Factory "Air Deflector" kit

Partsman109

Legion of Doom
Reaction score
City, State
Westerly, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 F150 SuperCrew 4x4
Have any of you seen or do any of you know someone that has the factory rear spoiler installed on their 4th gen Explorer?

Up until today, I've only seen the illustration that Ford has in my parts catalog at work. I contacted one of the 2 dealers in the country that show one in their inventory to see if they actually had it.

I would like to see it mounted, painted, etc to help me decide if I want to buy it...but I think that's wishful thinking.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

most cars with spoilers are non-functional units that just add looks.. and some vehicles like all trucks and suv's do not look right with a wing... are you wanting to add this for performance it will add nothing, the only car that comes to mind with a functioning wing is the ZO6... if it is not adjustable then you cant tweak it to adjust down-force. really this is something that only adds function to cars over $75k

the saleen explorers had one and I dont think it added anything but looks

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/q...36/my1stang/XP6 pics/XP6 6-24-04/P1010001.jpg

Thanks for the reply!

I was thinking of putting it on because the factory stuff usually fits/functions/looks better than the aftermarket stuff and because I have never seen another Explorer that had one!

The rear spoiler doesn't necessarily need to be adjustable to be able to add stability to a vehicle.
The before and after effects of the factory rear spoiler I put on my 1970 Camaro was like night and day on the highway...bolt-on, non-adjustable, and on a $1500 car! (back in the day)

I get what you're saying though

I've never actually seen a 4th Gen Exploder with one of these, which is surprising since that's alledgedly a factory part - you'd think dealers would have bolted a few on here or there.

Anyway, what I'm picturing in my head is that it fits like the ones that were very common on Chevy S10 Blazers back in the day. I always figured their function was more to direct air downward across the glass as to keep the back glass free(er) of water during inclement weather; even if aerodynamics/downforce were part of the equation at all then they were mounted and aimed completely wrong. And besides, you gotta be going pretty damn fast for it to matter or be useful anyway.... Or maybe they did nothing and were purely for aesthetics, I dunno.

Thanks for the reply man!

I know exactly what you are referring to...I had a '86 2-door S-10 Blazer a long time ago and it had that spoiler.
I'm thinking the Explorer one won't sit as far back though because of the 3rd brake light...and from what I can see in the pic, there's no provision or cut out for it so it might sit more on top so the 3rd brake light is not blocked.

It is definitely weird that no dealers installed one, and that there are no installed and painted pics of it anywhere. It is definitely a factory part, they sent me a pic of the Ford part number label on the box.

I'm getting the itch to buy it just for the simple fact that no one has one...and that it's pretty much non-existent

After some thought, I decided I wanted this spoiler on my truck.
I ordered it from one of the 2 dealers in the country that showed it in their inventory...Jan Busse Ford in South Dakota. Those guys were great, and more than happy to sell it to me.
It just arrived today with the instructions, template, and the hardware in the box...and the spoiler in one piece! Thank you UPS!

I am so glad you pulled the trigger on this one.... i want to see what it looks like

Me too!...I can't wait to install it

So how exactly does it sit on the truck? Have you held it up as sort of a mock-up yet?

Not yet!...but I'm planning to, I want to see how it sits too!

I finally had a chance today to do a mock up with the spoiler to see how it will sit when it's mounted...

mjxkTW.jpg

...SoCal2V hit it right on! It sits just like the old S-10 Blazer ones used to.

Now i'm debating if I just want to mount it like that or machine some 'adaptors' so it sits more flat.

Curious to what the part number is. Links to the pictures are no longer valid, so I cant see them. Did you ever install it?

This is the only pic I could find right now, I think the other ones are on my computer at home.
pmRvQOb1j

The part number for the primer one that I have is...1L2Z-78500K16-AAF

I haven’t installed it yet, I have other stuff to do to the Explorer first.

Thanks. How does it mount?

It came with a template to show where to drill the tailgate, it bolts on from the inside.

This spoiler is for sale, by the way...$250 shipped or best offer!...PayPal only. Thanks!

The person I sold this spoiler to sent me some pics the other day of it painted and mounted!...

11536C38-0AE8-4498-993B-D932C08F7649.jpeg
3A9ACA7C-7094-4F5B-B151-45C93EAFBCFF.jpeg
9B31A3B2-2665-45C7-BEFC-FE251AF7A906.jpeg
11DAF412-2BA1-417E-970F-FDEF22A2C036.jpeg

wow that looks great did the other guy say if it added anything to the drive? any function? or is it just for looks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back