Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Fan nut,reverse thread?

Discussion in 'Explorer, Ranger, A/C & Heater systems HVAC' started by evilwind1, September 20, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. evilwind1

evilwind1 New Member

City, State:
      new york
      Year and Model:
      '92 sport
      Question about the nut that holds the clutch fan on. Is it reverse thread and how do I break it loose? Thanks Bill NY:usa:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      Year and Model:
      B2 Mod
      on a 92?

If it is left hand thread it will say on the fan shroud.

I believe your 4.0L OHV in 92 is regular right hand thread.
      You need a special fan clutch tool, you can borrow it from any good parts store for free (leave a deposit)

I ended up renting them so often that I just bought one from Napa for $28, works great! IN fact I jsut used it yesterday.....

4. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT 4x4
      When standing in front of the vehicle, its lefty loosy to take the fan off on a 92 (I just took one off a '92 and '91 within the last few months)

~Mark

5. evilwind1

evilwind1 New Member

City, State:
      new york
      Year and Model:
      '92 sport
      Thanks again! What a drama...Borrowed an air chisel and hit it a few times and then a giant pair of pump pliers. Finally got it(the NAPA by me wanted $80 for tool and no rentals) After I reassembled everything still overheating. Changed to the original t stat and now seems fine. Actually reading a little low but heat cranks. Also flushed out entire system. We'll see what happens. I'll probably be buggin' you guys for more info! Thanks Bill NY:usa: