Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Factory Heated Seat question....

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by Brian Jordan, December 4, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Brian Jordan

Brian Jordan New Member

City, State:
      Ontario, Canada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      I bought a 2010 4.6L Limited a couple of months back and love it. A lot more comfortable, nimble and easier on fuel than my '06 F150 FX4 SCrew it replaced. No real issues to speak of. Still getting used to the shifting characteristics of the 6R60 trans....not sure I'll ever like the torque converter lock up feature in ever gear (makes it feel a little lazy during light acceleration), but otherwise no real complaints.

Anyway, I'm noticing my OEM seats seem erratic in temperature. One moment they're toasty warm and others they kind of just kind of maintain a moderate temp. Have the factory elements got some sort of regulator in them to safeguard them from overheating or something? I mean, its not a deal breaker...but I'd like to make them more consistent if possible. My GF's BMW X3 will nearly singe the skin from your back end if you leave them on...to the point where you've got turn them down a little. Well, adjustability doesn't seem to be an option for the Explorer. OFF and ON seem to be the only two choices.

So...what's the deal. Is this normal? If not, is there a fix, or a work around anyone is aware of?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. michael loibl

michael loibl Active Member

City, State:
      maywood, new jersey
      2006 eddie bauer
      Well for One thing your torque converter should not be locking up in every gear, on the six speed I believe it is just fourth fifth and sixth

4. Christobal65

Christobal65 Active Member

City, State:
      Sacramento CA
      07 Explorer V8- 01 Miata
      The 6R60/ 6R80 are capable of locking up the torque converter in every gear.

5. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Rockland County, NY
      06EB V8 & 07EB V6
      And in 2010, you have 6R80

6. Christobal65

Christobal65 Active Member

City, State:
      Sacramento CA
      07 Explorer V8- 01 Miata
      Yeah I haven't driven a 6R80 Explorer, but the 6R80 in my dad's Expedition locks up every gear, holds the lock nicely and will do a complete downshift more often than my 6R60. My 6R60 seems to favor unlocking the torque converter a lot more. IMO it's better for the health of the transmission to downshift and lock than unlock in a higher gear.

As for the heated seats question I have no idea as my Explorer does not have them :(

7. Zorin

Zorin New Member

City, State:
      Milton, KS
      2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
      Funny you should mention.....my 2006 does the same thing. I figured it was regulating the voltage through the heater coil to keep it from overheating, but I haven't found written evidence of this.

Tim

8. Dag06XLT

Dag06XLT Elite Explorer

2010 Limited 4.6 4x4
      Mine burns your a$$ at first then levels out and maintains a comfortable temperature.