Explorer under water!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer under water!!!

Ok so I was mudding in my explorer and got it stuck in the middle of the night down near a boat dock. Well try as we might we couldnt get it out bc it was sitting on the frame and the back wheel wasnt touching ground some how. Well we had to leave it over night but it eneded up raining and flooding on us and not its sitting under water. We tried all day to find someone to help get it out with no luck so its still there :( . We got a guy coming in the morning with a dozer to pull it out of the water if it isnt hiring then it already is but what do I need to do to fix it so I can drive it again. I know to try and not a start it and let it dry. Change all the fluids but whats the chance of it being ok. The water was on the hood when I last seen it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sell it and buy another. I know it sounds harsh, but more than likely you will end up with major electrical problems down the road. If you really want to save it, you need to remove everything that got wet from the interior, up to and including the dash, and let it air dry. you will most likely end up replacing all of the various computers and electronic devices that got wet (radio, eatc if you have it, power seat motors, etc..) Flood damage repairs are not for the faint of heart.

yeah thats what I was afraid of. im hoping it will come out ok in the morning, its the only 4x4 I have atm and its snowing lol. I was stupid for taking it down there, it was a good explorer, great shape, not meant for mudding. Theirs a junk yard in town with nothing but explorer that I might be able to get the electronics from if they dont wana charge to much, their pretty cheap or If I can get it out and cleaned up, sale it like you said.

best of luck to you. If it is nose down and the water level is below the dash you may be able to save it. Remove the seats, console, and all carpet. then remove all of the body plugs and pull all of the wires out of any standing water left. If you have a shop vac vacuum up all of the water that doesnt drain. Do not put the carpet back until it is dry, but once all of the wiring bundles are dry you can put the seats back and drive it if need be. The most important factor here is time. You have to get it torn apart quickly to avoid corroded wires and bad connections. And before you put it all back together check for corrosion around any splices or connectors inside. the outside wiring should survive just fine.

post pics

1359664855839.jpg

Theres ya a pic, at the deepest it was over the hood. We finally got it pulled out but its froze, cant get it out of park, do anything, there wasnt alot of water in the oil so idk. Imma do what I can to fix it, hope it didnt ruin all the HIDs in it. Imma call the insurance company as well and see what they can do lol and imma invest in a snorkle

I have a 2000 xlt with leather, moonroof and 144k miles that I will sell for $4k if you want another one. It is a V8 with AWD, great in the snow!

Dude...they say a picture is worth a thousand words...and they are right. Good luck my friend.

Whoa, that is a sad site indeed. Good luck, I cannot remember the forum members name right now, but his avatar is a very similiar pic with Explorer in green. He may be able to offer some realhand advice, I think he got his Ex running again. I would be thinking of replacing it with a similar model and parting out what you can use and sell...

Yeah got it home finally and keys got locked in it. Tried hooking a different battery up and can't get it unlocked

Yeah got it home finally and keys got locked in it. Tried hooking a different battery up and can't get it unlocked

wow, you sure have some luck. Hopefully it gets better

Wow man, sorry to hear about your situation, i can't imagine what's going through your thoughts right now. Good luck.

When sh*t hit the fan it really hit it for you. I hope you hit a lucky streak and manage to save your ex. It would make an awesome recovery thread.

All I can say is if you sell it PLEASE tell the person looking at it what happened. Don't stick this on someone that just isn't right. Good luck man!

Back