Explorer's Poor Headlights | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer's Poor Headlights

Thanks PeterK9 I have to agree with that report. I saw a Hummer last night with a set of driving light in addition to his regular lights, I may try that to get a little better scattered light vision I don't want to blind anybody.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the distinctive cut off and I do not like it, guess I'd better get used to it though. It's just really aggravating that you're looking out the windshield and it seems like you're gonna run off a cliff or you can't see a curve coming up until you're right on top of it because of the lmited distance......

I agree about the cut off being annoying. On a very dark "rough" country road with no lighting and on low beams the sharp cut off line bounces up and down, up and down almost putting you in an annoying trance, hypnotizing. Style-design over safety is what matters, I guess.

I agree about the cut off being annoying. On a very dark "rough" country road with no lighting and on low beams the sharp cut off line bounces up and down, up and down almost putting you in an annoying trance, hypnotizing. Style-design over safety is what matters, I guess.
I find my HID headlights have the same type of cut-off. This is especially noticeable when driving down a tree lined road with the hi beams on. It makes me feel like I'm driving through a tunnel. :)

Peter

I live out in a "deer alley", so I always am looking for a way to get better lighting in my vehicles. For the Explorer, I added a set of KC Daylighters to the nose instead of altering the factory headlights.

Explorernose.jpg

JDraper,
Nice Picture. They look like KC Series 35 Model 775? Thanks.

I have a 2013 Sport and just replaced the headlights with the PIAA 9005 Extreme White Plus. Since the headlight is a projector, there was no change in the width of the light. However, subjectively, the color is somewhat more white than the stock yellow. They were on sale ($55 pair) and so far, I'd say they were worth it.

2014 Low and High Beam Issue

I searched and am surprised I haven't seen this discussed before..or maybe everyone just lives with it. My low beams have this awful cut off line, so I can't see much of the road in front of me and past this low lying line. Is this typical? Maybe they are aligned wrong? I am used to the '98 Ex having the low beams feather out the light.

When I turn on high beams, my right beam seems to have the light aligning vertical, I actually see a rectangle of light.

Is it typical to have beams out of alignment straight from the factory?

Is it possible, yes. However, the headlight style we have is a projector beam. Projector beams focus more light in the appropriate places and have that sharp horizontal cutoff line. This line is completely normal. That doesn't mean that yours may be lower then it is supposed to. The beams height is a little lower then an oncoming person sits. The right headlight is just a tad higher then the left so not to blind oncoming people.

Our lights are not as sharp of a cutoff but this is how projector beams look

onex-hid-cutoff-line-step-6.jpg

I searched and am surprised I haven't seen this discussed before..or maybe everyone just lives with it. My low beams have this awful cut off line, so I can't see much of the road in front of me and past this low lying line. Is this typical? Maybe they are aligned wrong? I am used to the '98 Ex having the low beams feather out the light.

When I turn on high beams, my right beam seems to have the light aligning vertical, I actually see a rectangle of light.

As blwnsmoke mentioned, you have projector beam type headlights and they definitely do produce a sharp cut-off line as to the HID's.
The headlamps are only adjustable vertically and not horizontally. There are also several threads on headlights and conversions in the 'Modified' forum that can be found using the 'search' function. Here is one of them;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378062&highlight=cutoff

There is also a picture on page 336 of your Owner's Guide that shows the cut-off.

Peter

There is some info and instructions in your manual on the headlights and adjustments. I simply read it, and then raised the beams up some, and this solved the problem, similar to yours, I was having not being able to see as far as need be when the lights were on low beam. A little adjustment goes a long way. I've not been flashed by anyone so must have got it about right. If I remember right I think I raised the beams up turning the adjusters about 3/4 turn....or take it to your Dealer............best regards Plum

Thanks. I will do the measurements listed in the manual and see if they need aligning. I guess I just need to get used to a different kind of light. :/

We live in a rural area without major highways or street lights. Our '13 Explorer has such poor head light radiating, we are almost afraid to drive at night. Anyone out there found a solution for this?

Are you still having this issue? We just picked up a 14 XLT and the lights do the same thing and I get the projector lights on low beam with the cut off line. Now on high beams I'm seeing the tops of trees. I'm curious to know if your having the same issue.

Thank you

Roger
2014 Explorer XLT "Ruby Red"

Are you still having this issue? We just picked up a 14 XLT and the lights do the same thing and I get the projector lights on low beam with the cut off line. Now on high beams I'm seeing the tops of trees. I'm curious to know if your having the same issue.

Thank you

Roger
2014 Explorer XLT "Ruby Red"
Hi Roger. There is a picture on page 336 of your Owner's Guide that shows what the light beam should look like. Also see post 2 by blwnsmoke in this thread. I have the HID lamps and when driving down a tree lined road at night with my high beams on, it almost seems like I'm driving in a tunnel because of the high curvature of the light pattern and their sharp cutoff. This seems to be normal but the birds hate it.;)

Peter

One thing worth pointing out here is that with HID headlights there is not high/low setting within the bulb. There is a shade across the lens which is the cutoff you are seeing and provides "low beam" which really just keeps the light from pointing in the eyes of the other drivers.

When you are on "high beams" the shade is lifted and the full HID light is projected forward.

One thing worth pointing out here is that with HID headlights there is not high/low setting within the bulb. There is a shade across the lens which is the cutoff you are seeing and provides "low beam" which really just keeps the light from pointing in the eyes of the other drivers.

When you are on "high beams" the shade is lifted and the full HID light is projected forward.
That is correct and it is the same setup with the halogen bulbs.

Peter

yes OEM Halogen headlights operate the same way...

I did not know that on Halogens - learn something every day. I will also add that the 'high beam' setting on the HID's lights up the whole neighborhood!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dealer told me there is nothing that can be done. Good thing we have the service report so (god forbid) if anything happens to my wife or another family then I have a leg to stand on for blame.

v/r
Roger
2014 XLT Ruby Red

Back