Fair Market Value for 2004 Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fair Market Value for 2004 Eddie Bauer

JeffreyRopp

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Finally letting my 2004 Eddie Bauer (4WD V8 4.6L) go.

Would you guys help me dial in the fair market value? NADA, KBB, Autotrader, Craigslist don't seem to agree.

A few notes and pictures:
Vehicle has always been located in Southern California.
Single family non-smoking ownership
After market Pioneer entertainment system with navigation
Recently replaces tires
Recently serviced air conditioning
New battery
All maintenance records available
Upholstery in perfect condition - replaced the front seat bottoms in the last couple years.
Clear title
118,627 miles

Pics---> https://photos.app.goo.gl/lm2vTDdJfux8b8kH3

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wth 3rd row seating , they run around 5500 here in Oregon

All I can say is:

63K Mile Eddie Bauer 4X4 V8
-3rd Row Seats
-Mint Interior & Exterior
-No maintenance records
-Florida Car that was garaged for over 2 years and never driven in that time.

Bought mine like that in 2014 for $4,600

It then needed ~$1,500 of parts alone (my uncle let me use his shop so i was the free labor lol) of ball joints, brakes, fluids, filters, fix 4X4, fix A/C leak, new tires, and then NY registration, tax, etc...

In total I was probably into mine for at least $6,500 by then end and it "booked" for $7,100 at the time. Another thing, KBB, NADA, etc, MAKE THEIR NUMBERS UP. Take it with a grain of salt and look at what people are asking on CL and local dealers.

But as she sat waiting for me in FL at my uncles shop, he had several guys offer him $7k for it before I even got to see it. (was tempting but I had been searching 3 months for my first car!)

I watched prices since we bought my wife's 2004 loaded XLT in 2014. When she got it NADA said it was worth around $6500 now when I put in the same numbers NADA says $6100 I believe they have gone up as gas prices have fallen.

If I were trying to sell one privately I would go high and make a good detailed ad and point what you're getting, I'm assuming it drives like new as mine does with twice as many miles (and not such great maintenance) There are not many small, body on frame SUVs out there that carry 7 people.

Thanks for the replies. No 3rd row seat which I understand makes it less valuable.
NADA says:
$4,100 for clean trade-in
$6,250 for clean retail

I put it up on craigslist, cars.com and cargurus.com for $5,000. A few inquiries and lots of spammers trying to sell products like carfax.
Does it sound like I've priced it about right?

At that price it should go quick and you'll have people looking at it.

Mine was priced to sell QUICK. My Explorer was posted Monday night around 8~10pm and I almost passed it up cause it was above my spending limit. When I did look at it I thought it was a scam due to it being listed at $4,800 and others just like it for $7k+. Sent it to my uncle who looked at it and bought it Wednesday morning and fought the guy hard due to no A/C or 4x4 and he only just took $200 off.

Story: The owner, who was a widow, wanted it gone because it was her husbands yet she hated the car and got tied of it sitting in the garage after he passed away. So her brother-in-law's neighbor listed it on CL as the brother-in-law didn't want it either. They had countless offers over the phone but the brother-in-law said you had to come buy it in cash. Someone came Tuesday night to buy it but wanted to write a check for less than $4,800. Bother-in-law simply drove it back into the garage and shut the garage. My uncle fought him like hell over the phone as it was neighbor selling it Wednesday morning and only just barely got it. That was after my uncle was relentlessly calling us to wire down the money in order to buy it ASAP cause my uncle knew it was a good deal.

In case it helps someone else down the road, sold mine for $4500 after not fielding any serious offers at $5000 for a couple weeks.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Its a nice truck but it is 14 years old. I would not go higher than $4500 in Iowa. It might be worth more to you to keep it.

Back