10 miles from my local boat launch. But, would also like to tow it to other launches. Do you think I should subject this truck to this. Or look at buying a truck that would be better suited for towing this weight?

newbie owner and towing

Hi all, I just became the owner of a 91 explorer xl, v6,2wd, with 30k original miles. It was my sister's who bought it new and hardly drove it . It has the bad paint job that was recalled, but she never got it fixed.

The reason I found your site is that my son is driving the car straight thru from New Orleans to Salem Oregon, towing a trailer. West of San Antonio he noticed smoke and fluid from under the hood. Turns out it was AT fluid getting on the exhaust. He checked into a local repair shop that said just to keep checking the tran fluid at each gas fillup. I dont think it has a tran cooler. It has a tow bumper, but had to be wired for trailer lights.
My son gabe is on the road again. I told him to keep his top speed at 60, and stop for a cool down and rest every four hours.
Any ideas where this tranny fluid is coming from and why??

Thanks

Axle code 45 isn't 4.10's it's a 3.55 open. Are there 2 coolers up front? Also the above charts are for the second gens with the solid rear axle, not the rear IFS.

If he has the 3.55s and the Class II, then he doesn't have the towing package, so I would assume that he doesn't have the trans. cooler either... I know on the '05, and I assume that it's the same on the other 3rd gens, the towing package came with the 3.73LS, Class III hitch, 7-pin wiring, and the tranny cooler. If the tranny cooler was available separately, that I don't know.

Anyways, the V6 with 3.55s has a max towing capacity of 3240# for 4x2, and 3380# for the 4x4.

3.55s, just my luck. There is one cooler up front behind the radiator mounted to the bottom of the cross member. It looked like one of the lines runs straight up. I'll trace it later.
I am definitely not going to pull more than 3000 to 3500 lbs with it. And BWilliams it does have the tow package with the small tongue that has 3500lbs max stickered on it. This is fine, my wife really likes the idea of another boat. But, she says it's not good idea right now. I told her having another baby wasn't a good idea but, we had one.

And BWilliams it does have the tow package with the small tongue that has 3500lbs max stickered on it.

Just for clarity's sake, this is NOT the tow package. You have a class II hitch, the tow package comes with a Class III hitch. As long as you stay within the limits I've posted from the manual and are careful with your tranny (consider adding a temp gage/cooler) you can pull a 3200-ish$ trailer.

ah, ok. I understand what you're saying now.

good info

Thanks to all who responded to my issue. My son is on I-10 west thru phoenix towing a U-haul. The overheating/fluid overflow problem we had with the trans seems to be cured.
I had him add 1/2 a bottle of Lucas Trans Fix additive and most important I told him to stay out of overdrive on the shift selector. The overheat/fluid spill problem seems solved.
fasteddie

Bit of a necropost here, but I just wanted to verify that I got my rating right?

On the door sticker, it said that I have a 42 Axle code, which means that I have an 'open 4.10' axle ratio.

My other details are 4.0 engine, 4x4 2-door 1999 Sport.

If I read the chart correctly, I get 4880 lbs, correct?

Now, on another note, is the larger (4.10) ratio a good thing? I don't know much about vehicles, so I have no idea what 'open 4.10' means, but if you explain it in layman's terms, I can hopefully grasp it. I know that it means that one of the gears turns 4.1 times faster than another one, but that's about it. :rolleyes:

For those looking for first gen tow capacities...here's what I've found so far...

This comes from a post by Flandry and his 93 Explorer.

There is no info yet for 4.10 geared axles.
From my 1993 Explorer Owners Guide:

4 Door, 2WD, Manual Trans.

3.27 Axle
GCWR - 6,000 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-1,900 lb.

3.73 Axle
GCWR - 7,000 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-2,900 lb.

4 Door, 4WD, Manual Trans.

3.27 Axle
GCWR - 6,000 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-1,700 lb.

3.73 Axle
GCWR - 7,000 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-2,700 lb.

4 Door, 2WD, Automatic Trans.

3.07 Axle
GCWR - 6,000 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-1,900 lb.

3.27 Axle
GCWR - 7,500 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-3,400 lb.

3.73 Axle
GCWR - 9,500 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-5,400 lb.

4 Door, 4WD, Automatic Trans.

3.27 Axle
GCWR - 7,500 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-3,200 lb.

3.73 Axle
GCWR - 9,500 lb.
Trailer Weight Range - 0-5,200 lb.

Maximum Frontal Area of Trailer is 50 sq.ft. for all ratings.
*GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating)

First post here and looking for wise counsel.

We have a 1999 Explorer XLT, 4.0L SOHC and the 3.73 axle ratio. The kit is rated at 5,680lbs max towing capacity.

The Coleman Avalon (Highlander Series) has a GVWR of 4,600lbs and a UVW of 3,805lbs.

80% of the Explorer's 5,680lbs is 4,544lbs - slightly less than the Avalon's GVWR of 4,600lbs. Is this "extra capacity" sufficient to cover most scenarios?

Thanks in advance.

How far will you be towing this? What kind of terrain? Miles on the Ex? That's an awful lot of weight. At the very least you will need a brake controller, a HUGE tranny cooler, and a remote trans filter, with a temp gauge would be an extra precaution.

Thanks for the reply. I suspected 4,600# was probably a stretch but not quite as iffy as you suggest.

We would tow the PUP up/down the East coast. The Ex has 145K, got a new tranny last year.

Another option in that series is the Niagara that tops out at 3,970# GCWR and at 3,275#s dry weight.

OK - here is how it all wrapped up. We signed a contract on a Coleman Westgate PUP. Relevant specs include GVWR 3,000#, UVW 2,155#, tongue weight 180#. Getting a Class III receiver with sway friction and a 6" (or less) utility bar/ball.

I feel much better at this weight class and hope to pull it around with my 1999 Explorer for a few years to come.

Many thanks to all who contributed their thoughts and recommendations. They were all very much welcome and focused our decision in the right direction.

Happy camping.

Even with this simple chart I'm a bit confused..."help"

I have a 97, 5.0, AWD XLT. What would my max be and should have a trans cooler installed for a very long drive?

THANKS!

My owners manual list my 97 5.0 4-door AWD at 11,000 pounds and suggests installing coolers on tranny and power-steering for trips over 50 mile. WOW, is this correct. THAT’S AMAZING!

The 11,000 pounds is the Gross Vehicle Combined Weight. This is the truck, everything in it,(including people) the trailer, and everything on it. Trailer wise you can probably pull around 5,000 pounds. I'd get a cooler, and brakes if towing that much. You won't need a power steering cooler.

Back