Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Extreme Makeover:Home Edition.....I should be on TV!!

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Spdrcer34, January 5, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Spdrcer34

Spdrcer34 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bremerton, WA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1992 Explorer XL
      Extreme Makeover:Home Edition.....I WAS ON TV!!

Story goes like this:

Roseanne was a single mother of 2. When she got married her husband had a home in Kingston. It was a small 800 sq. ft. home. Too small for the family of 4, soon to be 5. Shortly after they married they started building another home on the property. That was 10 years ago. Her husband passed away a year later, before the newly constructed home could be completed. It had no interior work done to it AT ALL. No plumbing. No Electrical. Little/no Insulation. It was just a shell. Roseanne was now a widow, and mother of 3. The family continued to live in the 800 sq home. Until this last March. It was gutted in a house fire. Little/no house insurance. From March until November they lived in different travel trailers, and campers on the property.

That's when Ty, Michael, Preston, and Paige showed up.

Then the FUN began.

As some of you know, I work @ Sears. I got to sell some of the Appliances that went into the home that "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" built for the family. I was there the morning that the family was notified, Nov 10, 2004. I had to go back and forth from work to the 'makeover house' 4-5 times over the next 7 days. It was an AWESOME experience, one I will never forget.

It was amazing. One 11/10 there were 2 'houses' on the property. The 'shell' that never got completed, and the small home that suffered a house fire. After the crew spent 1.5 days (working 24hrs/day) preparing the rural country road(s) for the heavy equipment about to come in and out for the next few days. On Friday, at about noon they started the actual demolition process. In a matter of 45 minutes the houses went from standing to rubble being scraped off the ground by a team of D-9's (HUGE front loader Caterpillars). Less than 30 min. later, the ground was dug up, and a foundation was being poured. 4 hours later the 'pre-assembled' frame was being put in place.

The whole thing was AWESOME. The choreography req'd to pull off a stunt like this is un-imagineable. Building an ENTIRE 3,600 sq. ft. from top to bottom, inside and out......including furnishings, and EVERYTHING in the matter of 5 days!

One of the trips I made with my manager. We were delivering 124+/- gallons of paint. It literally took us 3 hours to get from the 'staging area' to the house that was less than a block away. Were waiting inline behind some other deliveries. Including the roofers, and siding.

Another time I went out to deliver the items that Michael came to our store and bought (they spent $23k in 4 hours at my Sears store, and that DOES NOT include most the Televisions, and NONE of the Appliances) They were filming when me and my wife handed Michael the stuff through the window of the house. That was the night before the family got the house.

On Wednesday the 17th, I got a call from my manager at 7:00 am, saying that they need someone to install a few of the LCD and Plasma TV's on the wall, and hook-up the DVD players, stereo equipment. I was so excited. I worked DIRECTLY with Ty, Paige, Preston, and Michael for the next 5 hours. It was so awesome. Me and Ty tried for almost an hour on where to place all the electronics in one of the rooms. In the end, the electronics were just too much for the room, and ended up being put in the closet for the 'walk-through' with the cameras and family. In another room, me and Preston were so upset with the placement of the A/v jacks because the door would hit it unless he made a longer door stop. After I got the stereo hooked up in the Master Bedroom (that fireplace is AWESOME!) they had me doing odds and ends jobs while I was there. I ended up hanging ALOT of pictures with Ty and Paige. If I get on TV, I'll be just about the ONLY guy in the house without a Blue shirt on. I had a Black Button up shirt, Kahki pants, and a blue hardhat. I didn't get my blue shirt until AFTER I was done. I was too busy to track one down. I got Michael's, and Preston's signature on my hard Hat. Ty and Paige were WAY to busy to ask them. I wish I could tell you more, but I can't disclose any specific details about the home until the show airs. It will air 1/9/05 on ABC.

Anyone a fan of the show? Anyone care about this?

Ryan

Last edited: January 11, 2005
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Skibug

Skibug Active Member

City, State:
      Pensacola, FL
      96 Sport 4x4
      That's great, I'll look for you. I like the show and what they do for people. It is just not a silly reallity show to win some prize. They really make a difference in people's lives that really need it.

4. '96explorereddiebauer

'96explorereddiebauer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      I heart Paige. :) She is so freakin' cute!

5. terdrocket

terdrocket Traitor SS

City, State:
      jax, fl
      TBSS
      Its probably one of the most heart felt, do good shows on TV. They do great things for decent people in need. It makes you go AWWWW. But the commercials during it crack me up.

You gather the family 'round the TV to watch a wholesome show flanked by commercials for the horny housewives show and something like "who wants to bang my dad". (i think thats the name of it)

I just wish they showed more of the building process and less of the goofy crap like the host with the bullhorn :confused:

6. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Ranger

City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      98 XLT Supercab 4x2
      i love how they show people building stuff then zoom in on the
      Craftsmen Logo..... but when the carpenters are using a dewalt or a milwakee power drill, the name gets blurred out ;)

7. woodychitwn

woodychitwn Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Chicago, Illinois
      1994 Limited
      I love that show, but I try to avoid watching. It's one of those series where they know how to yank on every heart-string and you find yourself in tears for strangers.

I can't believe you met Ty, I'm so jealous. He's, well, I won't go into it. But, DAMN!

I'll try and TIVO this show though and will look for ya!

8. Trckmagik

Trckmagik Ole Bag Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Celina, Texas
      Very cool. I will watch for you :)

9. A Wise Guy

A Wise Guy Well-Known Member

City, State:
      McHenry, IL.
      '06 Limited Dark Cherry
      Woody you're not alone the wife thinks he's, well, you know.

Dude, you're gonna be on TV. :bounce:

10. Spdrcer34

City, State:
      Bremerton, WA
      1992 Explorer XL
      Just a reminder that the show will air tonight.

ABC, 8pm PST (check local listings)

Ryan

11. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      86-98 Ranger STX
      Saw the show - but didn't know to look for ya until today.

Great house and a great show...

Thanks for helping.

It sounds like Ty and the gang are as nice in real life as they come off on the show - that would be a rare thing these days!

12. Khiori

Khiori Member

City, State:
      Lake Arrowhead, CA
      2009 Toyota Tacoma
      We watched the show but didn't see you. Tonight is the "How'd They Do That" portion. Maybe you'll be in this one. Enjoyed the show very much with this bit of extra association.

13. Spdrcer34

City, State:
      Bremerton, WA
      1992 Explorer XL
      I was on the 'How'd they do that?' show!

I was shown on screen 3 times!...each time with Ty Pennington.

There were 4 people from my store that were IN the house that day, 2 more outside, and I was the only one that ended up on the show!

Ryan

14. Stephen

Stephen Moderator In Memoriam Elite In Memoriam

City, State:
      Annapolis, MD
      '97 Limited
      I saw it last night, first time I'd ever seen it. Great show! Unfortunately I missed the how'd they do that show tonight...

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. Spdrcer34

City, State:
      Bremerton, WA
      1992 Explorer XL
      Here are some pics of me on the show:

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Ryan

16. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Brockton, MA
      '93 XLT 4x4
      Absolutely....

17. Spdrcer34

City, State:
      Bremerton, WA
      1992 Explorer XL
      I have had a few people send me e-mails saying that they don't believe me that THAT is me......well if I wanted to lie about it, I would have atleast picked a better looking guy! LOL

Ryan

18. A Wise Guy

A Wise Guy Well-Known Member

City, State:
      McHenry, IL.
      '06 Limited Dark Cherry
      If they don't believe you tell them you are the guy in the 2nd picture rubbing his forehead and see what they say.

19. Spdrcer34

City, State:
      Bremerton, WA
      1992 Explorer XL
      LOL ...............now I understand the screenname/alias ;) :D

Ryan