F150 Coil Seats Install and Shackles for TTB suspension based platforms | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

F150 Coil Seats Install and Shackles for TTB suspension based platforms

also was going to ask if you had the dimensions for the shackles you used for yours? i want the 2" lift and im going to have my pops make them. but from the searching i have done i cant find the right demensions for a 2" lift.

Thanks, Spare

i still haven't lifted mine yet due to the fact of i don't kno exactly what to get... springs or just the spring seats and the big nut and bolt or what

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what size socket do you need to get the nut off the coil spring mount?

..On the Dana 35, I use an 1-1/8th wrench...I have seen some nuts on there that were 1-1/16 socket size..:dunno:

..On the Dana 35, I use an 1-1/8th wrench...I have seen some nuts on there that were 1-1/16 socket size..:dunno:

how do you get an end wrench on it?

You just do. The Suspension should be hanging when you do this (no weight on it). I also take off the sway bar and loosen the RA nut so it will have farther. This allows me to get my big wrench in there between the coils of the spring but still at an angle, to take it off.

At one time I owned an offset which made it easier to do. Somehow, over the years, I lost the big one (1 1/16 x 1 1/8). I probably left it in someones vehicle over the years...

This is a pic of what I mean by offset.
00944318000.jpg

~Mark

You just do. The Suspension should be hanging when you do this (no weight on it). I also take off the sway bar and loosen the RA nut so it will have farther. This allows me to get my big wrench in there between the coils of the spring but still at an angle, to take it off.

At one time I owned an offset which made it easier to do. Somehow, over the years, I lost the big one (1 1/16 x 1 1/8). I probably left it in someones vehicle over the years...

This is a pic of what I mean by offset.
00944318000.jpg

~Mark

alright thanks. i got my shackles ordered now just gotta get the coil seats

Or, you get a long extension for an 1-1/8 socket and run it down through the top of the coil. With stock coils, its easier.

Or, you get a long extension for an 1-1/8 socket and run it down through the top of the coil. With stock coils, its easier.

yeah but do they even make an 1"1/8 deep socket?

yeah but do they even make an 1"1/8 deep socket?

Yes, should be able to get a set of deep impact sockets from HF for not too much money. I have a set of them in Metric and haven't managed to break one yet in a couple years.

I have a 1 1/4" deep socket I bought from HD around too.

Yes, should be able to get a set of deep impact sockets from HF for not too much money. I have a set of them in Metric and haven't managed to break one yet in a couple years.

I have a 1 1/4" deep socket I bought from HD around too.

well i might end up borrowing one from work if i can find a 1"1/8 one

Does anyone have a good enough write up with lots of pics on how to do the coil seats? I am going to be tackling this with the shackles I just ordered soon, and need good guidance as to how to remove the stuff I will need to in the front. The shackles are not an issue for me, its the coil seats. I need pictures :)

...Did you see pictures in the first post?

They seem to be working for me..:dunno:

Yes I did, those are some awesome pix.

Besides the sway bar removal, do I need to remove the shock?

Opinions on the above please :)

Also, would an open end wrench work for the coil spring nuts? Or do I HAVE to have the closed end wrench???

Opinions on the above please :)

Also, would an open end wrench work for the coil spring nuts? Or do I HAVE to have the closed end wrench???

to get the nuts off you need a 1"1/8 deep socket. i used an impact socket. i dont think you can get an end wrench on it and still be able to turn it

I just use a 1 1/8" combo wrench (open on 1 side, closed on the other). I just pulled a set from the JY and I noticed that some of the trucks actually had 1 1/16" nuts on them.

To pull them I pulled the top nut off the shock, pulled the j-hook off the top of the spring and pulled the nut on the bottom. I then stand on the end of the axle shaft and the spring pulls right off and out.

I can pull a set off an f-150 in about 10 minutes if it isn't rusted (very little rust around here).

~Mark

There's lotsa snow here in winter, and there's lotsa rust on my rig lol. Ok, so I bought a 1 1/8 & 1 1/16 wrench. Hopefully I can do it without having to buy a deep well socket.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Save the $39 .. I just used four 3" washers on each side with 1/2" opening.. 2" lift total cost $8.00

Back